RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Advice needed!
Old
  (#1)
reno911
Smelly Nitro meet your maker!

Advice needed! - 03.23.2010, 04:12 AM

So I have come to a crossroad in my RC life. For the first time I am becoming aware of my problem. I suffer from an addiction.

Anyway all funny stuff aside I am loosing it. I have 7 RCs currently 6 operational, 3 of which are buggies. I need to figure something out. I don't need all of them and I only really play with one at a time. My wife is the only person with whom I can enjoy bash time with besides being alone. I haven't took to many of the folks at the races and I can't keep paying for racing either. So what I am asking is should I just sell off everything I don't need and try to make some of the money back, or just stand by my money pits and shut up. The thing is I really do have a lot. It isn't as if I have one battery for five RCs it is more like 5 packs for each of the 5-7 RCs.

I really just want to simplify. I keep thinking I need more and than I add and modify and add and modify, but really my Slash 4x4 was fine when it was a 2s vxl without losi shocks. Now it has a MMM 2650 and I had to buy 3s packs to run it.

What is the easier way to sell RC stuff, eBay, RCtech, here? I have tried locally and here with very little luck, mostly here more than local. In Reno everyone seems to think that everything used is only worth about 25% of its depreciated value.

I recently found that I enjoy walking with my Revo through the many trails around my home. I was thinking of some sort of rock racer type RC for that, instead of my big ole e-revo, which also has too many mods to list.

I know I am starting to come off as a lunatic and it is late, but I know for a fact that a lot of those here suffer similar addiction and seem to go from one RC to the next. My question for those is where does the last one go? As of now I really want to keep my e-revo until I truly decide if a rock racer can replace it, my slash 4x4 which will most likely go back to 2s on vxl, my wifes slash 2x4, which doesn't have a stock part on it, besides the front bulikhead, my drifter, and the one buggy I want to keep is my converted duratrax raze because it truly takes a beating and if I wanted to race it I could. That leaves my 8ight and Caster Fusion to hit the dust. Which nocks off two on the list but ultimately if I add a ax10 to the mix I will only have lost one. Why do I feel so attached...

I apologize in advance for my ranting. I had to let it go...

Old
  (#2)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

03.23.2010, 08:11 AM

I'm sick puppy myself, when I finially decided to go 2.4 I purposely bought the DX3S due to only a 10 model memory to help keep the collection in check. It has helped me because prior I had 17-18 and 6 TX's . It was just crazy, now I'm thinking of downsizing again a few models to keep maitinance time down some. But I have none I can truely part with due to the mods and upgrades and appreciation plus the mentioned depreciated value aspect.
The RC's will not go bad from sitting, the Lipos will tho.
If you can afford them and have a place to store them, keep them !

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Unfortunately.
Old
  (#3)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Unfortunately. - 03.23.2010, 08:55 AM

Unfortunately you are preaching to the chior around here. Most of our members have more than one toy and a good number of them have even more than you do. James aka lincpimp must have like 50 or more R/C's at his place. Look this hobby is not cheap by any means and you either love it, or you hate it. Alot of R/C stuff is depreciated more than 50% the moment you start running it. That is just simple economics. Resale value on just about anything is truly only 10% to 20% of its original retail value. The only way to maintain value in R/C stuff is to buy high end gear like UE, and even RCM gear which does not depreciate quite as quickly as some others. Why anyone needs more than 3 or 4 R/C's is beyond me, unless you race in several different classes or you have lots of kids to share them with. I have three vehicles myself, the wife has one, and each of my kids has one. The trick is to buy one and nothing else until you build the first one up to a point in which you are happy with it.

Then maybe at that point delve into another area and start another build project. The biggest problem in this hobby is that there are so many great vehicles to chose from and it is hard to stick with one type of vehicle, plus the amount of hopups for some is just rediculous. I would love to own a Baja 5b, and a high end crawler, and maybe even an F-1 speedster. We can all throw out some numbers to guess what that would cost. Every truck we have here in our house right now are 3906 style Maxx vehicles. One UE "Lightning" SuperMaxx, one RCM Maxx, One Integy Maxx, two stocker Maxx's, and one that I have not even decided on yet. Once we get all of them runing to a level that I am happy with, then I may pick up a 5b. Until then I have enough work to keep me busy around here with what we have already. You just need to be tough and limit yourself.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#4)
George16
Supermaxx

03.23.2010, 09:18 AM

1. Are you happy, content, and enjoy running/tinkering with the rc's you have?
2. Can you afford it without dipping into your savings?
3. Does you wife approve it?

