RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Novak

Newer hv-maxx-esque options
Old
  (#1)
mwe-maxxowner
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Newer hv-maxx-esque options - 11.25.2013, 09:55 PM

I wired my hvmaxx up for singe battery operation, installed a ubec, and soldered on my original HV 4400 motor that had a 6.5 rotor in it. I installed this system in my slash 4x4 which runs 2.8 badlands. Very fast on 3s, and smooth as silk.

Today I ran 4s on it, and after just a few minutes the bearing in the non shaft side of the motor came apart. It ran fine, then coasted to a stop. I unplugged the battery and replugged it and it was fine. Drove a few feet then did it again. Got another half lap. After a few times it no longer came on.

Taking the stuff out to check the wiring and I twisted the motor shaft. That's when I noticed it would bind a little once in a while, so I pulled the caps to check the rotor. No bearing pieces got into the motor, so I think with a new bearing it will be fine.

I think this was just a freak occurrence. The motor was about 70 degrees, and hadn't been pushed yet. I ran a 6.5 in this setup too on 3 and 4s and it was fine until I broke the pinion shaft.

I loved the performance of this 4400 and the 6.5 on the hvmaxx esc. It had power, it ran cool, and it was smooth as silk. What options are available today that are similar to the hvmaxx (can run 4s in a big vehicle).

Is there a Novak 550 motor available now similar to the hv4400? When i installed the 6.5 rotor, I don't know if it changed the kV rating or not. Either way I liked how it performed. If it was still 4400kv after the rotor change, I'd like to get something similar again.

I'm going to try to put a new bearing in the motor I have and use it with a newer version of the esc.

I see the diablo, and I think I like it, but I just wondered if they have an esc that is 4s capable on one pack with no modification.

Brushless-taking back rc!
E-revo is DONE!
  Send a message via AIM to mwe-maxxowner  
Old
  (#2)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

11.25.2013, 10:20 PM

ta da...

http://teamnovak.com/products/index....ev8bk8mdm68ob2

Old
  (#3)
mwe-maxxowner
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.25.2013, 10:50 PM

It says it's only 2s lipo capable though. I'm looking for a motor/esc I can run on 3and 4s. I run 2.8 badlands and bigger so I need something to handle the bigger setup. This HV maxx fit the bill perfectly until today.

Just ran it through the gearing calculator, and geared how I currently am on 2s it would do 50. If it would do that without overheating that would be sufficient.

Do they have a 4s capable single batteried esc that can handle a 5" tire in a 4wd geared for 50 coolly? I got great speed and torque out of my 6.5 and 5500.

E-revo is DONE!

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 11.25.2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old
  (#4)
MonsterMaxx
Owner of Unlimited Engineering

11.26.2013, 10:38 AM

The Tekin RX8 with a 2050 will run 4s nicely. Tekin has a wide range of KV motors in the T8 class.

In my racetruck I run a Tekin RX8V2 and a 1350 in my High Voltage Lightning SuperMaxx
In a truck I call 'The Beast' there's a RX8 and a Castle 1717. This thing is off the chain fast.
In the truck we call 'stocker' (because it uses stock Maxx like bulkheads) I'm running the Castle 1520 and this thing is stupid fast too.
These all run 6s.
My racing friend Eric runs 4s on the above Tekin RX8V2 and the T8 2050. He's faster on the racetrack than I am, but he's a much better driver.

Last edited by Arct1k; 11.26.2013 at 12:00 PM.

Old
  (#5)
mwe-maxxowner
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.26.2013, 12:35 PM

I was looking at the rx8 yesterday. It's awesome! But expensive :(? Tower does have it on easy pay...

I was looking to run something like a 550 4000 is kV motor. The HV 4400 for me was sweet on 3s. I'm looking to stay at 3s and 4s for weight savings. The HV 4400 geared 54/16 for me was a good balance of speed and torque and stayed cool.

I noticed a 4000kv 550 tekin motor. But again...$$$. I think this HV 4400 is salvageable with a new bearing, and I know my 6.5 would be fine if I put this rotor back in it. So at the moment I just need an esc.

I was actually looking at the hobbyking 120a sensored esc. Dunno if I'm permitted to say that here... Lol.

The following is a copy of a post elsewhere, and is hard to edit on my phone, but it pertains to this subject:

Yes sir I have. It was on the backside of the motor though, which is enclosed by a plastic cap and is sealed. It wasn't dirty. I think it was due to he motor being so old and sitting for years. Perhaps the bearing dried out, and the extra rpms of one more cell finished it off?

I have read up on the MMP. I wish they made a sensored capable mamba monster. I was drooling over tekin lasf night ^_^

How will the MMP do in a big truck on 3s? I dont mind running an external bec to cool it down some. I'd really like to run 4s sometimes, and I know I've heard that is dangerous on the MMP in a larger 4wd.

My xo1 esc and a 2400 will find their way into this truck, but I want to be able to use the novak motor in the slash I buy for track use in the future, or in my rusty which I also drive mostly on a track.

I was considering the losi MMP since it can be cheaper, but it is only rated 4s.

I'm not too bummed about it. The system was cheap and long since paid for. It really did work out nicely for me though. I wish you could still buy it. I have been looking at the diablo esc. It is set up for 2x 2s, so I'd have to rewire it also. I have been told that even though I was running an external bec, I could have burned up the internal bec, since the bec was designed to run off of one pack in dual battery configuration. I have my theory as to why the esc quit, especially since it would cut off, and I could unplug it and start over a few times. But, who knows?? If it was due to 4s overloading the internal bec I'd hate to spend more money on a new one and do the same thing.

E-revo is DONE!
Old
  (#6)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

12.03.2013, 08:44 PM

Hobbwing SCT Pro for $90.

Runs sensored motors and up to 4S with a switching BEC, so in most situations, no need for an external BEC.

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...t-pro-esc-blue

Old
  (#7)
suicideneil
Old Skool

12.28.2013, 03:37 PM

Look on ebay for the Hobbywing systems- they have 80, 120 & 150amp esc models with motors in the 2000-2700kv range ( anything 39-42mm x 65-74mm will be fine size wise ).

They will blow your old hvmaxx system out of the water and perform much better; I too had the old hv4400 system, upgraded to the sintered rotor, but it just pales compared to a real 1:8 scale system. Not sure what your budget is, but if you can't stretch to the cost of a Mamba Monster 2 system ( ~$300 ), then it's the best alternative really...