Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
My LST and Muggy Conversion Thread
Old
  (#1)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

My LST and Muggy Conversion Thread - 02.23.2010, 11:25 PM

So I am about to embark on my journey of learning all I can about the LST/Muggy lines. With the exception of my original Revo conversion (which I doubt if I will ever part with), I have completely shed my ties to Traxxas products (my brother in law is inheritng a nice pile of "junk"). A couple months ago, I ran across a very clean LST roller (It had the motor and everything, just no electronics) locally for 75 bucks. After deciding to put a new emaxx tranny in it, I found a decent buy on a Muggy roller that came with a boat load of spare parts (125 shipped). So here I sit, with two partial rigs, and needing a plan of attack. I've been snooping in Bondonuts thread a little, and one other (sorry, cant remember who's that was right now) for ideas.

Other things I've purchased so far:
Neu 1520
MMM
Hardcore Racing AL LST Arms
Hardcore Racing Ti Skid
...I think thats it so far....but not certain....old age sucks....

So the plan at this time on the LST is to go all Aluminum with the build. I've started a CAD file for it, and will slowly be designing a new upper and lower chassis plate for it, and I'm working with one other member here on a motor mount set up. I want to end up with a mount that adequately supports the longer motors for heavy duty bashing. I have a guy lined up to do the CNC machining for me (or with me, I should say). He's going to show me the ropes of CNC's, and help me figure out what kind of machine to buy for myself. I just happened to stumble on this guy on a Machinist Forum last saturday while I was looking for advice on mills. Fairly lucky to find someone who offers to help like that, and not charge for the machining. I'll have to take him out crabbing sometime after its all done.

I might need some of you guys that have more experience with the LST's for thoughts and opinions on this stuff.
At this point, I think I am leaning towards a center diff, probably with the slipperential (just so I can qualify for the build of the year contest!!!).

As far as the Muggy goes, I'll probably leave it basically stock. Maybe I'll fab up a custom brace or chassis for it. But other than that, it will probably stay basically stock. I'll probably take my equipement off the 8T and use as much of that stuff as I can (1515-2.5D, MMM, Teckno mount/battery tray). I also have Mikes motor mount for an 8T that I might try to use on it. I know I can get "fatter" spurs for the 8T, but not certain what's available for the Muggy.

I have some crummy phone pics of the pile of parts I'll share here in the next post.

BTW....Why dont we have a LST/Muggy forum, or at least a Losi forum. Might want to think about adding one....Brian....??????

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Last edited by JThiessen; 02.23.2010 at 11:30 PM.

Old
  (#2)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

02.23.2010, 11:47 PM

So I started tonight by tearing down the LST. Can I just tell you how easy it was to get the front and rear off the chassis? 12 total screws, and they were off.....and that was with zero knowledge of how these trucks are configured.
Oh...when I was removing the rims from the Muggy - one side had LH threads, the other RH threads....WTF?!?!?!
And whats up with the combo of metric and standard fasteners....crazy....

Here's the pair on the butcher block:

The Muggy

The LST ( I know this picture doesnt do it justice, but there are virtually zero scratches on this thing - even the plastic is clean).

About 20 minutes later - all disassembled:

The bottom plate. Could someone with a XXL measure the end to end distance on theirs? I'm toying with the idea of stretching this thing out....

Top plate. I've marked the holes I need to keep. Any thoughts on where to best locate the steering servo? Seems to me, either one will work.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#3)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

02.24.2010, 12:03 AM

Killer deal on the truck! $75 is a steal. It'll be neat to see how these turn out.

BTW: the LHT on the left side is probably to help keep the nut on. The way the tire rotates on that side tends to loosed wheel nuts, so reversing the threads tightens it.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#4)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

02.24.2010, 12:07 AM

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to also on that. But its a killer when your not expecting it and crank the wheel nut down even tighter when I put my full 240 into it!!

Old
  (#5)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.24.2010, 02:55 AM

1515 might be a bit small on the muggy, depending on what tire/wheel combo you plan to run. I use a 1521 on 6s with std mt badlands... Good setup, and my temps are great even under the southern louisiana sun.

You look to have al bodied shocks on the muggy as well. rpm arms are a good upgrade for the muggy. That and al front knuckles, from new era. The stock c hubs do fine, as do the rear hubs/carriers. The stock knuckles tend to break where the steering tierods attach.

Not much else to say about a muggy, thicker chassis made from 7075 would be sweet...

