Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

Old
  (#31)
OldSoldier
E-ReVVo/SoldierMaxx

07.13.2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikeston34m View Post
"OK, I just installed a pair of Traxxas Velineon brushless systems in the E-Revo that I recently saved from the fire. So far I'm VERY impressed. I have only run it at 2s so far (one 2s battery per ESC) and the speed and acceleration seem great for tight tracks. I did notice that I can't pop wheelys anymore I think going to a pair of 3s or reducing the size of the pinion gear would give it the torque to flip itself over from a dead stop. Right now I'm running 20 tooth pionion and stock 68 tooth spur. I'll test a pair of 3s (also saved from the fire) tomorrow."

From everything I've read, the Twin Velineon setup is impressive. But as with most things, there are pros and cons.

You listed just about every pro known to man. LOL

I don't mean to be negative, but there are a few disadvantages to it also.

1. Extra Weight.

2. More Amp Draw - Lower Voltage setups are going to draw more amps to produce the same amount of wattage output at the motor(s). Which brings us to #3.

3. More heat at the motor(s). I've read where people who run this setup, say it runs hotter than what they think it should.

4. 1/8" motor shafts. Easier to acquire pinion gears, but the shafts are alot weaker than 5mm ones. I've seen more than one broken.

Give it a shot on the 20/68 gearing, but you are probably overgeared. Keep a close eye on temps to make sure you don't fry those motors. I would run it for a minute, bring it in and check. Then run it for another minute or two, bring it in and check.

Let us know hot it works out.
Update:
I just tried a pair of 3s Lipo batteries in my twin-Velineon E-Revo. I am VERY impressed with the speed! Its about as much as I can handle. I have 8th scale Crime Fighter tires and the balloon into saucers at full speed and spin on asphalt!! The highest temp I saw after a short bashing session with a couple wide-open-throttle runs was 142 on the motor and 137 on the two speed controllers. The Traxxas instructions say the motors should be kept under 200.

I appreciate the Cons...those are some things I had not thought of. I'll continue testing, but I need to go somewhere with a little more room because it is so fast I cant keep it at full speed for more than a second near the house.

Old
  (#32)
azjc

07.13.2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoldier View Post
Update:
I just tried a pair of 3s Lipo batteries in my twin-Velineon E-Revo. I am VERY impressed with the speed! Its about as much as I can handle. I have 8th scale Crime Fighter tires and the balloon into saucers at full speed and spin on asphalt!! The highest temp I saw after a short bashing session with a couple wide-open-throttle runs was 142 on the motor and 137 on the two speed controllers. The Traxxas instructions say the motors should be kept under 200.

I appreciate the Cons...those are some things I had not thought of. I'll continue testing, but I need to go somewhere with a little more room because it is so fast I cant keep it at full speed for more than a second near the house.
try going to a local school and run it on a soccer/football field with short grass...it will put a smile on your face.........

Old
  (#33)
Topspeedtimmy
trick mad power (tmp)

07.13.2008, 11:30 PM

Actually 20/68 is probably a little undergeared, my dual velineon Revo likes 19/62 a lot; temps stay below 155 in 80 degree weather. It runs hotter at 19/68. Easily 42-45mph at 19/62.

The timmy - Revo 3.3 MM 9XL 4s , Rustler MM 4600 3s
The ferty - Dual velineon Revo 3s, Rustler velineon 3s

Old
  (#34)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

07.13.2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeedtimmy View Post
Actually 20/68 is probably a little undergeared, my dual velineon Revo likes 19/62 a lot; temps stay below 155 in 80 degree weather. It runs hotter at 19/68. Easily 42-45mph at 19/62.
Aaah, Nice!

Here ya go Soldier. Topspeedtimmy is the voice of experience with this setup.

Twin Velineon Brushless
Old
  (#35)
OldSoldier
E-ReVVo/SoldierMaxx

Twin Velineon Brushless - 07.15.2008, 12:05 PM

I can't wait to try 19/52 gearing, but I suspect 19/52 and 20/68 are close to the same thing??? One tooth on the pinion is the same as ??? teeth on the spur?

...I running to the hobby store right now to see if they have a smaller spur gear.

Old
  (#36)
OldSoldier
E-ReVVo/SoldierMaxx

07.15.2008, 12:11 PM

Question for TopSpeedTimmy... or anyone else...

How do you have the twin ESCs wired? I have mine completely separate:

Battery1-->ESC1---Motor1

Battery2--->ESC2---Motor2

ESC1 and 2 are connected to a "Y" cable. I cut the red wire from ESC2 so the Receiver would not have two power inputs. After thinking it through...I don't think it was necessary to cut the red wire on ESC2.

Thanks,

Old
  (#37)
OldSoldier
E-ReVVo/SoldierMaxx

07.15.2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeedtimmy View Post
TST,
I noticed you have a Revo 3.3 with Feigao 9XL and a Mamba Max running at 4s. Are you saying you can run that without overheating? Or do you actually have a Mamba Max Monster?

Old
  (#38)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

07.15.2008, 12:36 PM

OldSoldier - I;ve run that setup for a year - it works fine...

Old
  (#39)
OldSoldier
E-ReVVo/SoldierMaxx

07.15.2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
OldSoldier - I;ve run that setup for a year - it works fine...
Have you tried 5s? Does it Fly or Fry.

OldSoldier - Maryland
E-Maxx FLM chassis/combo-bulks, 10XL, Quark 125, 4-6s
E-Revo 6s MMM Medusa 80mm 2200KV 61.7MPH!

Old
  (#40)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

07.15.2008, 12:49 PM

I only use a MM- I havn't tried 5s / 9L in my revo (mainly due to not having batteries that match that config on a G3R chassis) but have 5s / 1515 2.5D in my hyper ST truggy and it runs fine.

I now run 5s2p on the Revo but am a building 6s2p config but will swap i think to a quark 125 and put the MM in my buggy which only runs 4s...

Last edited by Arct1k; 07.15.2008 at 12:51 PM.

Old
  (#41)
Topspeedtimmy
trick mad power (tmp)

07.15.2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Question for TopSpeedTimmy... or anyone else...

How do you have the twin ESCs wired? I have mine completely separate:

Battery1-->ESC1---Motor1

Battery2--->ESC2---Motor2

ESC1 and 2 are connected to a "Y" cable. I cut the red wire from ESC2 so the Receiver would not have two power inputs. After thinking it through...I don't think it was necessary to cut the red wire on ESC2.

Thanks,
1. 19/52 yields a 2.73 ratio. 20/68 is 3.4 ratio, so it's a much higher gearing. My gearing is 19/62 which is 3.3. 19/52 would be good for a 50mph speed run, may be too high for off-road running.

2. If you plan on running this reliably you will definitely want to link both batteries in parallel to both ESCs. This will make it so the motor systems get the exact same voltage and run the same speed and will also make it so that the LVC kicks in at the same time for both systems.
I'm pretty sure you need to cut the BEC wire, that's what I did and it runs well. The ESC that is powering the BEC tends to run a little hotter than the other one.

3. I actually got my 9XL from arct1k a month ago (the same one he ran for a year? ). But I haven't run it yet, because the Mamba Max has been in the repair shop for 5 weeks. So I've had the Revo for 7 months and I haven't even been able to even run it. I'm not allowed to drive the dual Velineon

The timmy - Revo 3.3 MM 9XL 4s , Rustler MM 4600 3s
The ferty - Dual velineon Revo 3s, Rustler velineon 3s

Last edited by Topspeedtimmy; 07.15.2008 at 02:09 PM.

Old
  (#42)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

07.15.2008, 02:49 PM

TopSpeedTimmy - Don't worry the one that ran in my revo is still in my revo :)

Old
  (#43)
blueb8llz
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.15.2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to try 19/52 gearing, but I suspect 19/52 and 20/68 are close to the same thing??? One tooth on the pinion is the same as ??? teeth on the spur?

...I running to the hobby store right now to see if they have a smaller spur gear.
not always true, but one teeth on pinion is close to 3 teeth on spur.

Old
  (#44)
OldSoldier
E-ReVVo/SoldierMaxx

07.16.2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
I only use a MM- I havn't tried 5s / 9L in my revo (mainly due to not having batteries that match that config on a G3R chassis) but have 5s / 1515 2.5D in my hyper ST truggy and it runs fine.

I now run 5s2p on the Revo but am a building 6s2p config but will swap i think to a quark 125 and put the MM in my buggy which only runs 4s...
What ESC are you using in your 5s/1515 2.5D Hyper ST?

OldSoldier - Maryland
E-Maxx FLM chassis/combo-bulks, 10XL, Quark 125, 4-6s
E-Revo 6s MMM Medusa 80mm 2200KV 61.7MPH!

Old
  (#45)
VintageMA
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.16.2008, 12:12 AM

I've been using a 1515/2.5D on 6S for a while now in my E-Revo on 18/62 with Badlands and it is geared for a solid 35 mph. With temps the way they are right now I think I can go up to 20/62 and get closer to 40mph with no problems at all, but I can't see doing any on-road with the E-revo that much and the 35 is a fun speed for bashing around and no parts breakage with lot's or torque at hand.

“Everyone has a right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege.”