Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
simplechamp's first scaler build - SCX10 Honcho
Old
  (#1)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

simplechamp's first scaler build - SCX10 Honcho - 06.08.2011, 10:48 PM

Here is my first foray in the world of scalers. I really wanted to get an RC4WD Trailfinder, but wasn't sure about dropping that much cash on something I wasn't sure I'd like. So I settled on a lightly used stock SCX10 Honcho roller I found on RC Tech, and from there I did the following:

1) Full teardown, inspection, and reassembly. Everything was in pretty good shape but apparently the original owner has never heard of threadlock so I had to go through all the metal-to-metal connections. I installed HD ring/pinion gears, and Robinson hardened steels transmission internals. One of the stock driveshafts was screwed up, so I used an Integy driveshaft. Eventually I plan to get the RC4WD Punishers, or MIP.

2) One of the most obvious things is the shocks, which are Revo GTR shocks. I know some may not like them since they aren't scale. Personally I like how they look. They are cheap, easy to build, and I use them on my 1/8 GT car so I can share parts. I changed the lower ends to longer ones to get the correct length. The springs are yellow 4 lb/in Jato springs. The piston holes are drilled out quite a bit compared to stock, forgot the actual size bit I used though.

3) I picked up a chassis-mounted servo kit and steering link from Level 3 RC on Ebay. Not sure how it compares to the other CMS kits, but it was pretty cheap so I wanted to try it. I adjusted the spacing of the mount, steering link, and draglink to reduce bumpsteer. Still need to play around with it a bit as I think I can get some more steering out of it.

4) Made a simple ESC mount for the rear portion of the frame with 1/8" aluminum plate.

5) For wheels/tires I have the stock Axial beadlocks with Flat Irons, and also RC4WD Pro10 stamped steel beadlocks with Proline TSL SX Super Swampers.

6) Electronics are Sidewinder V2, Holmes Hobbies Revolver Black 1100kv outrunner, 3S 2200mah 20C Turnigy lipo, and Blue Bird servo. Servo is just a temp, I have a Spektrum S6030 on the way (278 oz-in, 0.15 sec). I used my EagleTree to test out the setup and it drew 10A peak, with an average of 1A. Should be able to get right around 2hrs runtime on a charge.

7) Body is the Proline 1973 Ford Bronco. It was my first time painting a body, so I guess it turned out OK. Also have a Ford F-650 body on the way.

8) Even with the extended rear body posts the back end of the body hung too low. My solution was to cut the round nubs off the bottom of the stock rear mounts, and also off the top of the extended mounts. I then drilled them out and threaded them together using an M3 grub screw. Now the rear end sits nicely.

So far I've really been enjoying this thing. It's a nice change of pace from the other "go fast" vehicles I have. And being able to run 2hrs on a single charge is great. Next up on the to-do list is to 4-link the front and rear, and work on a custom front bumper (going to try my hand at brazing).

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Last edited by simplechamp; 06.08.2011 at 10:52 PM.

Old
  (#2)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.12.2011, 05:11 PM

I decided even the softest Jato springs weren't soft enough, so I tried out some new shocks. They are Hot Racing 100mm air shocks. Usually stay away from HR stuff, but heard these were OK. They had quite a bit of stiction out of the box, so I removed one o-ring from each and lubricated them with SuperLube PTFE grease. Now they are butter smooth. Firm springs in front, medium in rear. Articulation improved a lot.

A few pics from testing out the new shocks around the yard:

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Old
  (#3)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.13.2011, 07:09 PM

Painted up a new body, Proline Ford F-650. I think it will look really good with the black Pro10 stamped steel beadlocks.

Old
  (#4)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

06.14.2011, 10:45 PM

outrunner, nice!

That body looks pretty sweet too, like the tool box in the back of it.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#5)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.20.2011, 09:15 PM

Today I 4-linked the rear end of my SCX10. Used the Axial truss with Delrin links and RC4WD plastic rod ends. I made the links 2mm longer to adjust the pinion angle upward a little bit. Going to 4-link the front in the next few days with the same setup.

I also swapped out the cheapy Blue Bird servo for a Spektrum S6030 (278 oz-in, 0.15 sec). Tested the servo using the Sidewinder internal BEC, but will be installing a Castle 10A external BEC tonight.

Old
  (#6)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.23.2011, 02:17 AM

The Sidewinder internal BEC was definitely no match for the amp hungry Spektrum servo. Installed the Castle external BEC and set it to 6.4V, no need to worry about RX brownouts or resets now.

