RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Truggy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
need a diff gear alternative (CRT X2)
Old
  (#1)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
scarletboa's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 929
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
need a diff gear alternative (CRT X2) - 03.05.2012, 05:50 PM

i was hearing clicking coming from the rear diff on hard acceleration, so i opened up the diff case and after seeing no damage to the pinion or ring gear, i reshimmed and went to go run it again. the clicking was still there, so i decided to just run it until the diff is fried.

when the clicking became constant on any throttle, i picked up the truck and noticed the rear wheels were very rough when turning 1 at a time, so now i know that it is the diff internal gears that are shot. the problem is that they are aluminum gears (to save weight i guess) and if i get a new set, those gears will just wear out as well.

does anyone know a good, cheap steel internal diff gear set that will fit in the stock diff cup? i know diff case sizes vary, but aren't the internal gears pretty much the same size in all 1/8th scale diffs?

thanks in advance for any help/advice


They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house
 
Thirdgen89GTA's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 311
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
03.07.2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletboa View Post
i was hearing clicking coming from the rear diff on hard acceleration, so i opened up the diff case and after seeing no damage to the pinion or ring gear, i reshimmed and went to go run it again. the clicking was still there, so i decided to just run it until the diff is fried.

when the clicking became constant on any throttle, i picked up the truck and noticed the rear wheels were very rough when turning 1 at a time, so now i know that it is the diff internal gears that are shot. the problem is that they are aluminum gears (to save weight i guess) and if i get a new set, those gears will just wear out as well.

does anyone know a good, cheap steel internal diff gear set that will fit in the stock diff cup? i know diff case sizes vary, but aren't the internal gears pretty much the same size in all 1/8th scale diffs?

thanks in advance for any help/advice
I would just switch back to the steel internals. You won't really notice it as much as you'd think with BL power. I'm still using the original steel spider gears in my Jammin X1 CRT Pro. I've had some major modded engines in there for the last 5 years and they are still going strong.

The aluminium is great, but you have to pay to play with them. The alloy is just too soft for that kind of application. 1/8th scale's put a ton of stress on components. Its amazing that they are as durable as they are.


  • 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum
 
scarletboa's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 929
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
03.09.2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA View Post
I would just switch back to the steel internals. You won't really notice it as much as you'd think with BL power. I'm still using the original steel spider gears in my Jammin X1 CRT Pro. I've had some major modded engines in there for the last 5 years and they are still going strong.

The aluminium is great, but you have to pay to play with them. The alloy is just too soft for that kind of application. 1/8th scale's put a ton of stress on components. Its amazing that they are as durable as they are.
i never had steel diff internals. when i go to order the replacement gears, whether they are the x1 or x2 gears, they are still aluminum. the only ofna gears i could find for this truggy are aluminum. i went ahead and ordered some diff gears from a HotBodies Lightning. the gears have the same amount of teeth and look the same as the stock ones. hopefully they work.


They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house
 
Thirdgen89GTA's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 311
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
03.09.2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletboa View Post
i never had steel diff internals. when i go to order the replacement gears, whether they are the x1 or x2 gears, they are still aluminum. the only ofna gears i could find for this truggy are aluminum. i went ahead and ordered some diff gears from a HotBodies Lightning. the gears have the same amount of teeth and look the same as the stock ones. hopefully they work.
I thought the internal gears on the X1 were hardened steel. The aluminium CNC cross pins are the upgrade part. But I've never needed them.

Give www.nitrohouse.com a ring. They're great to talk to about upgrade parts for the Jammin's. Nexx8T parts should be similar. OFNA dropped the Jammin name, and the Nexx8T is essentially the Jammin X3 CRT.


  • 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



RC Monster




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com