RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

Bombette
Old
  (#1)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

Bombette - 09.22.2016, 01:09 PM

Decided to pick up a RR10 Bomber kit for my birthday. These seems to be a good basher, crawler and trail truck all in one so that sounds fun.

The kit is much nicer than the RTR since you typically get ride of all electronics anyways. Plus beefy 4mm links, front universals, HD diff gear, aluminum shock bits, stickier tires, etc all sound like needed upgrades anyway. So with a nice coupon code from Tower, it was delivered.

Well packaged inside the fancy box. Detailed instruction were easy enough to follow, making the build easy peezy

Night 1, only had a little time but was able to get both front and rear axles built.
Night 2, links and transmission/transfer case followed. Installed an old Tekin Gen1 17.5T for now.
Night 3, started on the cage and got it all together for the most part. Once i had it together, I thought to myself, "for having solid straight axles, these fronts sure have lots of negative camber". I then realized that I had the knuckles swapped...

Night 4, putting together the beadlocks and tires. Installed Axials hexes for now but I think I'll replace those with SLW hubs soon. Stock hubs seems to spin and break.

Day 5, a Saturday, I had plenty time to wrap up the build, install the electronics, and get it all together minus the body panels.

Castle MMP, Castle BEC, Holmes HV500 servo, Tekin 17.5 motor, Turnigy 3s. This servo is incredibly fast and strong!

Day 6, Sunday, was time for painting the body panels. I decided to try liquid mask for the first time. This stuff is pretty cool. I was anxious and didn't apply multiple thin coats but it still came out decent. There were a couple lines where I messed up and didn't get all of the mask off. Overall I'm happy with the results. She looks good from far but she's far from good.

Day 7, I painted the letters on the tires white. I dig the look.

My 2.5yr tried to add scale features...

(you can see where I wasn't so professional with the liquid mask here)

Tooks it out for some quick shakedown runs. Stock gear and the worn out 17.5T motor are slow top speed but accelerate QUICK. The overall gear reduction in the transmission, axles, and stock pinion/spur comes out to 30:1 so its not a speed demon but extremely torquey.

I decided to pick up a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500kv motor since I plan to stick with 3s in this truck. Should bring top speed up to 20mph with stock gear but have more torque, low speed control and run cooler. Should be installed shortly.

The stock Axial tire foams BLOW! At any speed, the foams just give way turning and basically let the wheel touch the ground. I ordered Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild foams to fix that. These are 1 piece closed cell foams so I should be good now and waterproof. These will be going in soon.

There are some biking trails not far from my house so I plan on making some trips out there shortly to give the girl a whirl. I'll be sure to take video and post pics.

N. Rustler conversion

Last edited by nitrostarter; 09.22.2016 at 01:11 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#2)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.22.2016, 03:47 PM

Installed the HH PP3500kv. The motor definitely has some strong magnets, the drag brake is much stronger than the Tekin 17.5T that I initially had in. Speed is prefect now, low speed is really good. It does like to roll over at any speed over crawling so I'm thinking it'll get lowered and add some .475 SLW hubs soon.

Quick videos from trying out the motor at lunch today.

https://youtu.be/Dndy-ThByKg

https://youtu.be/q8y2KorAHMA

N. Rustler conversion

Last edited by nitrostarter; 09.22.2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old
  (#3)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.23.2016, 03:29 AM

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#4)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.23.2016, 03:39 PM

Replaced the stock foams with Crawler Innovation Deuces Wild foams today. Much better as the tire doesn't fold anymore but still conforms. Quick little video to compare the 2 foams.

https://youtu.be/b0YSWUlTD4I

N. Rustler conversion

Last edited by nitrostarter; 09.23.2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old
  (#5)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

09.25.2016, 10:57 PM

I've been looking at getting something with a solid rear axle. I sure had funny breaking and rebuilding r/c's, but slowing down and driving more is very appealing.

Nice build for sure, I never had the patience to paint the letters on tires.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 09.25.2016 at 11:01 PM.

Old
  (#6)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.26.2016, 09:42 AM

It's definitely not a 40+ mph monster by any means but the 3s and 3500kv does get her moving around the 20mph which is plenty fast and torquey as hell. It is a little top heavy with a narrow track width so it will flip.