Old
  (#7)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.24.2011, 06:56 PM

I 4-linked the front today. Again I used the Axial truss, but this time I was able to use the plastic links that were on the same parts tree as the truss (AX80043). With both the front and rear now 4-linked the suspension is greatly improved (the stock Y-type 3-link setup was definitely restricting travel and articulation)

I also made a new draglink. With the CMS kit I used the draglink angle is pretty steep and seems to bind up the steering. Adding some spacers helped a little, but I think this new draglink will help even more. I used the bent rodends and spacers left over from the stock upper suspension linkages. It should allow the draglink to be angled further upward and rearward without binding (see pic: old link top, new bent link bottom). Tomorrow I'm going to the LHS to get a new servo horn, then I can test it out. Eventually I will replace the 2 spacers with a real single piece link, but for now to test it out they should work fine.

Last edited by simplechamp; 06.24.2011 at 07:00 PM.

Old
  (#8)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.25.2011, 06:50 PM

I got a servo horn today and then tested out the new steering link. Instead of using the 2 spacers I ended up using the original link along with the bent rod ends. It was longer, but that ended up helping. I have as much steering as I can now with the stock knuckles, and still was able to keep my servo mounted with the CMS kit. Will definitely be getting some high-steer knuckles soon to try out.

I ordered up some of the 1.55" steel OEM beadlocks from RC4WD, along with a set of Rock Crusher X/T tires. This smaller diameter wheel and tire combo should look really good with the F-650 body.

Old
  (#9)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.25.2011, 07:53 PM

A few articulation shots after converting to 4-link and switching to the bent draglink. What a huge difference it makes!

Old
  (#10)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.26.2011, 04:32 PM

Ran today out at some local walking trails. Only got to run for an hour before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled through, but still had a great time and got some good pics before I had to pack it in.

Old
  (#11)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.26.2011, 06:34 PM

Here are some updated underbody shots. You can see I soldered the BEC input directly to the board of the Sidewinder. I think it's a cleaner install than having it soldered to the battery plug. Doing it that way voids the ESC warranty, but since it's an inexpensive ESC and a low demand setup I'm not too worried about frying it. Other things that have changed: installed the spur gear cover, and added another strap for the battery tray.

I've been starting to think about switching to a sensored setup. The sensorless setup has been working great, but I want even more low-speed control. Looking at the MMP 1-cell (since I don't need the fan and internal BEC) and a 25.5T motor with 14mm rotor (Novak Ballistic Crawler, or Team Epic D3 Crawler). I really wish Castle would come out with an offering for crawlers/scalers. A low kv, sensored 1410 would be perfect, or even a sensored outrunner.

Old
  (#12)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.29.2011, 06:24 PM

I decided to order the MMP 1-cell and go for a sensored setup. The motor will have to wait since I'm moving to Cleveland for job training next week, and the Novak Build-A-Ballistic wouldn't be done in time to ship to FL. But as soon as I get to Cleveland I'm ordering a 25.5T with 14mm rotor. Should be right around 1100kv with the larger rotor, same as my outrunner.

Already scoping out trails to run on in Cleveland, looks like there are plenty of good spots. FL is too flat!

Old
  (#13)
skellyo
RC-Monster Brushless

06.29.2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I decided to order the MMP 1-cell and go for a sensored setup. The motor will have to wait since I'm moving to Cleveland for job training next week, and the Novak Build-A-Ballistic wouldn't be done in time to ship to FL. But as soon as I get to Cleveland I'm ordering a 25.5T with 14mm rotor. Should be right around 1100kv with the larger rotor, same as my outrunner.

Already scoping out trails to run on in Cleveland, looks like there are plenty of good spots. FL is too flat!
When are you moving down here? Still coming to Orlando, right?

Old
  (#14)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

06.29.2011, 08:31 PM

Skellyo: I've been in Orlando for a little over a month, and now have to leave again already. It was just weird coincidence that I got called in for a job interview right when I was getting ready to come down here. I got the job, and that's why I'm moving again so soon. PM me if you can get out this weekend to have a beer, it will be my last weekend here in Orlando.

Back to the build: I have been waiting for some new body posts for a little while. If you've been following my build you might remember that I cannibalized the stock rears to make the extended rear mount taller. Well today they arrived and I got to mount up the F-650 body. I threw the Pro10 stamped steel beadlocks and TSL SX Super Swampers back on as well. With the 1.9" wheels and tires it looks like I might need to do a little clearance trimming on the fenders, but I'm going to wait until I see how the 1.55" setup looks before I take anything off.

Last edited by simplechamp; 06.29.2011 at 08:39 PM.

Old
  (#15)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

05.05.2013, 01:36 AM

Got my SCX10 back out for a little runtime. Since I last posted I have switched a few things: now running with Gmade XD piggyback shocks, Bluebird brushless HV servo, and an aluminum front bumper.