RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > General Electric

 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
My Tamiya TT-02
Old
  (#1)
nitrostarter
RC-Monster Brushless
 
nitrostarter's Avatar
 
Offline
Posts: 3,156
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gramercy, LA
My Tamiya TT-02 - 07.10.2017, 12:33 PM

Well Lincpimp's Tamiya M cars got my wheels spinning since the kits are cheap. So I started looking at the different models of Tamiya kits, exploring the different features and bodies. I knew I would want 4WD and shaft driven to start so I ended up zoning in on the TT-02 models. They offer the TT02, TT02D for drift, TT02S, and TT02R with different levels of upgrades and +/- a body.

I landed on the base model TT02 with a Mercedes Benz GT3 body. I really like the GT3 lines and looks.



Tower got the kit to me in 2 days time and I began to assemble shortly after. The parts trees are pretty well labeled and segmented by area making the parts pretty easy to find when needed. The bags of screws weren't as nicely labeled so it took a minute to sort thru them and make sure I knew which were which as needed by the instruction manual.
The instructions themselves are ok at best. They're very cluttered as it incorporates every language on the same page instead of separate instruction sets in different languages. They also list certain parts and screws on the side then put other parts needed in the illustrations. I missed a part or two because of this but its easy to go back and knock it out.

In no time, I had the diffs assembled and installed in the chassis tub with a-arms, hubs and motor installed. This was accomplished in roughly 2 hours time with no rush and a 3yr begging to go out in the rain.
I did opt for a bearing kit from Fast Eddy's for $15 versus buying the bearings separately. This definitely helped for a smooth drivetrain in the finished product.
My plan for now is to run the "Torque Tuned" motor until otherwise needed. I'm trying to keep it tamed for now to help my 3yr son learn to drive.




The next morning was installing the shocks, steering components, body mounts and electronics, which didn't take long at all. I soldered on new battery connections and charged up a 2s back and was good to go.




Time for a quick test drive. Man it's fun! The ESC/motor combo easily powers this car pretty quickly and can power into a drift nicely even without drift tires. Stock ESC brakes aren't too strong in brushed mode tho. Brushless mode has adjustable brake power and drag brake so I may swap to a 17.5T just for the brake adjustment. The car powers into a drift/donut easily one way but not the other way, thinking that's torque limiting. Stock setup does have some understeer so I'll see if I can fix that to turn in harder. Thinking of a ball diff for the front and maybe locking up the rear diff. For roughly $100, these kits are pretty great. Sensored capable esc, great bodies, easy to assemble. Overall this car is good, cheap fun and I'm looking forward to another.


Next up is tackling the body. My boy's favorite color is green so the car will be some variation of green. Not my first choice but hey!


N. Rustler conversion

Last edited by nitrostarter; 07.10.2017 at 01:08 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to nitrostarter  
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



RC Monster




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com