Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
So I Have a Muggy Now!
Old
  (#1)
riverat1540
RC-Monster Aluminum

So I Have a Muggy Now! - 04.14.2009, 09:09 PM

I took on a muggy roller on trade for some paintball stuff and think it would be a great candidate for my next brushless creation. cant help but look at the mamba monster 2200 system for this setup on 5-6s but gearing options have me wondering how low i will be able to gear on the pinion with a stock spur due to space issues with the motor and center brace. id like to gear for around 45-50 on this truck. also wondering if it is best to run mechanical brakes on a truck this size or just use the electric brakes get the slipperential, im leaning towards the slipperential if it will fit but could use some input. and any tips from previous build would really be appreciated
Thanks

Send a message via Yahoo to riverat1540 Send a message via AIM to riverat1540  
Another Muggy
Old
  (#2)
ilpufxit
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Another Muggy - 04.14.2009, 10:17 PM

The Muggy is a great basher. Mine's on 5s with a 1515 2.5d/MMM. It's too heavy to be a serious racer but it rips in a park or constuction site type of environment. The slipperential is probably a good way to go. Lose the mechanical brakes, the MMM has awesome brakes. You'll either need a hardened chassis or make a brace like mine, otherwise you'll bend the chassis on a hard landing.

Old
  (#3)
riverat1540
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.14.2009, 10:21 PM

yea it definatly has the power to stop it as well as it was strong enough to snap its own shaft on my crt, that is why i suggested the slipperential
Old
  (#4)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

04.15.2009, 12:38 AM

The 2200 system would be great in there, perhaps a bit too crazy on 6s. I run a finned Neu (1515 2.5D) on 6s, and I think I have had 12/46 with no fit problems. I now run 12/48 or 13/48 using losi 48t spur in Innovative rc chassis. As ilpufxit said, the stock chassis is the weakest link (why I have the Innovative one). Electric brakes work fine, even with my MGM which does not have as strong brakes as the MMM (just gotta crank em up). Check my sig for more info on my Muggy, links to the build thread.

Old
  (#5)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

04.15.2009, 12:53 AM

I'm currently running an 80mm MedUsa (2,000 KV) on 4s with a 16T pinion and a MMM and it's an absolute power house, it's actually ripping my tires apart. The Muggy is a good RC, I've had a ton of fun with mine.

All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work.
  Send a message via AIM to Unsullied_Spy Send a message via MSN to Unsullied_Spy  
Old
  (#6)
drkdgglr

04.15.2009, 01:49 AM

Innovativerc will soon have a chassis for brushless muggy's. It'll work with rc-m's motor mount and battery tray, and probably also come with a single servo mount.

Do the steering mod before you do anything else. Replace the bushings with bearings and replace the steering link with a Jato turnbuckle.

Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.15.2009, 10:43 AM

Does anyone else make a chassis other than innovative?

Also, what size are the bearings in the steering? Are they std size, look bigger than the metric bearings...

My muggy now rolls, and I finished the battery tray and esc mounts last night.

I have a 49t spur on it (had to clearance the chassis and top plate to get that to fit ) and with the hacker c50 11xl I will run a 15t pinion (kv is 1476, and I will run 6s). I like the idea of the 50t slipperential in this but I think the stock chassis would need something like this: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...d=rcmxraybrace

That brace would lift the center diff up enough to clear the larger spur, and give the chassis some added strength in the weak area behind the diff (my stock chassis is bent too, slightly). Only issue would be that the front and rear chassis braces would have to be modded or completely remade. Maybe a turnbuckle style would be easy to incorporate? Not sure of the strength though. I guess the chassis plate brace could just fit around the bottom of the braces, instead of sandwiching between them and the chassis. I would have to drill more holes in the chassis to mount it...

I may pick up a new stock chassis and give it a try!

Old
  (#8)
drkdgglr

04.15.2009, 11:00 AM

I don't know of any other Muggy chassis other than stock or from InnovativeRc.
I used these bearings for the steering: 6x10x3mm.

Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.15.2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkdgglr View Post
I don't know of any other Muggy chassis other than stock or from InnovativeRc.
I used these bearings for the steering: 6x10x3mm.
Thanks Bart, that is an odd size for bearings... I need a few so it is time to search some out!

Old
  (#10)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

04.15.2009, 11:43 AM

There is also the hard anodized chassis, a losi option part, it is much better than stock as well.

Old
  (#11)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.15.2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdebde View Post
There is also the hard anodized chassis, a losi option part, it is much better than stock as well.
Really... I could not find any material info on it. I am guessing the innovative chassis is better than the hard anoed losi chassis, and the price is not much different...

I think I will try my hand at making a chassis brace like the RCM one... It should help, and I have some 4mm 6061 sheet laying around. I will pick up another stock chassis, I do not feel like taking my muggy apart, just spent 3 days rebuilding it!!!

Old
  (#12)
riverat1540
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.15.2009, 06:39 PM

i also have seen the hardened chassis and will do the steering mod this build is going to kind of drag on as money is low right now but when i get close i make take the system out of my crt to run it and see which one i like driving at the moment. but will show my build along the way,
Old
  (#13)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

04.15.2009, 08:27 PM

For the bearings, I think AvidRC carries them (I need them badly for mine) Also check to make sure your turnbuckles are all tight, I had some serious slop in my steering to the point that it wouldn't turn at a dead stop (the servo would just take up the slack).

What's the point in putting a bigger spur in the Muggy? You can easily adjust the gear ratio with pinion gears.

Old
  (#14)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

04.15.2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy View Post
For the bearings, I think AvidRC carries them (I need them badly for mine) Also check to make sure your turnbuckles are all tight, I had some serious slop in my steering to the point that it wouldn't turn at a dead stop (the servo would just take up the slack).

What's the point in putting a bigger spur in the Muggy? You can easily adjust the gear ratio with pinion gears.
It was what i had at the time, so I put it in. I will say that it is super quiet with the 15/49 combo. I thought it was a plastic spur when I ran it. I can also say that 50k ofna diff fluid is way too light for the center diff. I hope I have something heavier...

Old
  (#15)
Unsullied_Spy
RC-Monster Titanium

04.15.2009, 08:48 PM

I have some 30k fluid in my CD and it's way too loose. It'll still almost wheelie over backwards, but I get some serious unloading. I've got some 60k sitting here but I'm thinking I'll step up to some 200k or something uber thick like that.