RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Castle Creations

Another MMX ESC with restricted power
Old
  (#1)
0verkill
RC-Monster Stock

Another MMX ESC with restricted power - 04.29.2016, 01:50 PM

My MMX ESC handled the C1515 (40x75, 150A) just fine for speed runs and I hit 94 mph with it in my 1/8 truggy, but it did have some weird "motor start failure" errors. However, it did NOT like the TP4070 (40x102, 200-350A) which is a lot bigger motor and pulls a lot more current. It was pathetically slow and worthless. It felt like a brushed Summit. This is dissapointing and it seems Castle has put a very strong current limiter or something on their new ESC's and it just kills ALL of the power. I just put in the XL2 and it is an absolute beast.

Old
  (#2)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.29.2016, 06:19 PM

You will love the xl2! yep the mmx and xlx sucks. get the word out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g...MR6SqQkehkevwA
my youtube channel
  Send a message via Yahoo to phildogg Send a message via AIM to phildogg  
Old
  (#3)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

04.29.2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
You will love the xl2! yep the mmx and xlx sucks. get the word out.
They don't suck. They are state of the art. Features abound. I have the MMX it makes my heavy truggy do rolling wheelies with a center diff. The calculator says that it goes 55ish. I believe it. Do you remember the HV-Maxx days? What about the smoking MMMv1 days. Go away. Lol. Let Patrick address the current limitation that does admittedly suck for those that want to drag race or go 100. Who does that?

Old
  (#4)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.29.2016, 08:09 PM

Alot of people including myself. Its just you buy a product and expect one thing and get another no warning.. Not good business.. Also the president cant answer any questions about it? defend his blatant silence

my youtube channel
Old
  (#5)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

04.29.2016, 09:47 PM

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the president of a company such as Castle to come engage in "your product sucks" conversation on a forum or any social media - safe to assume he is busy running the company, and any visit by such an individual should be encouraged and considered above and beyond IMO. When the initial post mentions "pathetic and worthless", followed by the product sucks a couple posts down, I would steer clear of the thread myself, as it quickly becomes a no-win situation. Constructive comments that are more inquisitive than insulting may get better results. Trying to guilt someone into a conversation with venom spewing is sure to fail IMO. Patrick commented on the initial post regarding this subject - maybe we should assume he is working with his engineering team to sort out a workable solution, rather than assuming his "blatent silence" here is anything more than being a busy man with a multitude of problems, as any CEO of a similar sized company would be. I'm certain engaging in a thread with insults being hurled around and considerably "less than constructive" feedback(if you want to call it feedback - I consider "pathetic and worthless" as an attack) would rank pretty low on the priority list.

Old
  (#6)
0verkill
RC-Monster Stock

04.30.2016, 08:01 AM

I'm a big Castle fan and I love their ESC's. I didn't attack Castle anywhere in my post. I actually went out and bought another Castle product LOL! I described how it drove which is the truth. It drove with what felt like 10% power output. Which means it might as well be a paper weight to me. The only way someone else wouldn't be concerned about this is if it hasn't happened to them, well it's happening to a lot of people. The problem is that my older MME ESC could handle this power easily and never overheat and never have problems. The MMX is advertised as being even more powerful, which simply isn't true at least as of right now, I hope that changes. I know everyone would like an official response from Castle as to what's happening and that would help out a lot from all of the negative feedback.

Old
  (#7)
0verkill
RC-Monster Stock

05.18.2016, 03:34 PM

Castle writes on Facebook, "We are actively working on a fix. And very sorry for the delay. Hang tight, we'll make it right!"

That's really great to hear.

Old
  (#8)
Mr E-Maxx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.20.2016, 11:10 AM

Hello,

I know your Set-Ups are very fast but I made my own test and they show some different results.
I tested 4 different ESC with 2 different Motors.
First test was in my HB Truggy on 4s with a Tekin 4038 2000kv and 18/50 at ~70km/h
My old Xerun 150A ESC got 68 km/h with a 4s SLS Lipos.
The New HW XR8plus got a topspeed from 68km/h too. But it was much better controlled.
The Castle MMX was more powerful, still with same battery, motor and gearing. I got 75 km/h with my MMX. All ESCs without any Punch Control etc. Max power and 10 timing. I tested them sensor and sensorless. (excepts the MMX)

I made a new test with a Vorza Buggy, a Reedy 2100kv motor and gearing at 16/48. Battery are Gens Ace 4s.
This time I use a MM2, a XR8plus and a MMX. Battery was charged every run. I made a few runs to get some good results:
MM2 with 10 Timing: 69km/h
XR8plus with 10 Timing: 66km/h
MMX with 10 Timing: 75km/h
I think the MM2 can handle 6s better than a MMX but on 4s in this cars with a Tekin or Reedy Motor the MMX is faster. You can see it, hear it and the logger show it too.

I'm very happy with my MMX. I can't wait to try it with a Sensorewire. I hope it will work well. My new GM Genius Ultra is a very hard challenge because this ESC is ultra smooth.

Old
  (#9)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

06.13.2016, 03:40 PM

Just a heads-up for you guys.

We did find an issue with current limiting on both the MMX and XLX.

It has been fixed, and is currently in internal testing. Should be in Beta by the end of the week.

This software update should solve the power restriction issue you are seeing.

Thanks!

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

Old
  (#10)
0verkill
RC-Monster Stock

06.13.2016, 04:32 PM

Thanks Patrick! You guys make the best ESC's.

Old
  (#11)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

06.13.2016, 05:22 PM

Thanks. Great news to hear!

my youtube channel
Old
  (#12)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

06.13.2016, 09:54 PM

Good to hear!

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#13)
Dr_T
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.14.2016, 05:41 PM

Awesome Patrick! I was kinda getting bored with the mere 9.5 HP my XLX is handling, so good to know it can be pushed some more :). Keep up the good work!

Old
  (#14)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

06.14.2016, 10:59 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

Please give us back the power in the XLX
Old
  (#15)
Big House
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Please give us back the power in the XLX - 07.01.2016, 02:58 PM

For the Love of All that is fast and good when oh when is the new firmware coming out for the XLX. I hate being in the middle of a run and hear the power cut. Please give us back the power.

CF Ofna GTP II Extended Chassis Castle/Flux 2200kv 6s
CF Ofna DM-1 Pro CC1717
CF Sportswerks Mayhem ST
CF Losi LST2

Tags
castle mmx, no power