Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Old
  (#16)
Justinbolin
Hugo Stiglitz

11.08.2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Monster Mike View Post
Looks great, but also looks like a nightmare to make parts for, as everything is molded and integrated. A large part of the Maxx trucks continued success is the HUGE aftermarket parts availability IMO.

The chassis and front/rear clip design looks like a straight money grab to me. Any significant upgrades will come from Traxxas and Traxxas alone. They've taken out a large percentage of what makes the TMaxx and Emaxx so much fun to own and drive, and that's the because of the ability to enhance performance, reliability, and individuality with 2nd party upgrades.

I'm entirely disappointed with this truck.
If you ignore the size of the truck (good luck) and look at it with the body off, it looks like a cheapy radio shack RC to me.

The big advertising push is to showcase the self flipping ability of the X. How about some carbon/fiber, where's the billet aluminum, where's the interoperability and adjustability one needs to set up and dial in an RC for track racing, backyard bashing, or speed runs?

It gets 1 cool point from me for size and that's about it.

After getting lipo batteries, charger, and 6 AA batteries, you still need to upgrade the radio. Who's really going to run a $1,000+ RC with a $50 TQI radio?
The buy in for this truck if you don't already have lipos and a decent charger and good radio is pretty pretty TALL.

- Justin

[1] Gorillamaxx G4 w/Flexteks
[1] Gorillamaxx G4 w/RacerX
[1] Gorillamaxx G4 w/G3.3

"No one can resist my Schwetty balls"[/b]

Last edited by Justinbolin; 11.08.2015 at 02:52 AM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Justinbolin  
Old
  (#17)
RRHobbydepot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.29.2015, 07:19 PM

More of the same from these RC companies lately. I'm surprised its not another big plastic 5th scale with eight scale electronics. Top speed is 35mph using the surprise, 6or 7th scale electronics. This thing taking off would be a dream for Traxxas

Rick's Radical Hobby Depot For all your R/C needs!

Old
  (#18)
MonsterMaxx
Owner of Unlimited Engineering

11.30.2015, 08:28 AM

Vid's in Dutch, but check out how slow the X is once he gets it out on the pavement & BMX track. The thing is a total dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQmxOKYZzM

Makes me wonder if TRX upped the speed on their videos to make the truck look faster.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 11.30.2015 at 08:31 AM.

Old
  (#19)
RRHobbydepot
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.30.2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx View Post
Vid's in Dutch, but check out how slow the X is once he gets it out on the pavement & BMX track. The thing is a total dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQmxOKYZzM

Makes me wonder if TRX upped the speed on their videos to make the truck look faster.
That truck is terrible! Are you sure it wasn't made by Redcat or New Bright RC? Traxxas isn't going to sell anyone anything this big AND quality for 800. Fifth scale electronics would destroy those tires and probably the diffs and gears.

Rick's Radical Hobby Depot For all your R/C needs!

Old
  (#20)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.30.2015, 09:19 PM

It does look sluggish. I wonder if TRX has it programmed in the esc to be easy on startup?

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#21)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

12.01.2015, 05:44 AM

It just looked like it was being driven conservatively to me. There's a part when he first starts driving on the pavement where he blips the throttle and you can see and hear that the power is there.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#22)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

12.01.2015, 11:06 AM

20pounds. Don't forget

I hate being cynical but I think this truck is poor. Compared to Walmart it is very good.

Last edited by Kcaz25; 12.01.2015 at 12:12 PM.

Old
  (#23)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

12.02.2015, 03:14 AM

Motors that size are what, around 3hp? My go kart when I was a kid had a 3hp motor and was as fast as the x-maxx drove in that video. It went 30 with me riding it.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#24)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

12.02.2015, 10:45 PM

Okay yeah. That is not my biggest problem with the truck. I know everything can't have a pan chassis like a buggy or truggy. See rock-crawlers. But I won't buy anything anymore that is not built on that platform. This truck looks like a big slash to me. That to me is a negative. The chassis looks busy and hard to mod. It plastic. Probably my biggest complaint is the plastic motor mount. Metal mounts dissipate heat. (Mine transfers it to the chassis as well.) The servo mount is weird. As great as the self righting is I feel like that is a main feature. That to me is lame. The fact that there is a button. It feels gimmicky and cheesy. They apparently aren't using castle for this. That to me is lame. The wheel hexes are weird. The drivetrain does seem to be good this time though. The diffs are big. That is a positive. I LOVE the suspension. The arms, hinges and shocks look awesome. I hate the shock towers though. People found a way to mod the Revo with all of its weird plastic moldings. See the aluminum bulks(not billet). Maybe we will see an aluminum chassis one day.

Last edited by Kcaz25; 12.02.2015 at 10:46 PM.

Old
  (#25)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.08.2015, 01:14 PM

What's up truckers! Someone has already chunked teeth off the ring gear. Somehow the ring gear is only $8 and it's real easy to change. Hmm, Do you think they were anticipating failures?

Last edited by bruce750i; 12.08.2015 at 01:15 PM.

Old
  (#26)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

12.08.2015, 02:41 PM

Lame!! There isn't an aftermarket option, either(too proprietary). I had high hopes that Traxxas at least didn't screw the pooch on diffs for this beast. :-(

Old
  (#27)
jayjay283
RC-Monster Titanium

12.08.2015, 09:22 PM

here's a pic (supposedly) of the Xmaxx vs Erbe diffs

Old
  (#28)
MonsterMaxx
Owner of Unlimited Engineering

12.09.2015, 09:56 AM

could be a manufacturing defect
could be a bearing failure, that stuff happens in high volume production environment
could be a f'up in heat treat, that sintered metal stuff, you gotta cook it just right - or even a chipped tooth from handling pre-heattreat.
Could be some lil kid making $.50/day forgot to put the grease in that one.
could be a bunch of stuff that'd cause the r&p to fail
it's not often, but...jus say'n, not necessarily a design defect

Here's a Losi 5ive compared to a 1/8th scale, I tried to shoot them at the same angle.

Looks to me like the X's diffs are about the size of the 5ive and those are really beefy diffs.

Tell ya what, send me an X and I'll put a 12s 20HP powerplant in it and then we'll see if the diffs are worth a hoot.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 12.09.2015 at 10:01 AM.

Old
  (#29)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

12.09.2015, 10:47 AM

Agreed, Robin - could be any number of things and hopefully it turns out to be an anomaly, but boy it happened quick. They sure appear to be a big, burly diff that can take some abuse - fingers crossed that it is a fluke. The description seemed like a ring or pinion failure - it seemed like a chipped tooth based on the description. A little too hard and it can happen pretty easy.

Last edited by RC-Monster Mike; 12.09.2015 at 10:50 AM.

Old
  (#30)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

12.10.2015, 07:23 AM

I'm sure Traxxas is now aware of the broken diff and are working on the analysis and remedy.

At least I hope they are...

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter