Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#46)
Procharged5.0
RC-Monster Titanium

09.24.2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrusedc View Post
This is my midlife crisis. Better $1000 than a 20 year old blonde)

Ultimately the RC hobby (no matter how much you may spend) will still be FAR less expensive than the 20-yr old blonde!

That's all I have to say about that!

Supermaxx-Racer-X, VBS, FLM chassis & Transcase, HSR Motorsports Slipper, Cage, MMM ESC, NEU1515. REVO 3.3, BL X1-CRT, CRT, BL-CRT.5, Procharged '92 Mustang visit www.chitownrc.com and www.rcbros.com

Old
  (#47)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

09.25.2007, 12:48 PM

+1 to that statement; hence why I've stayed single all my life (through choice, honest).
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#48)
GorillaMaxx360
Always Willing to Obtain More Knowledge

10.04.2007, 08:54 PM

what gearing are you running and how is the mesh. WHat size pinion with the 51t gear do you atleast need to use for the mesh to work.

Old
  (#49)
suicideneil

10.04.2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaMaxx360 View Post
what gearing are you running and how is the mesh. WHat size pinion with the 51t gear do you atleast need to use for the mesh to work.
52t mod1 Associated gear and a 17t pinion.
Old
  (#50)
mkrusedc
NeuMaxx

10.04.2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
52t mod1 Associated gear and a 17t pinion.
Thanks for posting that Neil.

Sorry GorillaMax360, I have not checked this thread in a while. I was worried about the gears meshing because of the Neu hitting the tranny so measured the distance between the tranny input shaft and the motor shaft. I then used Brian's gear calculator to come up with the gears. I had to use the Associated gear because I still have the stock slipper. I have a stobe on the way so i may try some different gear ratios in the future.

Here it is: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_gear_calc.html

Last edited by mkrusedc; 10.04.2007 at 09:53 PM.

Old
  (#51)
mkrusedc
NeuMaxx

10.08.2007, 12:39 AM

I got a chance to do a little bashing today. Sorry no vids but some teperatures for those that have asked.

I ran 4s1p 4900mAh batts until the LVC shut me down. Ambient temp was 87F. Gearing is 52t spur and 17t pinion.

With a body with vent holes:
motor was 127F
esc was 105F

Without a body:
motor was 126F
esc was 103F

my Neu

Old
  (#52)
suicideneil

10.08.2007, 12:46 PM

Those are excellent temps. I would say you could (if you wanted to) go up at least one or two teeth on the pinion- that shoulf give you abit more topend & equalize the temps between the motor & esc (motor will come down a touch & the esc will go up a touch).
Old
  (#53)
mkrusedc
NeuMaxx

10.08.2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that and then update you guys.

Old
  (#54)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

10.08.2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrusedc View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that and then update you guys.
Nope, Neu's are not Feigao motors... they do not get cooler when you increase the load, they progressively increase in temp, and the ligher the load and higher the rpm, they run cooler. And they are not picky motors like the Feigao motors, there is no optimal loading that has to be found. Just gear for what speed you want and keep the temps in check.

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#55)
mkrusedc
NeuMaxx

10.08.2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropointbug View Post
Nope, Neu's are not Feigao motors... they do not get cooler when you increase the load, they progressively increase in temp, and the ligher the load and higher the rpm, they run cooler. And they are not picky motors like the Feigao motors, there is no optimal loading that has to be found. Just gear for what speed you want and keep the temps in check.
I did not know that either. It is plenty fast right now. I may try a few speed runs with different pinions.

Mike sure does know his motors. I explained to him my truck, my RC experience and what I wanted. He recommended this motor. I couldn't be happier!

Old
  (#56)
GorillaMaxx360
Always Willing to Obtain More Knowledge

10.08.2007, 06:14 PM

with a lower total overall gear ratio should i expect less temps from the motor or more. for example i want to run a 49t spur gear and a 20t pinion but i have 1/8 buggy diffs instead of stock maxx (ratio) diffs. with the same calculations as mkrusedc except different diffs and spur and pinion my ratio comes out to be 13.95662 : 1 and his setup comes out to be 14.99346 : 1. does this mean i can expect hotter or colder temps out of my Neu. and if so would it be a small change(like about 10 degrees F).

Old
  (#57)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

10.08.2007, 08:24 PM

That much of a small difference... your driving style will have more of an impact than that. It could run cooler, or it could run warmer, I couldn't tell you.

But under the same driver, virtually nothing as far as temp increase. You probably wouldn't feel a difference as far as temps goes.

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#58)
suicideneil

10.08.2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropointbug View Post
Damn cheap feigaos, they've ruined my logic & sense of reasoning.
Old
  (#59)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

10.08.2007, 09:25 PM

Yes, when I came to the world of brushless, the fact the way the Feigao's act as a motor was just so alien to me... they are simply cheaper motors, which at the very least make your R/C move, and move fast might I add.

Old
  (#60)
mkrusedc
NeuMaxx

10.08.2007, 10:35 PM

GorillaMaxx360 was asking about how well the Neu fit because of its size.

It fits flush against the smaller side of the GorillaMax single speed tranny. I originaly tried my Neu with a MM. To prevent cogging I would need the smallest pinion that would fit. I also knew I was going to have to use, at least initally, a stock slipper with a 52t mod spur. Using Brian's gear calculator and measuring the distance between between the motor shaft and the input shaft I came up with the smallest pinion that would mesh, a 17t.

Here is the mesh seen from the rear. I used the "put a piece of paper between the gear" to get a good mesh.

Last edited by mkrusedc; 10.09.2007 at 01:34 AM.

Tags
e-maxx, flm, mgm, neu, ulimited engineering