RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > Customer Testimonials and Feedback

Shipping Costs to UK
Old
  (#1)
Revorocks
RC-Monster Stock

Shipping Costs to UK - 01.08.2012, 12:47 PM

Now, before I start please don't treat this as a rant. I don't sell RC components overseas and have no idea of the cost. I'm simply going by other sellers prices on eBay and other shops such as Liquid RC.

Now, in the UK, I know many people like RC Monster products, you make great stuff.

However, there is one major thing which puts us off, and that is the extortionate shipping costs!

On most of the items the shipping will cost more than the order. It really puts me off buying from here. Is there a reason they are so high?
If so then why can sites like Liquid RC offer 1$ global shipping, or eBay sellers c charge $5 or so.

I want to order a pinion, and two drive cups, yet it costs $25 + $28 in shipping which is very off-putting.

If your shipping prices where lower and more reasonable, I can pretty much guarantee you would receive far more orders, especially from the UK.

Again, I'm not having a go, I'm just after some sort of justification for the costs...

Thanks,

Mark

Old
  (#2)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

01.08.2012, 05:25 PM

Mike only ships priority with tracking or UPS - Too many lost or orders where people have said the goods dont arrive and expect mike to eat it.

He'll ship cheaper if you are willing to accept shipping risk.

Old
  (#3)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.08.2012, 05:43 PM

I've bought from Mike a couple of times, and if I recall right he used tracked and insured Fed Ex both times, which is a good thing from both view points on the insurance (I know some sellers do but I certainly wouldn't sell anything untracked or uninsured as it leaves you open to unscrupulous people ripping you off), and I expect they pick up orders form Mikes house/workshop daily giving him more time to make the goodies that we want. Despite Fed Ex being a nice fast service the tracking doesn't seem to work well with the UK post office both were tracked into UK customs but stayed there on the tracker after I got a note through the door and didn't change till after I had picked them up from the airport.

I think some of the high price is paying for the Fed Ex service which just doesn't work over here USPS is much better for me, maybe cheaper too, I could have certainly bought similar packing and sent the same weight and size insured tracked and insured for 100 to Mike for little over 10 via royal mail, but its also a 10 minute walk down to the post office and if I charged him my hourly rate for walking down there or driving and parking fees it would not be far short of $28.

Unless the item is marked as a low value gift we will have to pay import duty on it too and as Mike is selling things it would be illegal for him to state that, and as he is selling lots of things, its very likely that someone would figure it out and catch him, so if the value is over the threshold you will have to pay customs duty (around 10%) $2.5 in your case, which is no big deal, however parcelforce will pay this for you and you pay them when you pick the parcel up from them and charge you about 14 admin fee for doing so.

While I like the stuff that Mike makes, would like to support him by buying the stuff he sells, and understand why it is so expensive to get it to me, it is just not financially viable to do so, as you can see from the above example of $25 parts cost + $28 postage + $2.5 customs + $21.5 admin fee = $77 + a trip to the post office for a pinion and 2x drive cups. because of this if I can source it over here, or make it myself I will do so. This is not Just for Mike but the same goes for any relatively cheap product from USA.

edit: arct1c posted that it's UPS that Mike uses not Fed Ex while I was typing, either I am mistaking him using Fed Ex for OSE, or he has changed couriers (a welcome change if that is the case), I think it's the latter as I don't recall ever getting anything via UPS, either way my complaint about Fed Ex tracking not working in the UK is invalid, but my main point of the price of ordering from USA remains.

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Last edited by nativepaul; 01.08.2012 at 05:54 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Revorocks
RC-Monster Stock

01.08.2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
Mike only ships priority with tracking or UPS - Too many lost or orders where people have said the goods dont arrive and expect mike to eat it.

He'll ship cheaper if you are willing to accept shipping risk.
Well that's fair enough then. I would never sell something untracked unless it's a cheap item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativepaul View Post
I've bought from Mike a couple of times, and if I recall right he used tracked and insured Fed Ex both times, which is a good thing from both view points on the insurance (I know some sellers do but I certainly wouldn't sell anything untracked or uninsured as it leaves you open to unscrupulous people ripping you off), and I expect they pick up orders form Mikes house/workshop daily giving him more time to make the goodies that we want. Despite Fed Ex being a nice fast service the tracking doesn't seem to work well with the UK post office both were tracked into UK customs but stayed there on the tracker after I got a note through the door and didn't change till after I had picked them up from the airport.

I think some of the high price is paying for the Fed Ex service which just doesn't work over here USPS is much better for me, maybe cheaper too, I could have certainly bought similar packing and sent the same weight and size insured tracked and insured for 100 to Mike for little over 10 via royal mail, but its also a 10 minute walk down to the post office and if I charged him my hourly rate for walking down there or driving and parking fees it would not be far short of $28.

Unless the item is marked as a low value gift we will have to pay import duty on it too and as Mike is selling things it would be illegal for him to state that, and as he is selling lots of things, its very likely that someone would figure it out and catch him, so if the value is over the threshold you will have to pay customs duty (around 10%) $2.5 in your case, which is no big deal, however parcelforce will pay this for you and you pay them when you pick the parcel up from them and charge you about 14 admin fee for doing so.

