RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Soldering Help Q & A's
Old
  (#1)
macfjej
RC-Monster Stock

Question Soldering Help Q & A's - 03.12.2006, 02:51 PM

hooking up my brushless esc to my motor keeps getting pushed back, i never seem to have the time, and now that i do have the time, well i sort of chickened out. my knowledge and skills for soddering are pretty basic and i've never had a few hundred dollars riding on my work, heck i never had a few bucks riding on my work. i looked online but that didn't totally help. if anyone has links specificly for soddering large wires togeather, i'm all ears. if anyone has tips for the follow questions, that'd be helpful also.

are those feigao wires alumium? i heard alminum makes for a bad connection.

how much wire am i sopost to expose for the joint anyways?

mike says to twist the leads together but how am i going to do that if they're tinned?

those are my three main problems,, that and finding a new tip for my iron but i'm looking right now. thanks for the help,,,, and sorry for the seemingly endless questions

Last edited by macfjej; 03.12.2006 at 02:53 PM.

Old
  (#2)
makana59
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.12.2006, 03:17 PM

i dont know what the other guys opinions are but I used connector for the feigo.. made it a little easier to soldier. I think it was like the 3.5 mm connectors. I think mike has them. way easier. Laters man.

Old
  (#3)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

03.12.2006, 03:21 PM

it takes a good iron and some patients. Make sure you have some flux and decent solder. Practice is the key.

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

My pics and videos
  Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandcountry  
Old
  (#4)
macfjej
RC-Monster Stock

03.12.2006, 03:53 PM

what about the twisting thingy? am i sopost to twist them after i tin them? i had to use pliers to twist my stereo wire after i tinned them. so that can't be what he ment, can it?

Soldering is an art!
Old
  (#5)
GriffinRU
RC-Monster Aluminum

Soldering is an art! - 03.12.2006, 04:30 PM

Its like driving either you can or trying to learn :)

Heat the base - apply the solder, watch for magic, caught the magic pull the solder iron. Done! If you haven't seen the magic (true, clear water like droplet and solder sucking somewhere :)) then repeat until you get it.

Artur

Old
  (#6)
brijar
Knowing You're Hooked on RC: Priceless...

03.12.2006, 05:21 PM

Here is a good video on how to solder deans connectors. This is how I learned to solder, and now I solder everthing like this. I find it very helpful and sometimes I just watch it to refresh my memory.

Happy Brushless,
Brijar!!!

REVO 3.3 Conversion: 3906 trans, CC 1518, MMM, 6s Gens Ace 5k 40C, LST Diffs, Summit shafts
Slash 2x4 LCG
Two Slash 4x4s
Rustler

Old
  (#7)
JOHNNYMAXXIMA
RC-Monster Dual Brushless!

03.13.2006, 03:18 AM

Great video.

Old
  (#8)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

03.13.2006, 05:47 AM

Go to www.balakracing.com

The name is Alawi. You can call me Al.
Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#9)
macfjej
RC-Monster Stock

03.13.2006, 11:12 AM

thanks!

Old
  (#10)
macfjej
RC-Monster Stock

03.13.2006, 11:05 PM

i bought this iron, but it doesn't have a chisel tip, and i don't think you can get a chisel tip for it, is 40W too hot because i've read 30-40W is what you want and the hotter the better. so what do you guys think, is it what i want, or should i return it? i don't really do any soldering, i need this to solder my controller to my motor, and to redo a few wires on my battery packs, after that it'll probably be shelved until a meaningless task arises.

the iron

Last edited by macfjej; 03.13.2006 at 11:12 PM.

Old
  (#11)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.13.2006, 11:24 PM

That should be fine. The idea behind a chisel tip is so you can make more contact with the area to solder to enable a better transfer of heat, and a larger tip will hold more heat longer. When you solder, especially larger wires, the wire tends to act like a heatsink and pull the heat from the tip until it is too cool to solder. A larger tip will help prevent this.

A 40w iron is plenty. Just make sure you let it sit for about 10-15 minutes after turning it on to let it get as hot as it will get. After soldering something, let it sit again for another 5 minutes to let it build the heat back up. If it takes more than 10 seconds to solder your pieces together, or if the iron "sticks" to the item being soldered, then your iron isn't hot enough. Tin each piece you want to solder and they will bond faster, more thoroughly, and much easier.

Some people tend to heat the solder and drop it on the wires. This makes a very poor solder joint. The idea is to hold the solder to the joint, heat the items being soldered, and let the solder flow into the joint.

Also, it is important to perform the initial tinning of the tip on a new iron. You want to make sure there is a good initial coat of solder on the tip, otherwise the oxidation that will form will be a barrier to heat. Don't be afraid to use quite a bit of solder on this step. Don't forget to wet the sponge too - it will help clear off any impurities on the tip. Once you are done soldering, clean the tip on the sponge and try not to let it run for a long long time without use. That will just allow more oxidation to form on it.

I would recommend practicing on some spare wire and connectors to get the hang of it. I think you'd rather learn from mistakes on scraps then on your expensive equipment.

Sorry for being long-winded. :)
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#12)
macfjej
RC-Monster Stock

03.14.2006, 12:36 AM

heck, i thought i was being long winded, lol, no worries, i do know how to solder a bit, learned in school. but when i got home the methods didn't seem to work, it wasn't untill yesterday that i found out it was becuse the iron i was using was BLACK, the tip was nearly completly black and the heat shroud was blackened serveral inches from the tip to the handle, that's why i got this one. i couldn't find one with a chisel at "the Source" (radio shack equivelent) or canadian tire, so i figure this one would do. bah, i'm getting long winded again, if you guys think it's good i'll believe ya. thx!

Old
  (#13)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

03.14.2006, 06:59 AM

It will work for most things. I find I like the 60 watt better though. JMO

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

My pics and videos
  Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandcountry  
Old
  (#14)
damon

03.14.2006, 03:28 PM

Brijar, thanks for the video, that is a HUGE help!

Old
  (#15)
brijar
Knowing You're Hooked on RC: Priceless...

03.14.2006, 04:43 PM

macfjej, I have that exact same iron too. I just recently got a chisel tip at Radio Shack and it seemed to be a night and day difference. This is what I got for mine, only it came with 2 of the smaller chisel tips. There are light duty tips, but I'm not real sure about them because they are "iron clad". Just like Brian G said, don't drip the solder on the joint. I simply tin both surfaces, put the wire on top of the connector/other wire and push down on them with my soldering iron, melting the solder around the joint. Only one of my joints has failed so far and it was due to incorrect plugging. Be careful not to melt the connector. Just make sure you use good solder, good 12awg wire, good quality connectors, and/or battery bars and you should have no problem with that iron. Don't forget to be patient too:025:.

Damon and Johnny, thank you, I'm glad y'all like it:027:.

Brijar!!!

REVO 3.3 Conversion: 3906 trans, CC 1518, MMM, 6s Gens Ace 5k 40C, LST Diffs, Summit shafts
Slash 2x4 LCG
Two Slash 4x4s
Rustler