If you answer yes to at least 2 of the 3 questions above, then keep them.

I have also amassed some rc's over the years especially after I quit drinking and smoking almost 12 years ago. I put into an account what could have been spent on booze and smoke through the years. I'm very fortunate to be able to do just that because I can get some money from it to buy what I want. Besides, playing rc with my son is priceless. I have about 10-11 trucks now .

Here are some of what I have:

Her favorite is the Gmaxx .

Castle Neu 1520 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .21TM
Supermaxx with Mach .26
Revo with OS .18TZ
Kyosho ST-RR Conversion
Ofna CR with Tekin ESC/Motor (2)

Old
  (#5)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

03.23.2010, 09:46 AM

I think I finally realized about 2 weeks ago that I have a problem too. Buddy needed a motor and I just asked him what turn and took a picture with my phone and sent it to him (had about 10 in the shot plus all my cars have ones already in them). Then I pulled out tires and had a separate box for each class that I run of new tires (40+ pairs).

Kyosho SC, tekin rs, D3 17.5
Hyper 9e, mmp,tekin 1900kv
Associated sc10 4x4, novak 4.5

Old
  (#6)
reno911

03.23.2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
1. Are you happy, content, and enjoy running/tinkering with the rc's you have?
2. Can you afford it without dipping into your savings?
3. Does you wife approve it?
Yes
Not really
Yes

I think I am at the point were I haven't truly found the RC I am 100% happy with. I would say it is my E-Revo but there is the two battery thing, and not to mention the release of the Summit.

A little about me to help with my rut.

I am 23 I have had at least one model grade RC since I was 15 before I could even drive a 1/1.

I quit my job and have been doing some soul searching the last month. I worked for UPS since age 16 with work credit in highschool. Finally decided that I wanted to work in a less stressful work environment. Unfortunately for me I chose the worst time to seek my soul. I got a gig working for my LHS at close to a third of the hourly wage I was accustomed to. Got fired in two weeks for putting the owner on the spot for a answer to something that was rather important to me, my wifes bday vacation weekend. I had only asked for a Friday off. I did enjoy working there though and it was something that besides the financial situation I could see myself doing.

Anyway I have spent the last 3 weeks unemployed and hating most things about this hellhole known as Reno NV. I only want to be a part of the thing I love and that is RC. I have been all around searching for a job related to something I enjoy. Finally I have decided that I want to at least be able to work in an office setting or somewhere where I don't have to continue to seek medical attention for my lower back.

Back to RCs I have been spending quite a bit with a few of them lately, since I spend a lot of time at home now, and have been getting to know a bit more about my RC personality and what it is I acquire from them. That is why I am in this little pickle, I have realized I want something that hasn't been made yet. In my head it resembles something along the lines of a true 1/10 scale Summit with a single battery tray, brushless, waterproof, durable, and can crawl with good articulation.

As you can see right now RCs are definitely something that brings me excitement and I want to continue in my search for that 100%.

Old
  (#7)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

03.23.2010, 11:16 AM

Apply for a job at castle...

Old
  (#8)
reno911

03.23.2010, 11:26 AM

Oh boy I wish, Kansas is a bit out of the way however. I have been thinking of finishing my degree in journalism and seeking a job with one of the few RC magazines we have available.

Old
  (#9)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

03.23.2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno911 View Post
Yes
Not really
Yes

I think I am at the point were I haven't truly found the RC I am 100% happy with. I would say it is my E-Revo but there is the two battery thing, and not to mention the release of the Summit.

A little about me to help with my rut.

I am 23 I have had at least one model grade RC since I was 15 before I could even drive a 1/1.

I quit my job and have been doing some soul searching the last month. I worked for UPS since age 16 with work credit in highschool. Finally decided that I wanted to work in a less stressful work environment. Unfortunately for me I chose the worst time to seek my soul. I got a gig working for my LHS at close to a third of the hourly wage I was accustomed to. Got fired in two weeks for putting the owner on the spot for a answer to something that was rather important to me, my wifes bday vacation weekend. I had only asked for a Friday off. I did enjoy working there though and it was something that besides the financial situation I could see myself doing.

