RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#46)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2006, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I forgot that one... :dft001: It just proves there are so many factors that an approximation is the closest you'll get.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#47)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

06.26.2006, 03:22 PM

I think instead of factoring in all of those...just factor in weight.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#48)
neweuser
RC Monster, the Final Frontier

06.26.2006, 03:33 PM

that was kinda my point...LOL

"if you've got something to say, say it peacefully"
  Send a message via MSN to neweuser  
Old
  (#49)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

06.26.2006, 05:50 PM

But what will factoring in the weight do for you? It would be almost near impossible to factor in the friction due to weight and air resistance as well.

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#50)
neweuser

06.26.2006, 05:56 PM

For me, personally? Not a thing, my speed gauge is basically how much it hurts when i hit my shins on high speed passes! OUCH, yeah, that was about 40 mph!!!!LOL

Old
  (#51)
MetalMan
RC-Monster Mod

06.26.2006, 06:01 PM

Ah, well in that case you could factor in weight - momentum is equal to the product of velocity and mass :005:

SH Z-Car, Custom Crawler, 8s Savage, 12s XTM XLB 1/7 buggy, 4wd 4-link rear/IFS Pro4 truck, Custom Hyper 10 Short Course, Belt-Drive Mammoth ST 1/8 truggy, 4s 17.5 MM Pro HPI Blitz

Old
  (#52)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2006, 06:18 PM

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be that our trucks go faster than the calculator would suggest (which I still think is related to the actual kv rating of the motor vs the published values). Any adjustments would only cause the top speed result to be slower.
Old
  (#53)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

06.26.2006, 06:36 PM

Well you figure if you put a lower gear on a truck the amp draw is less the voltage stays higher for the truck will run faster. Not only that but the motor has less of a load so the kv is little higher as well. It should not be for a exact figure but a rough one. The only true way is to get the motors at test them with a speed device. Every body and truck will have a different drag to it for how high the body sits or low as well as the type.

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

Old
  (#54)
skellyo
RC-Monster Brushless

06.26.2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
Unfortunately, the problem seems to be that our trucks go faster than the calculator would suggest (which I still think is related to the actual kv rating of the motor vs the published values). Any adjustments would only cause the top speed result to be slower.
I'd have to believe that either the battery voltage is staying higher than the input value or the motor constant is a bit higher than spec'd. That's the only thing that can account for higher speed than calculated. The thing is, going faster than the theoretical calculated value just isn't possible unless the user is incorrect in one of their input variables. I'd really like to know all the details of someone going faster than the calculated speed, especially if it's GPS verified.

Old
  (#55)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

06.26.2006, 07:07 PM

Well, I know for a fact that mine was at least 50 mph simply because my truck does 40 now and it was WAY faster with the XL3100 on 12 cells. A little speed comparo for ya. My truck right now has a 10XL on 14 cells. Its calculated at around 40 mph. My Revo, stock would run right with it. Almost exact same top speed. With the mods I've done, its around 45 mph and slightly faster than the E-Revo. Now, with the XL3100, it went FLYING by my highly modified nitro Revo (which came 40+ stock). It was doing 50 I know. It was almost impossible to control it in a straight line. Since it only says 39 mph, I know for a fact, it IS possible for it to go faster than the calculatos projected speed.

Last edited by squeeforever; 06.26.2006 at 07:08 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#56)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo
I'd have to believe that either the battery voltage is staying higher than the input value or the motor constant is a bit higher than spec'd. That's the only thing that can account for higher speed than calculated. The thing is, going faster than the theoretical calculated value just isn't possible unless the user is incorrect in one of their input variables. I'd really like to know all the details of someone going faster than the calculated speed, especially if it's GPS verified.

Well, AFAIK, Squee the one that seems the most inaccurate so far. This was what he was using.

EDIT: Squee posted his response before I got mine in...
Old
  (#57)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2006, 11:29 PM

Version 1.3, not much new, just added a few warnings; one of which is for the 40krpm motor limit.
Old
  (#58)
SpEEdyBL
"Out of spec" enthusiast

06.27.2006, 01:02 PM

Tire balooning is the most difficult factor to calculate that could easily increase your speed beyond the calculated value. This is especially true with small tires, which can get pretty tall!

Check out my custom converted 8ight:
Sub 7lb, lowest CG of any 1/8 buggy

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...894#post367894

Area 52 Ranch Raceway
T.R.C.R.

Old
  (#59)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.27.2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEEdyBL
Tire balooning is the most difficult factor to calculate that could easily increase your speed beyond the calculated value. This is especially true with small tires, which can get pretty tall!
It is pretty amazing how much just 1/4" will adjust speed. I have a warning set for ballooning values greater than 1/2", but thinking that maybe a percentage of the tire diameter may be a better choice. What do you think?
Old
  (#60)
neweuser

06.27.2006, 02:23 PM

i run 40 series and there is little ballooning, so for me, that would be better. But others? Not sure.