While I like the stuff that Mike makes, would like to support him by buying the stuff he sells, and understand why it is so expensive to get it to me, it is just not financially viable to do so, as you can see from the above example of $25 parts cost + $28 postage + $2.5 customs + $21.5 admin fee = $77 + a trip to the post office for a pinion and 2x drive cups. because of this if I can source it over here, or make it myself I will do so. This is not Just for Mike but the same goes for any relatively cheap product from USA.

edit: arct1c posted that it's UPS that Mike uses not Fed Ex while I was typing, either I am mistaking him using Fed Ex for OSE, or he has changed couriers (a welcome change if that is the case), I think it's the latter as I don't recall ever getting anything via UPS, either way my complaint about Fed Ex tracking not working in the UK is invalid, but my main point of the price of ordering from USA remains.

You've summarized what I was getting at with the cost. It's such a bummer as Mike makes such great stuff, a lot of it can't be found anywhere else so there isn't always an alternative.

I guess if I am going to do an order, maybe it's best to do a group order on a forum to share the shipping and import duty costs.

Funny, you're in Sussex too, where abouts? I'm in Hove

E-Revo Brushless MMM + Neu 1515 5S
Hyper 7e MMM + Neu 1717 6S Speed Project

Old
  (#5)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.09.2012, 12:41 AM

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here.

I basically refuse to ship anything I sell international because no one wants to pay the cost required for trackable shipping (which is a requirement to avoid chargebacks for the only payment verhicle I can use: PayPal). When I wanted to ship a Transponder to MRT for cloning I found the only way I could insure it via USPS was to use a high cost shipping method: $33 for one ounce to England. Other carriers were even more expensive.

Sure there are eBay and other sellers that offer inexpensive international shipping. They make up on volume the losses in the mail or from fraud. I don't sell enough to do that and I'm guessing Mike doesn't either.

If you are willing to take the risk of losing a non-tracked package there is a solution I would offer for things I sell: send me $US cash via the mail, and I'll send the item via economical [a.k.a. untracked] shipping. So far. one person has taken me up on this, about 8 years ago, when eBay was a kinder, gentler place. Actually, it was a buyer that suggested it when I said I didn't want to ship to England.

So if you trust the mail, and trust Mike, that might be a possibility. Of course I don't know whether Mike would agree to that, but maybe it is an option to consider.

Old
  (#6)
Revorocks
RC-Monster Stock

01.09.2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here.

I basically refuse to ship anything I sell international because no one wants to pay the cost required for trackable shipping (which is a requirement to avoid chargebacks for the only payment verhicle I can use: PayPal). When I wanted to ship a Transponder to MRT for cloning I found the only way I could insure it via USPS was to use a high cost shipping method: $33 for one ounce to England. Other carriers were even more expensive.

Sure there are eBay and other sellers that offer inexpensive international shipping. They make up on volume the losses in the mail or from fraud. I don't sell enough to do that and I'm guessing Mike doesn't either.

If you are willing to take the risk of losing a non-tracked package there is a solution I would offer for things I sell: send me $US cash via the mail, and I'll send the item via economical [a.k.a. untracked] shipping. So far. one person has taken me up on this, about 8 years ago, when eBay was a kinder, gentler place. Actually, it was a buyer that suggested it when I said I didn't want to ship to England.

So if you trust the mail, and trust Mike, that might be a possibility. Of course I don't know whether Mike would agree to that, but maybe it is an option to consider.
I certainly WOULDN'T trust the mail these days, the number of horror stories out there is bad to say the least.

E-Revo Brushless MMM + Neu 1515 5S
Hyper 7e MMM + Neu 1717 6S Speed Project

Old
  (#7)
K1RC
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.09.2012, 02:05 PM

I have this problem too and it infuriates me When I finally find a good deal on some parts I want, I look at the postage cost and it often excels the price of the product I understand the reasons its just a pain to say the least!

Old
  (#8)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

01.09.2012, 04:20 PM

As others have graciously pointed out....it simply costs that much to send a traceable, insurable package overseas. Years ago, I offered 1st class mail - after losing thousands of dollars for the reasons mentioned above, I started offering only shipping methods that I can track and insure. I surely have lost sales due to this. I know it and hate as much as the angry would-be buyer that gawks at the shipping cost that exceeds the item price and chooses not to buy.

If there was some way to get an automated signature waiving recourse in the event of a lost package and a way to only offer it for orders up to a certain dollar value, I would surely offer 1st class Mail through the site for smaller orders. If I offer 1st class Mail, everyone chooses it - even when ordering a couple hundred dollars worth of goods.

The buyer just wants to save money(understandable) and doesn't have to assume the risk of a lost package because if it doesn't arrive, they simply put the loss of on the seller(either Paypal dispute or deny purchase from credit provider, etc.). As a seller, I have to prove delivery in the event of a dispute, so I only ship by methods that allow me to do this.

Having said all that, I do occasionally make exceptions for small orders(like a few pinion gears, etc.) - these exceptions are arranged through email with the understanding that a 1st class Mail package will not have tracking and there is no recourse for a lost package. A gentleman's agreement, if you will.

Old
  (#9)
bumsnogger
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.10.2012, 08:12 AM

Hi.I was trying to sell my 3.3 maxx. A guy in the USA said he'd have it,until i told him the postage was gonna be 174.99 :(