Noob
Old
  (#16)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Noob - 09.23.2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanda3310 View Post
I love your philosophy. This would lead on to kitting up - solder station, heat gun, dremel, an erray of small tools.... come to think of it, $11.99 don't seem so bad if you haven't got the gear. So I guess you could say it's not cheap for the noob
Yes I guess you could spend a few more bucks doing it my way up front. Getting everything done for you is exactly whats wrong with our country today. TOO may people do not want or know how to do anything for themselves. Thats why other countries call us lazy fat slobs. Thats why we are importing billions of dollars of junk from China and other countries giving our money away making others rich, while we waste away to nothing as a nation. Thats why when one goes for a job interview but does not get the job, and cannot figure out why. It is because the employers can see how useless some people really are. What makes one valuable in the world is just how much he or she can do for others and for themselves. Just my thougths on the matter. I love being able to do just about anything I need to in order to not have to rely on others to get my work done for me or spend a lot mor money than I actually need to. I love being able to help out others in learning how to do for themselves. Thats my self gratification.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#17)
maxair45
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

09.23.2009, 06:27 PM

I personally love doing these things myself(expecially soldering). I love the self satisfaction I get knowing I made it with my hands and I also get the peace of mind knowing who made it and that it'll stay together. Even if it did cost a bit more for me to do t myself i'd go that route because you don't know who made it and their workman ship.

my .02

Old
  (#18)
eovnu87435ds
A 16yr old with a combover

09.23.2009, 06:29 PM

You could look at it the other way, and see it as paying $12 for the insurance, knowing you did not end up soldering one dean backwards and causing a dead speed controller. And for someone who needs to do so at a race track, and doesnt have the access to a soldering iron, it could very well be a lifesaver

Hyper 7
BARBIE JEEP!!
CRT.5
TC4
RC18B
I will fix your red-ringed xbox 360!
  Send a message via AIM to eovnu87435ds  
Or
Old
  (#19)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Or - 09.24.2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
You could look at it the other way, and see it as paying $12 for the insurance, knowing you did not end up soldering one dean backwards and causing a dead speed controller. And for someone who needs to do so at a race track, and doesnt have the access to a soldering iron, it could very well be a lifesaver
Or you could very well use one that you bought on line and do exactly the same thing, only with no recourse once the ESC is fried, because there is no way any of the R/C sales businesses is going to admit that kind of mistake on their part, and I have seen it happen. Beside working on R/C is just like being a carpenter. Measure twice, cut once. Thats why if you are smart you check and doublecheck your own work to make sure you did it right. I've made TRX series and parallel harnesses myself, and have never seen them before, but what I have made is top quality and I know they will last. Lets be honest here this stuff is not rocket science. R/C is pretty basic engineering.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#20)
BL_RV0
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

09.24.2009, 09:34 AM

I think for most of us, we've soldered enough to know that horizontal is - and vertical is +.

Get me back into RC!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BL_RV0 Send a message via AIM to BL_RV0 Send a message via MSN to BL_RV0  
Old
  (#21)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

09.24.2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxair45 View Post
I personally love doing these things myself(expecially soldering). I love the self satisfaction I get knowing I made it with my hands and I also get the peace of mind knowing who made it and that it'll stay together. Even if it did cost a bit more for me to do t myself i'd go that route because you don't know who made it and their workman ship.

my .02
+1K
Even if it cost a few bucks more in the long run, I'd much rather do everything I can myself . I get a lot of self satisfaction and the confidence knowinhg it's done correctly and to my exact specs. When somthing goes wrong there's no one to blame but myself and I'm not at anyones mercy waiting on pins and needles for a replacement or a reply email from Co's.
There are a lot of things I have no choice but to inquire about or purchase but what I can myself is very rewarding, that makes it all worth to me.

My .02

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#22)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

09.24.2009, 11:47 AM

This is a good example of the phrase "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime". Sure, it's easier to have it done for you, and protects you from doing something wrong. But it would be far better in the long run to learn to do it yourself.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#23)
rootar
RC-Monster Titanium

09.24.2009, 01:09 PM

btw i thought we were just talking about the price being alot, i build all my own plugs and harnesses and almost everyones at our local track, along with doing almost everyones wiring on all their setups....

i dont think ive been to the track not 1 single time this year without atleast soldering 3 plugs for others....

Old
  (#24)
magman

09.24.2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootar View Post
i build all my own plugs and harnesses and almost everyones at our local track, along with doing almost everyones wiring on all their setups....
+1...I seem to a lot of my friends soldering as well...esp. 10 gauge wire to deans plugs!

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#25)
BL_RV0

09.26.2009, 10:16 AM

Yeah... kind of unrelated, but my friend called me after school, "Hey, I need you to wire all of my airsoft guns, batteries and chargers to deans, and I need you to come to the hobby shop and tell me which ones I need to buy." I thought, well I did tell him to convert to deans... but at the same time, I told him this when he had about 3 guns and 4 batteries and 1 charger. I must have soldered 60 deans last night.

Get me back into RC!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BL_RV0 Send a message via AIM to BL_RV0 Send a message via MSN to BL_RV0