Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Project "X"

Traxxas Zero (1/10th Revofluxpede)
Old
  (#1)
EDS

Traxxas Zero (1/10th Revofluxpede) - 02.26.2011, 02:28 AM

Project: Traxxas Zero
The ultimate true 1/10th basher

The traxxas stampede 4x4 came out a few months after I came up with this idea.. but I feel like the Stampede 4x4 made by Traxxas is too weak and doesn't have a TVP chassis our laydown suspension. My project will end up being slightly longer and wider then the Traxxas Stampede 4x4. I want this thing to be exetremly durable... skatepark durable, Bmx track durable, huge jump durable.

My goal: To build the Ultimate One-battery, One motor, true 1/10th scale electric basher.

Features I look to put into the project:

Built like a Tank
4wd
Custom TVP Chassis
Center Differential
Laydown suspension
High ground clearance
Long suspension travel
Inexpensive
Electric
Gear Diffs
Strong a-arms/hub carriers
Roll cage
2.8 wheels/tires
Accommodate 7.4v or 11.1v lipo
Defies Gravity
Stampede stance and look

My starting point...my Traxxas Evo8 project... I have no where to race it so I'm turning it into this project.

Updates to come

Last edited by EDS; 02.26.2011 at 02:30 AM.

Old
  (#2)
EDS

02.26.2011, 02:29 AM

Last night I disassembled the buggy and took all the parts that I will be using for this project. I then went thru and cleaned all the parts. This project is ofcourse going to end getting dirty but it has to be clean for the finished pictures.. plus, I don't like working with dirty parts.

The Slayer a-arms will probably be replaced with Slayer Pro a-arms and the rear hubs will probably be replaced with Rpm hubs.

I layed out partial front and rear ends to get a idea of how long its going to be .. and how everything is going to be layed out. Ofcourse the center diff and motor and all that are going to be raised up from the position that they are at in the pictures since its a monster truck.

Here is my list of stuff to get...

1/4" lexan or 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum for chassis
Traxxas Updated slayer a-arms
Losi High Roller Body
Dust boots
2.8 Badland or Trencher Tires
Rpm revo hub carriers
Rpm Front/Rear bumpers
Rpm Front/Rear bumper mounts
Traxxas front/rear body mounts
Ace 5000mah 3s lipo
Reciever

I have the esc and servo. and I got the motor today

I'm a bit worried it might not be the right motor for this application.. its a Speed Passion Silver Arrow motor. Diameter is 36mm and length is 63mm. Its 3214kv. Its a short course motor

I picked it up used for $40 shipped. I'm going to be using 3s. What I'm worried about is that I have a feeling this truck will be pretty heavy..especially if I use aluminum Tvp's. I'm not sure whether or not the Kv is too high. I'm shooting for around 40-45mph. I'm worried that the motor will get too hot or won't have enough torque. What do you guys think??

Heres a picture of it by itself and also a picture compared to a mamba 5700 and a Feigao 8XL.

I'm going to actually start building the truck today. I'm going to try and get the bottom chassis plates/skid plates done and maybe even the top ones. Who knows we will see how far I get.

Old
  (#3)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

02.26.2011, 02:33 AM

Cool project! I love seeing these hybrid builds...

If you're worried about the motor getting too hot- gear it for ~35mph, check temps, and see if there is room (thermally) to gear it up.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#4)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

02.26.2011, 04:22 AM

I would say go with alloy for chassis over Lexan, or even carbon-fiber if you can fit it into the budget. CF used for a TVP chassis would be very light and tough as nails. Plus it just has that exotic, high-end look. Of course I'm just really partial to the stuff, alloy will still do a great job too and cost much less.

EDIT: If the SpeedPassion motor doesn't work out the new Castle 1415 2400kv motor would be a great choice.

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Last edited by simplechamp; 02.26.2011 at 04:23 AM.

Old
  (#5)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

02.26.2011, 09:47 AM

Would definitely go with 7075 over 6061 for the chassis. Cost only a little more and is stronger and will give you more rigidity. It also handles tapped holes better than 6061 without stripping.

Otherwise looks like a cool project.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#6)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 10:07 AM

I'd suggest a double decker design rather than a TVP. The Traxxas stuff you are using is more suited for that than TVPs anyways, as revo is almost a double deck design anyways.

Heck even G10 fiberglass would be better than lexan. But really yeah, if you want a "tank", you should go with 7075 or like 3mm CF.

