RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > General Electric

NeuEnergy 6s pack wiring
Old
  (#1)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

NeuEnergy 6s pack wiring - 02.26.2011, 01:01 AM

Calling the RCM guru's for a little assistance.

Just got in the mail my NeuEnergy 6s pack. I feel like a NeuB because I have never seen this configuration before.

So my questions are how do I wire it? I'm guessing it's two 3s packs wrapped as one, but nothing is marked on the wires or battery. If you notice the balance taps one has an extra empty slot, two leads are shorter than the other two.

So do I put the two short leads on one Deans, and the two long leads on another? Then what balance tap is for which deans. I have a Hyperion I610 Duo so charging in Sync mode is not a problem. I'm also assuming the ESC gets wired for series?

Please help, thanks.

Last edited by FG101C; 05.12.2012 at 07:52 PM.

Old
  (#2)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 01:09 AM

weird...never seen a battery wired up like that....
I guess I haven't seen many Neu batts though.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#3)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

02.26.2011, 01:17 AM

I'm almost certain you need to charge/balance each 3s pack seperately, or two cells will short through the balance taps... In other words, the pack needs to have 4 main connectors on it, and two balancers when charging. To run in 6s mode just connect the two short leads (red/black) together and the long leads to the ESC, or vice versa. I am assuming one pack has a LONG RED and a SHORT BLACK lead, and the other has a LONG BLACK and a SHORT RED lead. You may want to test with a meter to confirm this.

I'm a bit tired so I could be wrong- another good reason for you to use a meter and test/label the leads.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Last edited by What's_nitro?; 02.26.2011 at 01:28 AM.

Old
  (#4)
OZ-RUSTLER
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

02.26.2011, 01:44 AM

My 6S Hyperion lipos are the same, but they were labeled A and B. I just soldered the the short wires together and put my connector on the long wires. Did you receive a Y harness for the balance taps? They came with my Hyperions so you can charge as a 6S.

Old
  (#5)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 02:27 AM

No Y harness no labeling, nothing, I guess what Nitro said makes sense.

A short black and long red for one pack and vice versa, still unclear on what tap goes with which pack. I guess I could cut the red wrap off and have a look, then rewrap it. Think I'll wait to do anything to it and make sure it even fits the FLM tranny forward chassis for the Savage when it arrives.

Old
  (#6)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What's_nitro? View Post
I'm almost certain you need to charge/balance each 3s pack seperately, or two cells will short through the balance taps... In other words, the pack needs to have 4 main connectors on it, and two balancers when charging. To run in 6s mode just connect the two short leads (red/black) together and the long leads to the ESC, or vice versa. I am assuming one pack has a LONG RED and a SHORT BLACK lead, and the other has a LONG BLACK and a SHORT RED lead. You may want to test with a meter to confirm this.

I'm a bit tired so I could be wrong- another good reason for you to use a meter and test/label the leads.
I actually found my voltmeter and you are right long and short make a pack. Now the taps, I have the Hyperion to Neu boards but the one tap has an extra hole and does not fit the 3s slot. I have some Hyperion taps I guess I could just put one of those on it in place of the one thats there, PITA.

Old
  (#7)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

02.26.2011, 01:35 PM

If you want to balance it as one pack, you need a Y harness. Reason being, when you connect the short red/black leads together, you are creating a common node from the red/black balance wires from their respective packs. A 6s pack should only have 7 balance wires, not 8.

It is OK to charge as a 6s and balance as two 3s packs with separate balancers.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#8)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 01:41 PM

The pack will end up with two deans, so I figure it will be charged as two separate 3s packs in Sync mode on my duo charger. What I'm saying is for some reason they put a 4s tap on one set of balance wires instead of a 3s tap. My plan is to replace the one with a Hyperion tap, that will also distinguish between the two so I plug in everything correctly when it's time to charge.

Guess I should have just went with the hobbysh!@tty nanotech pack, but I do need something to do today.

Old
  (#9)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

02.26.2011, 01:56 PM

I personally would series-connect the main leads and replace the two balance taps with a single 6 balance connector of your choosing. Then, it's just a matter of wiring (and one balance wire won't be used; like in the diagrams on my calc site).
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#10)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 02:26 PM

I would assume that one of the black wires won't be used? Would that one have to tie into the black balance lead that does get used? Am I making this more difficult than it is?

Old
  (#11)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.26.2011, 04:15 PM

if you do connect them, double check everything with a voltmeter before connecting wires. I was making a series adapter to charge 2 2S lipos at once and accidentally shorted them through the balance taps. Both batts still work fine, but the spark scared the crap outta me for a few seconds!

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#12)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.27.2011, 12:55 AM

Done. Two different taps this way I remember which balancer for which main channel plug. Didn't have to order anything (that I couldn't find anyway). Now if I can just get this Savage finished.

Last edited by FG101C; 05.12.2012 at 07:51 PM.

Old
  (#13)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.12.2011, 01:54 AM

Quick rant, I wonder why it is so mf'n hard for rc companies to be a little more specific, everything about this battery makes it a .........$100.00 paperweight for my use. Can't even get the cells apart to even attempt to rewire it. Stupidass wires running down the sides make it to wide to fit my app. I am so fu____g glad I wasted yet another $100.00, this is my last build and I'm freakn done. Rant over...for whatever it's worth, or whoever gives a f__)

Old
  (#14)
OZ-RUSTLER
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.12.2011, 02:24 AM

I feel your pain.
I had the exact same problem with my split wired Hyperions fitting in my Baja battery tray.

Old
  (#15)
FG101C
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.12.2011, 02:40 AM

It looks like they CA'd the dam cells together, right in the middle. It's two 3's packs glued together the tabs are soldered to boards on both ends. If I could get them apart, spin them then I could patch them with a really short wire, then just resolder the balance wires so they are coming out of the Sam end as the deans will be on. All I would then need to do is hunt down Hyperion taps for 6s and it might work. I told myself to buy the battery last but noooo I jumped the gun.