RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Tekin RX8 and Mugen Truggy Question.
Old
  (#1)
wade7575
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Tekin RX8 and Mugen Truggy Question. - 09.15.2014, 09:38 PM

I'm looking at getting into 1/8th scale and I have always wanted a Mugen 1/8th scale don't know why they just always seemed to be built really well.

What I was wondering is what are the Tekin Gen 2 RX8 ESC's like,I was thinking about getting an ESC Motor Combo.I'm not going to be racing but I wanted to get something that will run pretty fast but not un-controllable,I'd like to be able to pull wheelies without to much effect but not have some power it's stupid like some E-Maxx's I have seen that want to wheelie all the time and you barely touch the throttle.

Also should I run a 14.8 volt pack.

I was also wondering about tires for 1/8th scale does anyone other then Proline offer tires and if so are there any out there that offer a tire that will last along time and is more for backyard bashing or are there any other tires not meant for an 1/8th scale Truggy but can be used that will last longer.

Old
  (#2)
wade7575
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.15.2014, 10:07 PM

Also I'm not really looking to buy a Castle ESC I have had the MMM in all the version's they come in and they all went up in smoke and with the motors I was running in my E-Maxx Castle even said they gearing and motor and battery setup's were just fine and well with in spec,I must have been getting the dud's.

Also are there any other brands of 1/8th Scale Truggy's out there that are easy to get part's for and don't over price their part's and perform well,I have been into RC for 20 year's or so but have never had anything to do with 1/8th scale unless consider my E-Maxx,I just need some pointers and suggestion's.

Old
  (#3)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.16.2014, 08:34 AM

From what I've read the Mugen's are great truggies. I've been running my two truggies for a while now. One has a MMM with a Castle 1520 and the other has an RX8 with a Tekin 2000kv motor. Both are running on 5s.

The Tekin system is super smooth on start up and braking. It feels fast and it goes well but the MMM with the 1520 is just a beast. The Castle 1520 is also a larger motor and has more torque.

Another benefit to the new MMM is that it is waterproof and the Tekin isn't.

I've had very good luck with both of my truggies. I think any 1/8 Truggy from one of the larger RC companies is going to be good as long as they are still making parts for it.

Good luck,
Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#4)
wade7575
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.16.2014, 02:50 PM

When running 5S do you find your trucks want to wheelie all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
From what I've read the Mugen's are great truggies. I've been running my two truggies for a while now. One has a MMM with a Castle 1520 and the other has an RX8 with a Tekin 2000kv motor. Both are running on 5s.

The Tekin system is super smooth on start up and braking. It feels fast and it goes well but the MMM with the 1520 is just a beast. The Castle 1520 is also a larger motor and has more torque.

Another benefit to the new MMM is that it is waterproof and the Tekin isn't.

I've had very good luck with both of my truggies. I think any 1/8 Truggy from one of the larger RC companies is going to be good as long as they are still making parts for it.

Good luck,
Nick

Old
  (#5)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.16.2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade7575 View Post
When running 5S do you find your trucks want to wheelie all the time.
Hi Wade,

Well the D8T wheelies more than the Tamiya truggy due to the motor that's in my D8T. The 1520 motor that's in my D8T is a larger motor and has more power than the Tekin motor in the Tamiya truggy.

Running 5s doesn't mean your going to wheelie more than 4s. It depends on your setup. I pick to run 5s due to the KV of the motors. The 1520 motor is a 1800kv and the Tekin motor is a 2000kv. I also have a Tekin 1760kv motor that I would run on 5s also.

If I were running 6s on the 1520 motor I assume I would be popping more wheelies due to it having even more power than on 5s.

Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#6)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.16.2014, 03:17 PM

Wade take a look at this link. Make sure you click on the Truggy link.

http://www.teamtekin.com/t8.html

Input Voltage: 4S - 2250V / 2000kV

5S - 1700kV / 1550kV

6S - 1350kv

This is what Tekin recommends you use for each motor. This is more for racing than bashing. The lower the KV the more cells in the batter that you want to run. 4s = 2000kv 6s = 1350kv.

Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e

Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

09.18.2014, 02:33 PM

Keep in mind that more voltage equals less amp draw when both setups experience the same load.

So if you have 2 identical trucks setup to run the same the speed, the higher voltage truck will have less amp draw than the lower voltage setup.

Less amp draw generally equals cooler components. Especially the speed control, which will likely be the same for both setups.

Old
  (#8)
wade7575
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.18.2014, 10:33 PM

I knew that running 5S will help my stuff run cooler then on 4S and thanks for the advice,I know a fair bit about RC and although I have never built an 1/8th scale before I know that it will not pose any problems for me to build and I'am thinking of running 5S if I can find packs cheap enough and are of good guality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Keep in mind that more voltage equals less amp draw when both setups experience the same load.

So if you have 2 identical trucks setup to run the same the speed, the higher voltage truck will have less amp draw than the lower voltage setup.

Less amp draw generally equals cooler components. Especially the speed control, which will likely be the same for both setups.

Old
  (#9)
wade7575
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.18.2014, 10:42 PM

Has anyone run the HobbyWing 150 Amp ESC and is it any good,I don't think I'll be running one unless I have problems although time with the Tekin setup but it's always nice to know.

I think the 150 Amp Team Orion is the same as the HobbyWing 150 Amp ESC and the same with the Hacker 150 Amp ESC.

I'd like to hear from a bunch about this ESC and if it's any good.