Differential Ratio: 2.92
Transmission Ratio: 1.94
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 64
Pinion Tooth Count: 12
Total Voltage: 11.1
Motor KV: 3500
Tire Diameter (inches): 5.43
Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
Motor Current Draw: 0
Motor Coil Resistance: 0
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 5.33 : 1
Total Ratio: 30.21227 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 17.06 inches (433.29 mm)
Rollout: 0.56:1
Total Motor Speed: 38850 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 20.77 mph (33.37 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 3500
KT constant: 0.39 oz-in/A
Motor Torque: Amperage not specified...
Final Torque: Amperage not specified...
Final Power: Amperage not specified...

The white letter looked awesome, until the first run... Now not so much, except on the spare.

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#7)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.29.2016, 04:16 PM

Not much crawling experience here.. yet. Always been more of a basher in the past but looking to getting my feet wet trailing/crawling with my Bomber. I want to start hitting some local trails to start exploring what's out there in ever so rocky South Louisiana. :lmao: So I found the biggest rocks I could find to start testing on and gave it a shot at lunch. Yes, landscaping boulders at a local gas station...

My question here is, should a stock kit Bomber be able to climb up the face of this rock? I spent a good half hour trying to get her up the rock with different angles and speeds but the rear tires end up digging under the lower ledge of the rock causing the front end to get light, teeter up and end up flipping over.

What should I look to change to get up on this rock or is this just a limitation of the truck and a challenging rock? If I can keep weight on the front tires, it should be able to pull the back up. I got close a couple times with some speed and bouncing it up.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/snS949Qt-xA

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MaozfsZnBt8

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#8)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

09.29.2016, 05:15 PM

Pretty sure the truck could get up that rock with minor changes. Weighted front tires helps for sure. Approaching the rock from an angle to allow one of the back tires to get up on it will help prevent them from digging under the ledge, too. Its been a while since I've done any crawling, but dig is extremely helpful if its available(allows front power without powering the rear, so it can pull itself up without pushing itself over).

Old
  (#9)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.29.2016, 05:37 PM

Thanks Mike, I agree dig would help but not available on this truck.

I'm thinking some spring and shock oil changes may help get the weight down but not sure.

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#10)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

09.30.2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrostarter View Post
Thanks Mike, I agree dig would help but not available on this truck.
Not with that attitude.

All you need is a servo or two and a couple whatchamacallits.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by _paralyzed_; 09.30.2016 at 03:16 AM.

Old
  (#11)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.30.2016, 09:16 AM

I googled whatchamacallits and didn't come back with dig units...

I'm considering under driving the rear end so the front is spinning fast than the rear and get some additional pull up onto the rock.

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#12)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

09.30.2016, 02:51 PM

Tried multiple approach angles and I'm thinking the rear sway bar isn't allowing the rear to flex completely as needed to keep the wheels in contact. However, I was able to power through and bounce it up a couple times. Not as fluid as I was expecting but better than not making it. I plan on taking the swaybar off and giving it another go to see if it helps.

https://youtu.be/wxBiZokk5g8

After making it a few times, decided to bounce on some rocks and ended up taking a quick swim.

https://youtu.be/DWvd5vxUDxc

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#13)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.11.2016, 02:58 PM

Busted some stock Axial rod ends in the front so replaced the ends on the front 4 links with TRX Revo rod ends.

I picked up a Team AE 120mm light bar along with the Gear Head RC roof rack.

Finally got around to trying the Associated light bar. I grabbed a servo extension to plug into the receiver and left the female end hanging out the receiver box, so I can quick disconnect if I take the cage off the skid and not have to open the receiver box again. I plugged up the light bar just to try out before mounting and plugged in a 3s lipo. The light bar has a push button on/off switch, so I clicked it on and let there be light. The light bar looks pretty well made. Aluminum housing and brackets. However after a few seconds I smelled something electrical burning. I realized the connection where they splice in the on/off switch was smoking. So I unplugged everything and cut away at the melted heatshrink. The resistor(I'm guessing it is) is toasted. BEC is set at 7.4V so more than a typical receiver.

So, I guess I'll cut off the burnt part and just plug the lights in directly to see how it goes. Or should I return it to Amazon and get a better light bar? Or is there a better way to fix it?

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#14)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.11.2016, 02:58 PM

Found a sweet little spot in the woods 2 minutes from work for a great lunchtime run. Lots of broken concrete slab piles along with bricks, all fairly shaded. I'll be going back for sure.

N. Rustler conversion
Old
  (#15)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

11.11.2016, 02:59 PM

Busted more stock rod ends. Guess I need to change them all out now.

Finally mounted up my radiator. Not happy with the mount but will due for now. Will likely take it down and paint it all up too.

N. Rustler conversion

Last edited by nitrostarter; 11.11.2016 at 03:02 PM.