RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > CORR Trucks - Slash, SCRT10, etc.

Ultima SC-R build challenge
Old
  (#1)
AMorgan

Ultima SC-R build challenge - 07.19.2010, 12:15 PM

Well, after fighting my Slash to work the way I wanted it to for the last few months while all my friends were busy driving their SC trucks, I broke down last night and bought an Ultima SC-R with overnight shipping. I've been wanting one for a while and finally decided to just do it. Here's where the challenge comes in.

I want to take it racing this Friday. The kit should be at my door sometime tomorrow. I'm planning to document the build here since I've yet to see a build thread for this truck. I have all the running gear and should have everything I need by tomorrow or Wednesday (waiting on some rims and foams) to build this truck up. I'm putting my Tekin 17.5 system into it, a JR 9100S, Futaba FASST RX and Thunder power battery. The hardest part of this build will be liberating these components from my Slash. Obviously this will build quickly, so I hope to have some details in the next day or two (building will take priority over uploading photos). Look forward to sharing this with everyone. If it goes well, I may keep this open to chronicle how the truck does with my driving and racing, etc. Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

07.19.2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMorgan View Post
Well, after fighting my Slash to work the way I wanted it to for the last few months while all my friends were busy driving their SC trucks, I broke down last night and bought an Ultima SC-R with overnight shipping. I've been wanting one for a while and finally decided to just do it. Here's where the challenge comes in.

I want to take it racing this Friday. The kit should be at my door sometime tomorrow. I'm planning to document the build here since I've yet to see a build thread for this truck. I have all the running gear and should have everything I need by tomorrow or Wednesday (waiting on some rims and foams) to build this truck up. I'm putting my Tekin 17.5 system into it, a JR 9100S, Futaba FASST RX and Thunder power battery. The hardest part of this build will be liberating these components from my Slash. Obviously this will build quickly, so I hope to have some details in the next day or two (building will take priority over uploading photos). Look forward to sharing this with everyone. If it goes well, I may keep this open to chronicle how the truck does with my driving and racing, etc. Thanks.
thats nothin... I bought a kit at 8am, I was in my first qualifier at 11, took 5th overall that day
it was an sc10...

Old
  (#3)
AMorgan

07.20.2010, 12:34 AM

Hahaha, I never said it would be my fastest build ever. I just figured I could share with everyone and make my race Friday without much fanfare. Plus I haven't seen any builds and I know there have to be a few other people considering one. I am just anxious to get started. I think I tracked my truck 35 times today at least.

Old
  (#4)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

07.20.2010, 05:13 AM

That will probably be my next sct. A little on the expensive side though since it doesn't come with tires or a body.

Might just end up getting a regular one and stripping down the hopups from my rt5 though. Truck class is dead here and I dont think I will be running it anymore.

Kyosho SC, tekin rs, D3 17.5
Hyper 9e, mmp,tekin 1900kv
Associated sc10 4x4, novak 4.5

Old
  (#5)
AMorgan

07.20.2010, 09:37 AM

It was a little pricey (I actually had a $5 credit from amain and used a 25 dollars off coupon, so that knocked 30 bucks off it) but from everything I've read, the quality of the kit is worth the premium compared to other top end kits. It was this or the SC10 FT, but the FT won't be out for a bit yet. Same price range, though you do get a body. I picked up rims, tires, a JConcepts body, some paint and a few accessories last night, so I should be good to go. Box is currently out for delivery. I am doing my best to wait patiently.

Old
  (#6)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

07.20.2010, 02:02 PM

depending on which JC body you bought, it may or may not fit without hacking it to shreds, the stock kyosho body is a good 1/2-1in wider than any other out there...

Old
  (#7)
AMorgan

07.20.2010, 03:09 PM

I bought the direct fit Manta body for the Ultima SC. The truck got here a little bit ago. I can't wait to start on this thing. They pack it in a tiny box and there's only 6 assembly bags. All my electronics are ready for mounting and I've got my desk space cleared out. Couple more hours and then I can get started.