Anyway I have spent the last 3 weeks unemployed and hating most things about this hellhole known as Reno NV. I only want to be a part of the thing I love and that is RC. I have been all around searching for a job related to something I enjoy. Finally I have decided that I want to at least be able to work in an office setting or somewhere where I don't have to continue to seek medical attention for my lower back.

Back to RCs I have been spending quite a bit with a few of them lately, since I spend a lot of time at home now, and have been getting to know a bit more about my RC personality and what it is I acquire from them. That is why I am in this little pickle, I have realized I want something that hasn't been made yet. In my head it resembles something along the lines of a true 1/10 scale Summit with a single battery tray, brushless, waterproof, durable, and can crawl with good articulation.

As you can see right now RCs are definitely something that brings me excitement and I want to continue in my search for that 100%.
Sounds like me. I got my older brother to bring me to the LHS to pic up my original Emaxx after its release. I started when I was 14, now 23 as well. I've had MULTIPLE cars and loss a bunch of money in the purchasing and reselling of cars to find something that suits me. After all said and done, I'm back to the MT scene with 2 converted LST's. I'm definitely thinking these will make me happy as they will employ nice equipment on a STURDY platform. Not to mention, people actually race this platform with few modifications.

Like you, I want to be able to do RC for a living, however, I don't have access to machining equipment and would hate to rival the Monster in the online segment, and ebay is flooded with chop shops anyways. Then I looked into finding a piece of property to open a small LHS and offroad track. However, seeing the there are 2 LHS's already and both have declined sales and are struggling, I quickly rejected this idea. And people around here won't like paying to use the track except on race days. So that idea is out the window.

So good thing I got my BS in Accounting, which I'm currently employed in and beginning to start my career and client base. The work isn't bad, pay is pretty good for now. So if these LST's don't satisfy my needs, thats where my girlfriend comes into play. But seriously, life is getting real for me and I have no choice but to stop spending ridiculously on RC for a while. A house doesn't buy itself...

Do you have a higher education to fall back on? Or if not, have you thought of obtaining a degree?

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#10)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

03.23.2010, 11:57 AM

So this is a crossroads? Sell a little stuff to fund a build... or choose a path and knuckle down for a while ( or at least until an rc with a halo comes out )

Old
  (#11)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

03.23.2010, 02:30 PM

Sounds to me like you need a kick in the ass to get yourself out of this funk you put yourself in. Sounds to me like your wife has every reason to put your butt on the short leash for a while. If she hasnt, be very appreciative of her.
For RC's, I'd keep your wifes Slash and your Revo. Sell the rest (50-60% of value), all the batteries that dont support those two, and start looking at either a Summit, or a cheaper option, an AX-10. Also, figure out why it is that you dont seem to get along with other RC'ers...and go make some friends/aquantinces to bash with.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#12)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.23.2010, 02:56 PM

At my pinnacle I had 79 rcs... Now I am down to 30 or so. Not counting the 8 boats. I have 2 airtronics m11 radios, so I have 60 model memories...

Old
  (#13)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless

03.23.2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
At my pinnacle I had 79 rcs... Now I am down to 30 or so. Not counting the 8 boats. I have 2 airtronics m11 radios, so I have 60 model memories...
Linc, I don't think people can fathom you abundance of RC's, not to mention the 2 toolboxes full of stuff...

N. Rustler conversion
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Old
  (#14)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

03.23.2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Now I am down to 30 or so.
Sheesh.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#15)
reno911

03.23.2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post
Sounds to me like you need a kick in the ass to get yourself out of this funk you put yourself in. Sounds to me like your wife has every reason to put your butt on the short leash for a while. If she hasnt, be very appreciative of her.
For RC's, I'd keep your wifes Slash and your Revo. Sell the rest (50-60% of value), all the batteries that dont support those two, and start looking at either a Summit, or a cheaper option, an AX-10. Also, figure out why it is that you dont seem to get along with other RC'ers...and go make some friends/aquantinces to bash with.
See that is why I like this place. You guys are generally nice people with generally good advice. I believe I have a Axial ax10 in my grasps soon. As for the rest of my models I am going to get rid of my E-Revo and my 8ight. I will be loosing the Castle combo from the slash 4x4 and going back to 2s. That way I can simplify the amount of batteries I have to maintain. Which will be a few 4s and then mostly 2s.

I have been looking for jobs, I am not one to just sit on my ass. My wife is even helping here and there in the search. Like I said earlier I enjoy the people here and it felt like a good place to let off some steam.