RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
XO-1 spur-to-pinion adapter that includes the "Cush Drive"?
Old
  (#1)
Dr_T
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

XO-1 spur-to-pinion adapter that includes the "Cush Drive"? - 11.22.2014, 05:38 PM

Hi guys,

Maybe I'm going a bit overboard here, but I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to make a spur-to-pinion adapter for XO-1 spurs by mimicking the alloy part of the "Cush Drive" as the mounting part for the motor shaft. If that alloy part (think it's called the "Cush Drive Key", Traxxas part no. 6465) would be replaced by a custom CNC-ed part that can be fixed to the (8 or 6 mm) motor shaft with a set-screw, then the whole Cush Drive function would even be intact, which sounds great to me for running with a center spool. Possible concern might be the thickness of that gear mount assembly though -whether that would fit on standard 20mm shaft lengths- and possibly the weight.

Reason I ask is I'm looking for ~50T size mod 1 pinions. I know they exist in steel, but I think they might get too heavy. Also, I want to see if I can avoid steel-to-steel gearing; given the pinion will be paired with a much smaller 34T spur, I think it makes most sense to have the pinion (biggest) in plastic/composite/delrin and the spur (smallest) in steel, or even both non-steel.

Any thoughts?

If anyone that has access to XO-1 parts could post the thickness (and weight?) of the of the spur-mount assembly, I would be very grateful.

EDIT:
Could it be as simple as just tapping a set screw hole in the cush drive key :D? Does anyone know the diameter of the center hole of the key?

Last edited by Dr_T; 11.22.2014 at 05:56 PM.

Tags
adapter, cush drive, spur to pinion, xo-1