RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

Project drift truck
Old
  (#1)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

Project drift truck - 08.18.2013, 10:16 AM

I don't know if this is a good idea or if it will even work as I plan it too.

Last year I saw these trucks around at department stores and thought the body looked half cool. They are of course toy grade and I wasn't going to pay $150 to just have the body. I looked around briefly but didn't find any 2nd hand ones F/S.

A person I know, not a friend, not a relative, just a person I know through others dropped one off asking me to fix it. I had fixed his mates TRX Bandit a couple times and now he brought the only rc he's ever owned. I couldn't believe he actually thought it was really cool when it was running!? This guy is in his early 20's he's not a kid. Anyway it was a simple case of dead batteries. I fixed it 6 months ago or more, he's never been back for it.

Running my lst out the front of my house lately I've busted the front shock tower again. Honestly I try not to do anything silly but when it flips the bitumen is unforgiving. I salvaged parts from 2 towers, straightened them and used them. The remnants are in the pic (all bent/broken)

So I make the decision to use the truck sitting in my garage doing nothing. Actually my kids used it a bit but not for some months now. I remove the body and quickly discover it's not going to sit on the lst nicely at all because of the high shock tower at the rear (remember it's a ute/pick up meaning the back of the body is low). Over at rctech I'm looking around for a suitable chassis, I was thinking buggy when I found a muggy that used to be in my possession. It sold just before I asked about it. He had other cars in his thread. The dm-1 would've been ideal but I'm being a cheap arse as usual so bought the nexx8. It came with upgraded shock towers and chassis braces which is the main things to upgrade on this car as I have read.

Did some research on the centre driveshaft lengths and how long the wheel base is and what I need to extend it to (to fit body). I worked out I can leave the front half of the chassis alone and just extend from behind the CD with an XTM 182mm dogbone. I used the same dogbone in the lst build.

Being cheap arse as I said I bought a leopard 4092. I mainly got that because I thought the body is really heavy so I'm going to need a lot of torque to get/keep the wheels spinning. I just hope the nexx8 drive train is up to the task. Speaking of which I got a ofna torsen diff which I'm considering using in the build, just not sure if it goes rear or centre.

Another cheap arse buy was the 6s fuze esc. I'm half regretting that already because of the manual programming, should've gone with castle

In my looking around I find a few scalers have been using these bodies. I think there was a different version of it available too.

Old
  (#2)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

08.18.2013, 10:50 AM

Whilst at the LHS I find a set of these. They seemed right up my ally. I'm hoping there will still be some grip from the weight of the body but they will help unload the drive train. If they don't work out then I've still got a big motor for running grippy tires.

The car arrived and I pulled off the stuff I don't think I'll use

Bit of a mock up to see how the electrics will lay

The car had upgraded towers and the parts bag included the originals. I used the stock front shock tower on the back to try and lower the height to suit the tray in the body. The shocks are a tad long of course but again I'm guessing the weight of the body is going to need extra spring pressure (and thicker shock fluid)

A mock up with the body. You can see the stock chassis touching the ground at the rear

Today I got a few hours and managed to squeeze out the most part of a new chassis. I decided to push the diff to one side a little to make more space for the battery

You'll notice in the under shot the holes are all symmetrical oops!

The chassis seems to have a little flex but not enough for me to worry about. I may remove the esc tray as well, I have space behind the motor and one of the posts conflicts with the rear driveshaft. I thought it would just clear when I did the mock up but I was about 3mm out.

Old
  (#3)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

08.18.2013, 10:55 AM

I still haven't mounted the body yet but of course I had to see if it will fit

This project may well be held up for a few weeks since I haven't decided on what motor mount I want to use (shipping is no less than 2 weeks but could be more).

Last edited by pinkpanda3310; 08.18.2013 at 11:02 AM.

Old
  (#4)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

08.25.2013, 08:06 AM

I got a bit more done this weekend. I fitted the stock motor mount because I haven't done anything about finding one that fits. With that I couldn't resist taking it for a 'test' (even without the body). The cheapy wheels provided a good amount of slip but I was hoping they would last just a little longer.

All the electrics are just double sided taped

Here is the motor mounted. I was thinking if I could fix the top of the mount to the top of the diff mount it might be OK.

In this pic you can see all the dust from the drift tires.

I used maybe half a pack during the test which included stopping to adjust camber, esc settings, tx settings etc... this was the result - 1 front wheel and the 2 rears

I'll try and get some video nest time. I tried this time but holding my phone and driving was more than I could handle

Old
  (#5)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

08.25.2013, 09:14 AM

Awesome project, I love the scale bodies! I've got a corvette body that would be perfect for an xo-1!

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#6)
CerberusVI
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.25.2013, 09:05 PM

Nice looking project! is that the leopard 4092 i see in there?

Old
  (#7)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

08.26.2013, 08:12 AM

Thanks guy's.

Harry - the XO-1 crossed my mind too but only briefly. Extra $ just for me to slice and dice it a revo might've done the trick too. I'm just not keen on traxxas anymore but I still wouldn't mind a revo just once.

Cerberus - yes it's the reasonably priced overkill motor in there

Old
  (#8)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

09.08.2013, 09:29 AM

So my laziness is reaching new levels. The last time I ran the car a small stone jammed under the (plastic) spur gear and wore a groove in all the teeth. The gear mesh was binding a little as a result. Of course, I did absolutely nothing to fix it

On top of that, I kind of temporary mounted the body because I wasn't sure how tippy it was going to be. As a result one of the R clips fell out on the first and only run with the body on. I should have spent the afternoon fixing everything properly since it seemed a success but instead I dropped it in the garage and walked away

BUT..! to make up for my downfalls I did get some video for you guy's My daughter was the person in charge of media coverage. I'm sorry I can't work out the embed code anymore so you'll have to use the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOHc...LAXzleSPoXMd2w

Oh yeh, and the front right wheel only had a strip of tire on the inside edge of the rim.

Last edited by pinkpanda3310; 09.08.2013 at 09:31 AM.

Old
  (#9)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

09.10.2013, 10:00 PM

Looks like a lot of fun. Is that a small chalk race track on your drive way? lol

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#10)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

09.11.2013, 08:46 AM

It kind of was a track but nothing to do with me, more to do with my kids muckin around.

Old
  (#11)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

09.12.2013, 02:57 AM

Awesome video. I laughed when the door flew open! I want some drift tires now.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#12)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

09.13.2013, 03:07 PM

Ya gotta luv and appreciate low buck fun, good work PP.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.