Keep in mind most of the SC 4WD vehicles are around 6lbs, and the 540/550 SC motors are oriented towards 2S usage (ROAR, bleah, stupid.. should have gone 3S for 4WD), so more voltage should allow you to use lower gearing, so should keep the motor cooler.

Old
  (#7)
reno911
Smelly Nitro meet your maker!

02.26.2011, 04:37 PM

Cool project, I look forward to seeing the progress. I enjoyed watching the Evo8, so I know this will be of the same likes.

Old
  (#8)
Kcaz25
RC-Monster Titanium

02.26.2011, 10:00 PM

Its sad to see the 1/8th scale buggy go. It was so one of a kind.

Old
  (#9)
EDS

02.27.2011, 04:35 PM

whats nitro: I think I'm going to start at the lowest gearing I can 12/50 and work up from there.

Simplechamp: I've decided to use alloy. Carbon fiber looks awesome.. but I want to feel like I can beat on this thing and not have to worry about breaking a $70 chassis.

Yea, the castle 2400kv looks to be my back up plan.

Texassp: I think that 6061 will be plenty strong especially since it will be 3mm thick.

Thzero: I feel like and have heard a TVP chassis will be a lot stronger. Also making a double deck chassis with enough ground clearance or a single deck chassis with enough strength I believe would be quiet difficult.

Ok I will keep that in mind.

Reno: Yep, I can guarantee this one will be just as good.

Kcaz: I know what your saying.. but the Evo8 will be featured in a upcoming issue of RcDriver soon...so that makes me feel better about tearing it a part and turning it into this.. something I will actually use.

Old
  (#10)
J57ltr
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.27.2011, 08:28 PM

Can you even buy 3mm thick aluminum? If you want this thing to be bulletproof as you say 3mm is not even 1/8" thick. 6061 is pretty strong, and I don't even think 7075 will be strong enough for what you are talking about, but Texas SP is correct on strength, 7075 is much stronger.

If you need a source for metal try Metal Supermarket.

Jeff

The Warnings & Cautions discussed in this manual cant cover all possible conditions/situations. It must be understood that common sense and caution are factors which cant be built into this product.

Old
  (#11)
EDS

02.27.2011, 09:46 PM

Sorry I should have said its 1/8" which is what I will be using. Considering that the Stock Savage Flux uses 2.5 mm TVP's and weighs at least twice as much as what this truck will weigh I believe that 1/8" 6061 should be strong enough. But nobody really knows until its tested out. Guess time will tell.

Old
  (#12)
thzero
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.28.2011, 08:38 AM

The 2.5mm is too thin for the Flux really. 3.5mm would have been far better.

Old
  (#13)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

02.28.2011, 01:08 PM

I have made custom parts with both 8th inch 6061 and 7075 and the 6061 bends too easily and does not thread well. Of course if you have to weld it the 6061 is you best bet but the 7075 is superior in every other way.

Of course the last chassis parts I ever made were titanium. Can't remember which grade though. They were beasts and never bent.

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#14)
EDS

03.05.2011, 08:54 PM

Unfortunatly, I have to switch my concentration back to a custom 2wd buggy I just finished..I recently became a "project' contributing editor for RcDriver magazine and so they want me to send it to them for pictures and have me write an article about it. Currently its fully disassembled and requires some new parts..Sooo I'm going to have to work on that for the next week or so. I'm sorry.

but, I did receive the wheels and bodies for this truck.
I decided to go with a Losi High Roller body becuase it is meant to fit on trucks with a 11.5"-12" wheelbase. I feel like the Stampede 4x4 is alittle bit too short so this body was the perfect size. Usually these bodies are $30 brand new.. $16.87 +$10.00 shipping...if you buy two then its about $33+$10.00 shipping .. Considering that means these are almost half price I decided to buy too since I'm sure they won't last very long..and the 1/10th High Roller has disappeared from Losi's website so who knows how much longer these bodies will be around.

I decided to go with Imex Eagle Black Jato 2.8 rear wheels. I saw a picture of these with Badlands on them and they looked pretty sick.

I mocked it up to get a feeling of how this beast is going end up looking.

Old
  (#15)
EDS

07.16.2011, 11:32 PM

After a 4 month hiatus from this project.. I have made it my top priority project again there are just too many awesome bashing spots around here to not take advantage of them before winter comes...so updates will be coming soon.