Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

tire removal
Old
  (#1)
Moe
RC-Monster Stock

tire removal - 03.24.2010, 10:31 AM

Hi all,

I just bought a new proline caliber tires. I just finished mounting them on the VTR wheels only to realize that the tires are directional.

i didn't pay any attention to the directional rotation while gluing them on. so now im left with one tire in the opposite direction.

this is damn sad... bloody directional pattern!!!

anyway, please someone.... enlighten me with the technique to remove a freshly glued tire.

thanks

Old
  (#2)
big greg

03.24.2010, 10:38 AM

put them in the oven set at 350, when you smell the glue waht a min longer then put some gloves on and gently pull the tire off, do not pull hard! you will rip the tire, you might have to unmount the up side, then flip it over and put it ack in the oven for a couple more mins, this method works very well for me

Old
  (#3)
Moe
RC-Monster Stock

03.24.2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big greg View Post
put them in the oven set at 350, when you smell the glue waht a min longer then put some gloves on and gently pull the tire off, do not pull hard! you will rip the tire, you might have to unmount the up side, then flip it over and put it ack in the oven for a couple more mins, this method works very well for me
would this damage the tire, foam or the wheel in anyway??? cause i still need to use them again. hopefully mounting it back correctly this time

thanks

Old
  (#4)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

03.24.2010, 10:48 AM

personally I simmer them for 10 mins a side...

Old
  (#5)
big greg

03.24.2010, 10:53 AM

it does not damage the tire, arctik i used to boil them too, but ive found baking is a ton easier, you can do them all at once and sometimes boiling discolors the wheel, baking does not, moe just make sure you use a screwdriver or something to scrape off the old glue from the wheel, it will be really brittle and pop right off

Old
  (#6)
Moe
RC-Monster Stock

03.24.2010, 11:19 AM

whoohoooo i can't believe baking really works. very well. it took me only about 6 mins to get the tire off the wheel. u save me 40 bucks.

thanks a lot mate :)

Old
  (#7)
big greg

03.24.2010, 11:27 AM

no problem man

Old
  (#8)
schofield
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.24.2010, 11:28 AM

i love the baking method,
i do it a little different.

set oven to 500
when it reaches 500 i put the tinfoil wrapped tires in and shut it off. then after the oven has cooled down i remove the tin foil and peel off the tires.

kEEp It sUrrEAl

Old
  (#9)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.24.2010, 11:42 AM

Hi guys... regarding the baking method... what about vapours/gasses the CA emits when melted... do you have fumes hanging around? and won't the evaporated
stuff stick to the surfaces of the oven? I wanted to try this method, but i live in a house with Asthmatics (myself included) and I'm just a little concerned about the effects.

Alien

Old
  (#10)
riverat1540
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.24.2010, 12:01 PM

it does put off some fumes but airs out pretty easy and in good time, the fumes are all from the ca glue so there is no doubt a fair odor of fumes

Losi Muggy

medusa 36-80-2000kv
6s turnigy 30c
MMMV3
46ts/ 14-16p
spektrum radio
  Send a message via Yahoo to riverat1540 Send a message via AIM to riverat1540  
Old
  (#11)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.24.2010, 12:14 PM

Yeah there is a definate smell Does go away fairly quickly.. The baking method I have used successfully many times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g...MR6SqQkehkevwA
my youtube channel
  Send a message via Yahoo to phildogg Send a message via AIM to phildogg  
Old
  (#12)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.24.2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildogg View Post
Yeah there is a definate smell Does go away fairly quickly.. The baking method I have used successfully many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat1540 View Post
it does put off some fumes but airs out pretty easy and in good time, the fumes are all from the ca glue so there is no doubt a fair odor of fumes
Interesting... thanks guys... I'll give it a go when the house is empty... boiling works for me, but it does take some time.

Old
  (#13)
Moe
RC-Monster Stock

03.24.2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRY-ALIEN View Post
Hi guys... regarding the baking method... what about vapours/gasses the CA emits when melted... do you have fumes hanging around? and won't the evaporated
stuff stick to the surfaces of the oven? I wanted to try this method, but i live in a house with Asthmatics (myself included) and I'm just a little concerned about the effects.

Alien
its been about 30 mins since i was baking it, and fumes isnt there anymore. not that it was a big deal to start with. it was kind of an indication that the tires are about ready to come out. but there's always the exhaust fan in the kitchen. might help you out with the fumes a bit.

Old
  (#14)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.24.2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
its been about 30 mins since i was baking it, and fumes isnt there anymore. not that it was a big deal to start with. it was kind of an indication that the tires are about ready to come out. but there's always the exhaust fan in the kitchen. might help you out with the fumes a bit.
Cool... ummm... well, i have no extractor above the stove/oven... so i'll just go with a standing fan and open all my windows.

thanks
Alien