Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Quake
Old
  (#1)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

Quake - 08.23.2011, 02:07 PM

Anyone shook up?

Magnitude 5.8 (Preliminary magnitude update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:03 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:03 PM at epicenter

Location 37.875N, 77.908W
Depth 6 km (3.7 miles) set by location program
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 15 km (9 miles) S (179) from Mineral, VA
18 km (12 miles) SSE (154) from Louisa, VA
26 km (16 miles) ENE (58) from Columbia, VA
37 km (23 miles) E (97) from Lake Monticello, VA
54 km (34 miles) NW (314) from Richmond, VA
139 km (87 miles) SW (214) from Washington, DC

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 17, Nph= 17, Dmin=59.5 km, Rmss=0.33 sec, Gp=173,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=1
Source West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS

Event ID at00lqe6x3

Manybe there is something to this mayan calendar!!

Watching the news
Old
  (#2)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Watching the news - 08.23.2011, 02:47 PM

Yea we are watching MSNBC live here in Prague and I am amazed at how much ground this thing covered. The overall square milage is tremendous. It looks like no real major damage was done, but it sure turned the East Coast transportation hub into a chaotic scene. The delays in train and airline travel are going to be felt for 12 to 24 hours according to the AP. All of this going while Huricane Irene is bearing in that direction.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#3)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

08.23.2011, 03:16 PM

That's a very shallow quake - hence the large area (although that is a huge area - Manhatten, Ohio, etc). Shallow quakes can tend to do a little more damage than a deeper one of the same magnitude - although they usually aren't of as great a magnitude. Californians will take 5.8's all day long and not give them a second thought.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#4)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

08.23.2011, 03:40 PM

I felt it up here in MA... It was very weak (of course) but went on for ~20 seconds at ~2Hz. At first I thought I was dizzy, then I noticed my monitor and CD rack were swaying relative to the walls.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Last edited by What's_nitro?; 08.23.2011 at 03:45 PM.

Naaahh
Old
  (#5)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Naaahh - 08.23.2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
I felt it up here in MA... It was very weak (of course) but went on for ~20 seconds at ~2Hz. At first I thought I was dizzy, then I noticed my monitor and CD rack were swaying relative to the walls.

NAAHH your just drunk, go back to bed and sleep it off.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#6)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

08.23.2011, 04:03 PM

I didn't feel anything in central NJ (on ground floor at time) but coworkers on upper floors felt some swaying.

Kinda disappointed, never been in an earthquake and wanted to feel it.

I wonder if its just a reverb from some of the large quakes this year. Several in NZ and the huge one in Japan (all on the same rift.) There was one in CO yesterday too, largest since '67, in a area that never gets quakes. The Japan quake was so large the rest of surrounding plates may just be adjusting maybe.

Last edited by Finnster; 08.23.2011 at 04:06 PM.

Old
  (#7)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

08.23.2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRY2KONE View Post
NAAHH your just drunk, go back to bed and sleep it off.
Hahaha... Except my sister was downstairs and she felt it, too. Her meds don't allow her to drink. Her experience can be trusted.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#8)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

08.23.2011, 04:24 PM

Felt the quake and the aftershock (2.8). Been sick since last night with a crazy headache, threw up early today at around 9:30a.m. and a friend of mine said that could've been a symptom before the quake happened. Before the aftershock my headache was almost as strong as the one from earlier today. My head still aches a bit and I'm still feeling a bit strange. This is some odd crap and I hope I don't feel this way again.
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Ok ok
Old
  (#9)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Ok ok - 08.23.2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
Hahaha... Except my sister was downstairs and she felt it, too. Her meds don't allow her to drink. Her experience can be trusted.
OK we believe you. We just heard from friends around the world and from those reports this quake was felt in Canada, and even in South America (Costa Rica). This was surely no normal quake and probably only felt once every century or so. I mean when you think about it every inch of Earth crust moves. Some are simply felt more than others because of where that location rests on the techtonic plates. California for instance sits on the very edge of that plate so every movement no matter how small is felt with more intensity. The quake in Japan was so devistating is because Japan sits on a plate that is moving downward as it is being covered by the plate next to it. Sientists are saying that Japan will eventually be pushed right into the Pacific Ocean as that plate shifts upwards and over the island of Japan. Thankfully these movements do not really amount to much of anything in a single lifetime, but more so over centuries. Our generations have been pretty lucky seeing only minor movements, but generations being born now and in the next couple hundred years may see some biblical size quakes that will kill millions through moving/colapsing earth and tital waves or tsunamis.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Sounds like
Old
  (#10)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Sounds like - 08.23.2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutach View Post
Felt the quake and the aftershock (2.8). Been sick since last night with a crazy headache, threw up early today at around 9:30a.m. and a friend of mine said that could've been a symptom before the quake happened. Before the aftershock my headache was almost as strong as the one from earlier today. My head still aches a bit and I'm still feeling a bit strange. This is some odd crap and I hope I don't feel this way again.
Dude, your symptoms sound like you are pregnant. Yea all shook up, and probably more to come. At least you were not swollowed up by a tsunami.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#11)
lutach
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

08.23.2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRY2KONE View Post
Dude, your symptoms sound like you are pregnant. Yea all shook up, and probably more to come. At least you were not swollowed up by a tsunami.
I hope this doesn't happen every time a quake hits the East Coast. Can't imagine being through a Tsunami, water is a powerful force. I've been through a few Hurricanes in Florida and those are fun as the waves are good for surfing and body boarding . All I can say is that nature needs to be fully respected.
  Send a message via MSN to lutach  
Old
  (#12)
2genewb
Go Phils!

08.25.2011, 04:06 AM

now i'm no anything-tologist, but i've read and seen on television specials that quakes on the U.S. east coast will undoubtedly be felt through much further distances due to the makeup of the ground and the amount of rock under us. namely something to do with the pocono mountains and how they reverberate and transfer that movement from one end to the next. that could explain why people are reporting that such a minor quake in virginia was reported to have been felt by some people in ontario, i guess.

either way, i was in my SUV when it happened and didn't feel a thing. moments later my (completely shocked, but unscathed) neighbors were rushing out their doors to share their stories and ask "did you feel it too?". then the fedex guy stopped me on the street to discuss the new phenomena and about an hour later when the phone lines were cleared up a bit calls started pouring in from family members.

now it's time to sit back and await the big storm that's supposed to take the house away.

Old
  (#13)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

08.25.2011, 04:21 PM

^^^

Yeah, I'm more worried about the storm and possible basement flooding...

Old
  (#14)
2genewb
Go Phils!

08.25.2011, 04:56 PM

^^^yup... especially beings the tides are supposed to be at their highest with the new moon when it hits.

Disasters
Old
  (#15)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Disasters - 08.26.2011, 10:53 AM

Yea the hits just keep coming, don't they? All you heard on the news was about the little shakey shakey, but now the AP reported that the Washington Monument has a huge crack in it from the quake.

The storm looks like a real beast, but it also looks as if it may just graise the coastline with minimal damages seen. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Here in Europe we have been experiencing exeptionally high temps over the last week, and things are about to turn cool, but nothing biblical to talk about. Kind of loving the heat wave. Good luck with the storm fellas.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.