RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

Make your fans bullet proof.
Old
  (#1)
Cartwheels

Make your fans bullet proof. - 05.22.2007, 08:57 PM

Well maybe not bullet proof, but at least R/C tough. I got tired of putting new fans in my conversions only to have them only last 20 minutes before they puke up their internals components. The smaller fans weren't so much of a problem, for me at least, it was the larger size like the 40mm fans were the problem. So I decided to do something about it. Here a couple of things you can do to make your fans tougher.

Here is the most of the stuff your going to need:
Soldering Iron
Small gauge multi strand wire
Electrical grade epoxy or substitute (I used a 3M's part # DP 270) I got this at Mc Master Carr $11.13 http://www.mcmaster.com/
Hand plunger for the epoxy, as it doesn't come with one. I got this at Mc Master Carr also Part # 74695A27 $1.15each
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.5.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	2950   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2951  

Last edited by Cartwheels; 05.22.2007 at 08:58 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Cartwheels

05.22.2007, 08:59 PM

First pop the internal part of the fan out of the case (pix). Be careful not to break the thin plastic supports on the case backing. What I do is support the case backing with one screwdriver and with another screwdriver push on the bearing ring area shown with the smaller screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2952  

Old
  (#3)
Cartwheels

05.22.2007, 09:00 PM

I replace the wire. The original wire is a single strand wire and breaks very, very easily. So, once I have the internal part of the fan out I replace it with a small gauge multi strand wire. I would recommend doing this one wire at a time otherwise it is easy to forget which color goes were. So just desolder the old wire and solder in the new wire. I have skipped this step only to have to go back and fix it later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	2953  

Old
  (#4)
Cartwheels

05.22.2007, 09:01 PM

Then to permanently keep the fan internals in there place use electrical grade epoxy. I yellowed the area in the pic to apply the epoxy. Then also put a little epoxy on the electrical components that stick up on the green PCB board. keep in mind you don't want epoxy oozing out everywhere because it will lock up the fan. Route the wires back were they go. Then press the fan back together. Set it to dry so that if any epoxy oozes out it doesn't drip on the fan blades (in other words, fan blades up, glue side down).

I have had really good results with doing this and I'm sure you will too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9 glue area.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2954   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2955  

Last edited by Cartwheels; 05.22.2007 at 09:02 PM.

Old
  (#5)
joeling
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.22.2007, 11:01 PM

Hi Cartwheels,

This is a good mod. 1 vote for this to be in sticky.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : Noticed the caps. Sell those to the DIY audio crowd

Hyper 9e Medusa 4S, Savage 5S MMM 8XL, Jammin' 4S Neu MMM, X2 Ninja JX, X2 MMM 5S Neu, E REVO Medusa 6S

Old
  (#6)
Cartwheels

05.23.2007, 03:23 AM

Glad you like it. I'm running about 5 fans all together in different conversions and not one has given me any problems so far. First one I did was about a month ago.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I'm done I usually cover the back with a piece of electrical tape to keep dirt out of the bearing.

Old
  (#7)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

05.23.2007, 10:36 AM

Nice details Cart!

I have never run fans in any R/C before. What fails on them? From the posts above, I assume the hub sperates from the frame? Also, how long do the bearings last in the dusty and harsh offroad environment?
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#8)
Cartwheels

05.23.2007, 12:27 PM

Yes the hub seperates from the fan then sometimes just hangs there or it can also get completely ripped off.

I have never had a fan stop from dust, but I never had them live this long either. I run in some hot weather so I have the front windshield cut out and sometimes the dust and dirt just pour in. So if they do stop from dust I'll end up finding out! Lol

Old
  (#9)
Procharged5.0
RC-Monster Titanium

05.23.2007, 03:03 PM

+1 Vote for it to be a sticky! Nice post!

Supermaxx-Racer-X, VBS, FLM chassis & Transcase, HSR Motorsports Slipper, Cage, MMM ESC, NEU1515. REVO 3.3, BL X1-CRT, CRT, BL-CRT.5, Procharged '92 Mustang visit www.chitownrc.com and www.rcbros.com

Old
  (#10)
aqwut
Brushless Heavy Weight....

06.20.2007, 12:52 AM

very nice.. I did the same to all my 40mm fans.. those fans aren't that cheap either.. :)

The Power of BRUSHLESS!!!!!
http://www.geocities.com/aqwut
1HP (electric) = 746 Watts.
Everything is brushless!!

Old
  (#11)
Cartwheels

06.22.2007, 03:46 AM

Here is an update: The glue has been holding very well, but I did have one of my fans break the metal shaft the fan blades spin on. Had to throw it away, no way to fix that! Just goes to show what forces are at work.

One other thing I found out was that when you replace the wire. You want to use really thin gauge wire to solder onto the fan with. Thicker wire can break off the little tab that you solder onto rendering the fan useless.

Last edited by Cartwheels; 06.22.2007 at 03:48 AM.

Old
  (#12)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

06.23.2007, 01:14 AM

Funny thing is, I haven't had a problem with any fan parts that you modded above. The only thing that breaks/gets damaged on my fans are the blades, where they break off.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#13)
Cartwheels

06.23.2007, 10:07 PM

I wish I didn't have problems with mine! Might be the position they are mounted. I have not had problems with smaller fans just the larger ones.

Old
  (#14)
marc993turbo
RC-Monster Stock

08.25.2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartwheels View Post
Well maybe not bullet proof, but at least R/C tough. I got tired of putting new fans in my conversions only to have them only last 20 minutes before they puke up their internals components.
Hi there from Germany!

I just installed three fans in my savage today to keep controller and engine cool.

I would like to see some pictures of your fan modifications but cannot see them because they don´t appear when i display the thread.

Is this a problem with my account?

Thanks for help.

Marc.

Last edited by marc993turbo; 08.25.2007 at 04:24 PM.

Old
  (#15)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

08.25.2007, 04:59 PM

No, your account if fine. The forum was recently restored (was a crash about a month ago) and some things aren't quite working 100% yet.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG