RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Digital display balancer
Old
  (#1)
76Bentley

Digital display balancer - 04.02.2010, 11:51 PM

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Voltage-Tester

I have been using an Astro Blinky balancer for some time now and recently bought a new charger the Triton EQ 2 which is also suppose to aid in keeping your batteries happy.

But I saw these the other day at A-main hobbies and wondered about them, I would like to see the pack getting balanced and be able to know after a run where the cells are at. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would you recommend them and if so what brand?

Thanks for your help!

Old
  (#2)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.03.2010, 02:51 AM

Both of my chargers that are in regular use can display individual cell voltages, but i have raced with a couple of guys that have shultze (SP) chargers which are very good and have 2 outputs but only 1 has an internal balancer and can display cell voltages, they use this balancer, it has an LCD display that can show all the cell voltages at the same time, rather than scrolling through them one by one making it much easier to read and works very well, it has been discontinued now though, quite possibly by this unit which I have not seen in use but looks very much like an improved version of the other one, with indications on the LCD of what mode its in and which cells are balancing, and at $24 it will probably get to your door for less than the other one even if Amain is local to you so you can pick it up.

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Old
  (#3)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.03.2010, 03:57 AM

Whatever you get, be aware that there may be some error in one or more channels. So, even though each cell may read 4.20v, they might actually be 4.18, 4.21, 4.16, etc. I have yet to see a voltage display that is 100% accurate. The worst I saw was a cheapie one that was anywhere from +0.05 to -0.07. That's only a 1.66% error so you might find that acceptable. IIRC, Turnigy has one that you can calibrate using a voltmeter as a reference to increase the accuracy.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#4)
76Bentley

04.03.2010, 10:27 AM

Hey thanks for the input.

Paul, thanks for the link on that one, I like the looks of the read out. The eyes aren't as young as they use to be, seems easy to read.

Brian thank you for your input. Would you consider that close enough even if off by a couple of tenths of a volt just to try and extend the longevity of the pack or check condition?

Plus one of my concerns is I go long periods of time without being able to use my packs. (i have little kids) I charge them to the proper capacity for storage, but would like to check them before storage and when I get ready to use them next. Also when I do get a new pack I would like to see how close the cells are to start.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Old
  (#5)
sikeston34m
RC-Monster Brushless

04.03.2010, 11:08 AM

I've been using the balancer referenced in the second link. The Battery Medic.

After several months of use, I love it. All the cell voltages displayed in an instant. It's very accurate.

It's great! Getcha one. You won't be disappointed.

If you have TP balance tabs, just pick up an adapter and this balancer will work with those too.

Old
  (#6)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

04.03.2010, 11:57 AM

Hey Nativeboy, are you sure that is a new and improved version? Looks exactly the same and has exactly the same specs but is just branded differently. I have the same balancer with no brand.

Old
  (#7)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.03.2010, 12:28 PM

No, not sure at all in fact looking at the pics again it does indeed look the same, more like cheaper recranded rather than new improved. How much was your unbranded one?

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Old
  (#8)
76Bentley

04.03.2010, 12:33 PM

I appreciate the feedback, got one on order. Thanks again!

Old
  (#9)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

04.03.2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativepaul View Post
No, not sure at all in fact looking at the pics again it does indeed look the same, more like cheaper recranded rather than new improved. How much was your unbranded one?
To be honest, I can't remember and can't find the documentation but for $24 you can't go wrong. Knowing what's going on with the battery is worth it.