RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Crawlers/Scale Vehicles

My first scale crawler build...
Old
  (#1)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

My first scale crawler build... - 12.26.2008, 11:33 PM

As the title says, this will be my first 1.9 wheel based scale-ish build. I have 2 more chassis and one of those is setup to run 3 axles... But you guys have to wait for that build...

Anyways, I have a reign k2-5 chassis for this build. Going to set it up with stock tlt axles, a modded pede tranny, and some jato links. My body is a new blackfoot hard plastic body. Wheelbase is around 10" so it is a short truck. I will run the mud slingers on hpi stock car wheels, just like the pics (those are my buddy's set).

Motor will be a stock mabuchi (sp?) 27t motor running off a tamiya esc. Most likely use a hitec 645 servo as it it metal geared and no servo saver will be used. This truck will be geared for about 10mph, no speed demon here!

Most likely going to run nitro 4-tec shocks, but I may try a semi-droop rear shock setup using short springs on rustler front shocks. That way I can get some more axle articulation and ground clearance in the rear. Not sure if that makes any sense, but I will try it out and post pics.

and the body will be painted blue to match my old f250...

Ok, picture time!!!

Old
  (#2)
maui454
RC-Monster Stock

12.27.2008, 12:22 AM

Cool I will be looking forward to updates

Old
  (#3)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.27.2008, 12:36 AM

Thanks, I hope to get it rolling by next weekend... Damn work is busy, only 5 days till the end of the year, and i will work all of them!

Old
  (#4)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

12.27.2008, 02:41 AM

Looks nice James. Looks like a lot of time goes into a build. I have a dumb question for you. I've read in your other post you refer to your "Scale crawler". What do you mean by scale crawler? Thanks.

Old
  (#5)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.27.2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Looks nice James. Looks like a lot of time goes into a build. I have a dumb question for you. I've read in your other post you refer to your "Scale crawler". What do you mean by scale crawler? Thanks.
Well, to me a scale crawler is more about looks than performance. So I want it to look as much like a lifted mud truck as possible, but still be capable on the rocks... So it is a bit dual purpose. And thus a compromise both ways too. I think you will see when i finish it up!

Old
  (#6)
Gee
A Horse's Ass

12.27.2008, 03:35 AM

Thanks. Next time I read a thread of yours about your scale crawler(s) I'll have a better picture of what you doing. Sound like a fun project. Are there a lot of parts for builds like your doing or does it take a lot of fabricating your own suspension, chassis, etc?

Old
  (#7)
saydee1800
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.27.2008, 09:11 AM

NIce truck very real looking. Hey to bad you can run that lipo you got in the picture. (that would be one fast truck!)

Nice truck

Maxamps Lipo's
FLM Savage 5s 5000
Mamba Monster V2
Feigao XL 10
E-Revo 4s 8000Novak HV 6.5
E-Maxx 4s 6000Novak HV 6.5
Speed-T 3s 5000
For Bashers, By Bashers - http://www.BigSquidRC.com

Old
  (#8)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

12.27.2008, 12:52 PM

Looking good linc! I like those reign chassis, they look nice and solid. Don't see room for any chassis flex there.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.27.2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Thanks. Next time I read a thread of yours about your scale crawler(s) I'll have a better picture of what you doing. Sound like a fun project. Are there a lot of parts for builds like your doing or does it take a lot of fabricating your own suspension, chassis, etc?
There are quite a few parts available. I have made 2.2 comp style chassis and links from scratch before, this time I got a good deal on the chassis and axles and he threw in some of the links (jato turnbuckles) and I happened to have a few spare jato turnbuckles laying around. I am going off of reign rc website that has a build using the same chassis and axles. The reign chassis are setup to use the same length upper and lower links, so it makes it real easy to get the geometry close. That is the worst part for me, making sure the suspension is smooth and the axles are controlled well during crawling. This 1.9 has a short wheelbase (less than 10") to match the blackfoot body, most aim for an 11" WB and the revo pushrods are the most popular links used, they are steel and have solid rod ends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
NIce truck very real looking. Hey to bad you can run that lipo you got in the picture. (that would be one fast truck!)

Nice truck
Thanks! Yeah, that lipo is out of the lst, it and my cell phone make the perfect height center stand. I had to do that to figure out the shock lengths. 6s lipo in a crawler would be fast, that is for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Looking good linc! I like those reign chassis, they look nice and solid. Don't see room for any chassis flex there.
Thanks buddy! They are super solid. I have this chassis and just got the k2-6 chassis for my 6x6 tlt axle truck that I will build next.

Progress!!!
Old
  (#10)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

Progress!!! - 12.28.2008, 02:42 PM

Ok, got it rolling. Using 4 tec shocks on the front, and rustler fronts on the rear. It is setup fully sprung in the front, and about 3/4 sprung in the rear. So the rear axle can drop out a bit, and the springs keep the tires off the body on the rear when the truck is fully articulated. Still need to trim the front of the chassis down. I will wait to do that untill I have all of my axle parts in. Also need to mount the pede tranny, but I want to set te axles up finally before I do that.

Old
  (#11)
TDC57
"If you can't beat em'....shoot em'

12.30.2008, 04:55 AM

WOW.. looks GREAT James.. I cant wait to crawl against it!.. Iím back your way a few weeks.

I also need to deeply apologizes for not sending you out those parts you looking for.. I've been slammed and pre-occupied with other pressing things (Sorry).. I'm sorry Sir.. Iíll pull my head out of my assÖ

Have a great one and WOW another great build for the PIMP!. I'm never going to catch up

Nothing!.. Hahahahaaa..

Old
  (#12)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

12.30.2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC57 View Post
WOW.. looks GREAT James.. I cant wait to crawl against it!.. Iím back your way a few weeks.

I also need to deeply apologizes for not sending you out those parts you looking for.. I've been slammed and pre-occupied with other pressing things (Sorry).. I'm sorry Sir.. Iíll pull my head out of my assÖ

Have a great one and WOW another great build for the PIMP!. I'm never going to catch up
Whats up Shaun!!! Glad to here you will be out here soon. No worries about the parts. I have quite a few builds going at once (as always) and am wating on parts for all of them! I would have called you but work is kicking my ass, only 2 days to get alot done...end o' da year, good ridance!

Old
  (#13)
chip cross

01.04.2009, 09:54 PM

We need to go run some scalers Pimp.

Old
  (#14)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.05.2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip cross View Post
We need to go run some scalers Pimp.
Yep, I should have this truck finished this week, as long as my parts show up...

I also have a reign 6x6 chassis... And the waterproof high lift! Check out my camo PJ...

Old
  (#15)
chip cross

01.05.2009, 11:33 PM

Looks like bung hole, can I drive it ?

Just joking James, looks cool.