RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Slipperential discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
brushlessboy16
Im not dark, Im over ripened! xD

05.27.2010, 08:54 AM

There is nothing above the motor mount to block your access...

And Im going to talk to mike to see if he can run a few of them

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Jq the car, LST, Sportweks turmoil pro
Unconventional Techniques, Superior Results
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16 
Old
  (#17)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 08:55 AM

when you say run? do you mean test? or machine?
I would be happy to test it with a larger motor and as a brushless forward facing mount idea...

Old
  (#18)
brushlessboy16

05.27.2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahay View Post
when you say run? do you mean test? or machine?
I would be happy to test it with a larger motor and as a brushless forward facing mount idea...
machine them

Mothman Here has first dibs, your second

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
  Send a message via Yahoo to brushlessboy16 Send a message via AIM to brushlessboy16 Send a message via MSN to brushlessboy16 Send a message via Skype™ to brushlessboy16 
Old
  (#19)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 09:05 AM

lol ok... second is fine :) how long do you think the whole process will take. Im not rushing its just i need to know whether its worth me temporarily rebuilding my tranny and hoping it lasts more than 10 runs :)

Old
  (#20)
brushlessboy16

05.27.2010, 09:40 AM

rebuild your trans...

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Old
  (#21)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

05.27.2010, 11:06 AM

I call third dibs, very nice design.

Old
  (#22)
brushlessboy16

05.27.2010, 11:30 AM

Why thank you kind sir

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Old
  (#23)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

05.27.2010, 11:48 AM

Looks pretty good Ben. I was working on a mount for a Sav for a while, but gave up when Mike was coming out w/ the universal mount, and finding that designing in CAD is a pita. Mike makes it look a lot easier than it is.

Unfortunately the universal mount has been OOS for a couple months and no updates on an ETA.

The only issue putting in a CD in a sav the the limitations onf gear ratio, especially if you want to use the bulletproof diffs. They are a low gear ratio (3.22 iirc) so if you want to go a CD and run big tires etc, you need to come up with quite a reduction in the CD/pinion. Even an extreme 10/50 ratio only gets 16.1:1. I wouldn't bother running 0.8mod gears either.

Perhaps Mike is working on something to go with the Savage 5B kit he's developing. Ditching the tranny would be nice. Mech brakes are easy to do as well, but honestly I'd stick w/ motor brakes for simplicity and lack of brake fade.

Old
  (#24)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.27.2010, 03:39 PM

ok finsster how would i maintain mech brakes if i wanted to keep them?

You are also talking abuot gearing which is important regarding space between the tvps etc...
Do you think a 58/14 gear combo work/fit? (that would bring me to around 53mph, i think)
What gearing do people usually use when gearing for 50 using a cd?

Old
  (#25)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

05.27.2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahay View Post
ok finsster how would i maintain mech brakes if i wanted to keep them?

You are also talking abuot gearing which is important regarding space between the tvps etc...
Do you think a 58/14 gear combo work/fit? (that would bring me to around 53mph, i think)
What gearing do people usually use when gearing for 50 using a cd?
The mount you choose needs to have the 3mm tapped holes to mount the brake pads. The brake disks just slide over the diff output shaft. Lastly you need to have some sort of brake cam. Usually this is in the CD top plate. Kinda tricky with the motor mount there. The mount I was trying to design would have this on the side.
Lastly you have to figure out where to mount the brake servo, and tie that to the thr via a y-cable or a 3 chan radio.

=> Major pita to run mech brakes with a motor over diff type mount. Motor brakes is far simpler and prolly more effective.

As far as gearing goes, just figure out what final drive ratio you have now or what others are using in your app, and work the math back from there. If the diffs are 3.22, and you want a FDR of 14:1, divide 14/3.22. (4.35) That's your spur to pinion ratio. Then pick out a set of gears that is close and is reasonable for your app. In that ex, a 46/11 gearing would be close and a 46 spur is widely available. For a slipperential, the 50T spur is your best bet imo.

Note that the larger the spur, the farther below the TVPs the spur will hang, or you will have to raise the mount and run sharper angles on the driveshafts. Conversely, a v. small pinion will wear more quickly. Have to find a balance

Last edited by Finnster; 05.27.2010 at 04:00 PM.

Old
  (#26)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.31.2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the help finnster, i hope i can run mech brakes, if and when i find an appropriate mount, i will look into the brakes. I just want a decent motor and diff mount.

I am a little worried about choosing the wrong spur gear which will have difficulties fitting. I may need some pics of the slipperential with the 58t spur on and see if it will work in a savage and has enough clearance.

Plus i am hoping it is quick and easy to change the spur on the slipperential as i will want to run a plastic spur vs a metal one so my pinion doesnt experience wear....

Old
  (#27)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

06.02.2010, 11:48 AM

So just to go back to the original topic... does the product in the rc monster store come with the base plate shown in this picture?

Im hoping to do this mod within the next month or so... unless BB16 has his in production by then i most likely will have to go with this universal mount, and it would help if the plate was included...

Old
  (#28)
brushlessboy16

06.02.2010, 12:23 PM

MIke is reviewing the design for my slipperential mount

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver
Old
  (#29)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

06.02.2010, 12:37 PM

BB16 thanks for the update... please keep me updated. Way to keen on getting this going.

Old
  (#30)
brushlessboy16

06.02.2010, 12:43 PM

Rodger dodger... I got bored during english class today... started making random things...

Benjamin White
R/c Monster Team Driver