RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

Revo full-scale benchmark tests
Old
  (#1)
Topspeedtimmy
trick mad power (tmp)

Lightbulb Revo full-scale benchmark tests - 09.29.2009, 12:04 AM

I had this old iPod sitting around and thought it would be fun to try out some auto benchmarking software designed for full-size vehicles. It uses the ipod's built-in accelerometer to measure the rate of acceleration (lateral g's) and thereby determine how fast your car is.

I just taped the ipod to the vehicle in the proper orientation and did some runs down the street. It provided a plethora of information such as horsepower, 0-30mph time, 0-40mph time, as well as the time it took to go several preset distances. We tipped both vehicles a few times due to extreme brushless wheelies, but the ipod came out with only minor scratches.

It measured a speed that was significantly higher than either of our revos can actually go, but I attribute that to the backwards hunch during acceleration, which may have caused the g's to be measured a little bit too high and therefore cause it to think that the vehicle was accelerating faster than it actually was.

It even made some handy graphs. "Revi" refers to a dual velineon e-revo. "Redvesto" refers to a 9XL 4s revo 3.3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	7752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	7753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	7754  

The timmy - Revo 3.3 MM 9XL 4s , Rustler MM 4600 3s
The ferty - Dual velineon Revo 3s, Rustler velineon 3s

Old
  (#2)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

09.29.2009, 04:05 AM

we are going to get the accelerometer for our eagle tree soon...that will be fun...then you get G force data as well as amps, volts, temps and true speed.

cool idea!!
i put an app on my phone (ericsson K850I, pretty much does everything the I-phone does but clunkier cause it is older than an I-phone) that does acceleration...but alas it wont record the G-force data...
cool idea though...
we want to measure the G force of a crash (you know, the old 'face-full-of-down-ramp') and see what we get.

E-revo 3.3 conversion, 249kv outrunner, 6s, MMM
the porthole from the noob world an here has been opened!! that's how i got in.
  Send a message via MSN to shaunjohnson  
Old
  (#3)
ticklechicken
RC-Monster Stock

09.29.2009, 04:30 PM

Accelerometer for an eagle tree? I can't find that anywhere. Link?

Old
  (#4)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

09.29.2009, 06:42 PM

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Car/car.html
Not sure if the G-Force thingy is also the accelerometer?
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#5)
J57ltr
RC-Monster Aluminum

09.29.2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeedtimmy View Post
I had this old iPod sitting around and thought it would be fun to try out some auto benchmarking software designed for full-size vehicles. It uses the ipod's built-in accelerometer to measure the rate of acceleration (lateral g's) and thereby determine how fast your car is.

I just taped the ipod to the vehicle in the proper orientation and did some runs down the street. It provided a plethora of information such as horsepower, 0-30mph time, 0-40mph time, as well as the time it took to go several preset distances. We tipped both vehicles a few times due to extreme brushless wheelies, but the ipod came out with only minor scratches.

It measured a speed that was significantly higher than either of our revos can actually go, but I attribute that to the backwards hunch during acceleration, which may have caused the g's to be measured a little bit too high and therefore cause it to think that the vehicle was accelerating faster than it actually was.

It even made some handy graphs. "Revi" refers to a dual velineon e-revo. "Redvesto" refers to a 9XL 4s revo 3.3.
The speeds are probably high because of formulas used on those devices. A lot of HP calculators have a "fudge factor" built in to the algorithm account for varying things, but it makes really light vehicles read wrong. I ran into this testing a G-tech on a go-cart. It said that we were putting out over 8 hp with only a 5 hp motor. The HP also doesnít matter how fast you start out, itís how fast you accelerate and weight that are used to calculate HP. On an engine driven car the HP peak is going to be at the end of the run, whereas an electric will be at the beginning of the run.

Jeff

The Warnings & Cautions discussed in this manual cant cover all possible conditions/situations. It must be understood that common sense and caution are factors which cant be built into this product.

Old
  (#6)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

09.30.2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Car/car.html
Not sure if the G-Force thingy is also the accelerometer?
it is, an accelerometer mesures G-force and via a series of calculations you can estimate data like the I-phone does.

E-revo 3.3 conversion, 249kv outrunner, 6s, MMM
the porthole from the noob world an here has been opened!! that's how i got in.
  Send a message via MSN to shaunjohnson