RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Project "X"

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

07.31.2010, 09:38 PM

Interesting shock set up ? Do you think the four little shocks will enough for the complete truck ? It's still gonna be 10-11lbs when complete, I was woundering if a heavier duty front buggy 1/8scale shocks might be better ? IDK.

Yes, very Revo-ish, I really like the looks of the lay out.

Very nice job of fabricating my friend.

You could also swap sides and turn around the rear arms so the rear shocks would be on the other end as well ? Lot you can do with how you put everything together, pretty slick indeed.

EDIT, what size bolts did you use for the pin replacement. I really like that idea even tho I never had probs with loosing E-clips.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Last edited by Bondonutz; 07.31.2010 at 09:42 PM.

Old
  (#17)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

07.31.2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondonutz View Post
what size bolts did you use for the pin replacement. I really like that idea even tho I never had probs with loosing E-clips.
Those are the ST Racing set, 4mm shoulder bolts. They're kinda pricey but I ponied up the cash for them because I have a longstanding hatred of e clips

I actually had the rear shocks on the rear side, but decided they'd be much better protected on the front.

As for the Bigbores, they have worked extremely well in the 15 or so test runs I've done so far. I did intend to get a set of Ofna shocks, but these are working so well I've stopped thinking about changing them. The preload spacers are not on them in the pics because the boots need replacing and they need to come apart again. The rear squats the slightest bit on throttle stabs, which makes it less wheelie-prone. But the 1520 on 6S will throw it up
with it's 14.4" wheelbase still. It's geared for roughly 38 mph and it gets there in about 10 feet, way impressive. The motor and MMM are barely cracking 100 or 105 the whole run. I haven't weighed it yet magman, but with the 1520 weight is really not an issue

Old
  (#18)
Fast5sRevo88

08.01.2010, 01:23 PM

pissed myself

Old
  (#19)
The Cow
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.01.2010, 01:41 PM

WOW.. This makes me all mushy inside!!

Nice job!

Heath

"from deep within the barn doors"
** COWRC.COM **

Old
  (#20)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

08.01.2010, 05:09 PM

You are right w/the 1520 you should not have any probs...I have my 1520 in my truggy

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#21)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

08.02.2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
This makes me all mushy inside!!
Not sure if that's good?

I got a chance to run it in the woods yesterday, and I have some video from it but not of it, buddy's OBV cam didn't save the file...

The 1520 is the perfect motor for this, I have nothing but praise. The power is just awesome. I have it geared conservatively, because it's running on two 3S 30C 2200s. I'm getting over 12 minutes, and I don't intend to get bigger packs, I have 3 sets and they charge in 15 minutes :) The efficiency compared to my old 9XL is... well it doesn't compare. Worth every penny without any doubt. So as it is, I could gear it to the moon with higher capacity packs. The Losi plastic spur is showing no sign of stress or wear with about 18 runs now, the last 6 or so runs very hard on throttle and brakes. I have to be extremely careful as the MMM is somewhat vulnerable. I need a lid, quick like. Very happy so far, just wish I had the lost video from yesterday, I'll be getting more. I'll try to get some RTR pics this week, wheels and everything in the daylight.

Old
  (#22)
Byte

08.03.2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
Not sure if that's good?

I got a chance to run it in the woods yesterday, and I have some video from it but not of it, buddy's OBV cam didn't save the file...

The 1520 is the perfect motor for this, I have nothing but praise. The power is just awesome. I have it geared conservatively, because it's running on two 3S 30C 2200s. I'm getting over 12 minutes, and I don't intend to get bigger packs, I have 3 sets and they charge in 15 minutes :) The efficiency compared to my old 9XL is... well it doesn't compare. Worth every penny without any doubt. So as it is, I could gear it to the moon with higher capacity packs. The Losi plastic spur is showing no sign of stress or wear with about 18 runs now, the last 6 or so runs very hard on throttle and brakes. I have to be extremely careful as the MMM is somewhat vulnerable. I need a lid, quick like. Very happy so far, just wish I had the lost video from yesterday, I'll be getting more. I'll try to get some RTR pics this week, wheels and everything in the daylight.

Niceeeeee :)

Old
  (#23)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

08.03.2010, 09:07 PM

Video and RTR pics !
Tired of waiting !

I bet your happy with that 1520 on 6s, with the power and efficentcy.
It's a seriously potent combo ! ! ! !

I was able to score the shoulder bolts I needed to replace the pins here in town. Not sure of the grade but it's all stainless steel. I got the 8 bolts, flat washers and nylock nuts w/tax for $8.05 out the door.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#24)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

08.03.2010, 10:19 PM

That's a way better deal. The ST bolts are like twice that and are steel. They are rusting from the humidity! I will be putting some light oil on them... I got looking at LST/Mug part upgrades while I was making an order, think they were from Amain. Anyway being plain steel I can't really recommend them. Nothing on this truck is supposed to be rusting dammit! Still better than e clips IMO...

A few other items of mention, the truck (thing) as it sits vaguely resembles a pickup truck... that's not the intent and there's about a zero chance it'll be a truck. The idea is to cap off the sides where the spur protrudes, and the spur/pinion area, to make the gears and both center cvds dust-tight. That will leave only the outdrives to deal with after a good sand blast. There will be a plastic bottom piece as soon as I decide whether to make the packs top or bottom loading. The aluminum will be painted and it'll have an anti-flip wing as I did on the old Maxx. Everything else is still up in the air, but I'll try for pics tomorrow.

And yeah, 1520 FTW!!!

Old
  (#25)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

08.05.2010, 11:57 PM

Well admittedly I had some doubt as to the direct servo steering, and my concerns were not baseless. It survived 20+ runs before I snapped a horn, but not before doing some damage to the servo internals...

So a redesign is in progress, gonna be a few days at least. But this will be a permanent fix

Old
  (#26)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

08.06.2010, 02:42 AM

Why aren't you working for DARPA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
But this will be a permanent fix.
That's the best kind!

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#27)
reno911
Smelly Nitro meet your maker!

08.06.2010, 02:58 PM

Nice build, can't wait to see the finished product.

Old
  (#28)
Overdriven
Destroyer of Tires

08.07.2010, 02:29 AM

I tried the Ofna savers once they are way too loose. The best I've been able to find is the stock MGT servo saver. They don't have much if any slop. If you don't want to integrate one somewhere else, I'd try them. Very nice work btw, can't wait to see more.

LST XXL MMM 1717 Custom Fabbed Conversion

Last edited by Overdriven; 08.07.2010 at 02:32 AM.

Old
  (#29)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

08.07.2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post

+1

Some really fresh idea's. Brilliant work Redshift

Old
  (#30)
redshift
RC-Monster Square Tube

08.07.2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
They're a bit uptight....

Sorry for the delay guys, working on it atm, but your comments are much appreciated!

OverD, when I did the twin s.s. trials I was still running my old Maximizers with the 3/4" offset. So that made the pull on the knuckles much harder on accel & braking. I researched tire and wheel combos until I reached the conclusion to stick with what I had, only with new faceplates. The Zombie Max tires have over 2 years of use, are already taped, and I'm gonna use them up :)

I just needed to go back to zero offset on the faceplates, so I got my dimensions from the old faceplates. I decided I didn't want to mess with hexes, so they are slotted and I'm using screws instead of locknuts with these. Also I made the outer 4-40 screws countersunk to clean up the look. There's 8 or 9 hours in the wheels, time well spent IMO. I considered making some faux lugbolt holes in the center, I may make some changes to them. I'd like to hear opinions on that...

Comparison shot, and back side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0575.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	9230   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0579.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	9231