Old
  (#8)
Snowman 78
5,280 feet above sea level

07.20.2010, 05:00 PM

I look forward to the build!

Brushless Rustler
AX10
Venom Creeper
Slash 2WD
Slash 4WD

Old
  (#9)
JoFreak
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.20.2010, 05:18 PM

Me too.
AMorgan: Why do you have to wait a couple more hours?

Old
  (#10)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

07.20.2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMorgan View Post
It was a little pricey (I actually had a $5 credit from amain and used a 25 dollars off coupon, so that knocked 30 bucks off it) but from everything I've read, the quality of the kit is worth the premium compared to other top end kits. It was this or the SC10 FT, but the FT won't be out for a bit yet. Same price range, though you do get a body. I picked up rims, tires, a JConcepts body, some paint and a few accessories last night, so I should be good to go. Box is currently out for delivery. I am doing my best to wait patiently.

Yeah the qualify of my kyoshos(rt5,rb5) have been great. Just dont know if I can bring myself to pay $300 for a 10th scale truck that still needs $75 of parts to finish it.

Old
  (#11)
AMorgan

07.21.2010, 11:32 AM

I hear you, Gixxer. Actually, after getting it and starting to build it, I'm kind of curious if it was worth the 300 bucks. Don't get me wrong, I love this truck and can't wait to run it, but I have a few gripes that I will need to improve, I'll make a note of these as I start to post pictures. I already have a need/want mods list started. It's a nice truck, and if my driving is up to par, I think it can win me some races and the overall quality has been quite good so far. To be fair, I only have 3 items on my "need" list and one of those probably isn't necessary and the other two are going to be about 30 bucks total. Overall though, I love the design of this truck and it's substantially easier to work on that the SC10s I've worked on, so I am very happy with my purchase, but if looking at what's available, you'll have to ultimately decide if it's worthwhile to you to get it. I still say it was worth it for me and what I wanted, but an SC10 would probably do similar things for a little less cash. I really didn't like how difficult the SC10 is to work on, ultimately.

Pictures will go up tomorrow. I've been doing my best to document the whole build so far. I currently have a rolling chassis and will build the rest tomorrow, including the shocks (maybe that's why I'm questioning the purchase price so far... I haven't even touched the velvet shocks yet). This thing has me seriously consiering an RB5 to drop a 8.5-10.5 into. It's got killer looks and is super easy to work on and simple to adjust with TONS of adustments. I'll be doing photos in the AM and finishing the build in the afternoon.

Old
  (#12)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

07.21.2010, 12:08 PM

If you want an rb5, I have an extra that I could sell you. I picked up a 2nd one from a buddy during the winter and then just got hooked on 4x4 sc. I dont even run my main rb5 anymore (at least not until indoor season) so I definitely dont need 2.

Old
  (#13)
AMorgan

07.21.2010, 12:24 PM

Hrm, that's definitely something to think about, though I have no money right now. Maybe if I sell off my E-Revo I'll pick it up.

Old
  (#14)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

07.22.2010, 01:42 AM

if its not on your list already, you NEED alloy hexes on the rear, I'v snapped 3 stock axles and 1 CV axle. they break at the worst times too...

cut the front and rear "hooks" off of the bumpers, V2 rear hubs, and maybe an alloy front bulkhead

Last edited by whitrzac; 07.22.2010 at 01:44 AM.

Old
  (#15)
AMorgan

07.22.2010, 09:45 AM

Starting to edit photos now. I am planning to do Al hexes all the way around, that's on the need list. Beyond axle breakage, the fact that they give out plastic hexes was kind of hoaky. I'd have paid 20 more bucks to have them in the box. I think they kit came with V2 rear hubs. Not sure exactly what you mean by the hooks on the front bumper. I'm not 100% on the front bulkhead. I'll probably run it until there is a problem.