Old
  (#6)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

02.24.2010, 04:20 PM

Muggy needs better chassis; Losi hard anodized or Innovative-RC. Center diff gears for the 8ight fit the Muggy, may need to make clearance if going larger. In fact, most of the 8ight diff parts are the same as Muggy and LST2.

1515 works fine in the Muggy as long as you don't get too carried away with tires (or gearing), I ran 40 series bowties no problem. Although I now have a 1520 for the Muggy when spring rolls around.

Old
  (#7)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

02.24.2010, 09:39 PM

Jeff, I missed getting my pm to the guy selling the muggy before you by 2 hrs....the deal was way too good to pass up. Glad it went to some one here!

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#8)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

02.24.2010, 10:43 PM

Ha!!! Actually, I almost bought it from the first guy that sold it last fall. Glad I waited, 'cause the second seller added a whole pile of spare parts (I'd swag about 75 bucks worth!). That steel brace that was on it was a real piece of ingenuity though! Would've saved the guy 5 bucks in shipping if he would have removed it!

BDEBE...It was your thread I had followed there for a while that inspired me to go this route....yes, I've read all about the chassis issue. I'll stick with the stock one for now, and see how my machining skills work out with making the LST set up. I wonder how close the chassis is between the 8T and the Muggy??? Hmmmmm.....I just put that thing back together to make room for these two trucks. I'm definitly jacked to get the Muggy going - the only thing I didn't like about the 8T was its low ground clearance.

Old
  (#9)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

02.24.2010, 11:27 PM

I must say, i regret not converting the LST2 i had in my possession. After seeing linc's move around with a 2200/mmm on 5s, i had to have one. I got a good deal on one and then sold it. Now after seeing a couple excellent LST's around here, i'm on the quest again and have my eyes on a couple.

I'm thinking of possibly the center diff as well. I'll have to play around with the calc first.

Enough of my ramble, great finds on the 2. Any insight on the mount your thinking about?

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#10)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

02.25.2010, 12:32 AM

At this point, its all still inside my head...and its cloudy up there! I keep finding myself thinking about something along the lines of a Tekno mount, but probably not fully enclosed as theirs is.

I just got done doing a Chinese blueprint of the upper chassis plate. Only took about the time for a Digornio Pizza to cook and then get cold...still good though! One cut on my finger (Scribing index lines on the plate) - funny how you dont feel a razor blade cutting you until it hits bone.....

Still need that center chassis dimension for a XXL...

Whats hard right now is keeping myself from designing a G-maxx style chassis for it, or like the one Pletty has. Dont want to go the route that has been gone before....but it may make sense....

Old
  (#11)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

02.25.2010, 01:22 PM

You did get a LST correct? not a LST2?

Anyone want to shed light on the difference?

EDIT: Picked up a LST for $100 shipped. It looks great from pics.

N. Rustler conversion

Last edited by nitrostarter; 02.25.2010 at 04:57 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#12)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

02.25.2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrostarter View Post

beefier axle cvd's
beefier arms all 8
beefier hinge pins
rear turnbuckle delete (c hub)
20mm hexes
aluminum diff cases
different chassis rails
different tranny housing

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#13)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

02.25.2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrostarter View Post

EDIT: Picked up a LST for $100 shipped. It looks great from pics.
Its an LST. Good find on yours.

I'm not really concerned about the 1515 2.5D being able to push the Muggy since a 1Y does just fine in my Flux - so its just a matter getting it geared right I'd think.

Still working on the chassis plate design. Got the layout put into CATIA today, plotted it out, and found some errors.

Does anyone have a slipperential that they can get the bearing to bearing measurement off of? Need to start placement and relationship of the motor and mounts.

Old
  (#14)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

02.26.2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

Does anyone have a slipperential that they can get the bearing to bearing measurement off of? Need to start placement and relationship of the motor and mounts.
Well, if you can follow my logic here: My spider diff is 34mm outside of bearing to outside of bearing. When shifted to the motor side of Mike's cd/motor mount the non-diff side bearing hangs on by 2-3mm. PinkPanda's slipperential just falls out of the non-diff side.

In conclusion, the slipperential must be 2-3mm shorter than an ofna spider diff. I'd say there is 4-5mm more for me to shim in the cd/motor mount, which makes Mike's universal mount about 38-39mm apart.

If you went with 34mm you could just shim any slop from the slipperential.

I hope that is close enough to get you started?

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#15)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

02.26.2010, 12:46 AM

Thanks! That should be good for now until I start placing the mounting holes.