RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Castle Creations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
slimthelineman
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.23.2010, 04:51 PM

My guess is the 1410 on 3s might pull too much current on the sc controller. Just a guess
sounds interesting though as I have not tried 3s on the 4600 yet. I'm sure the mmpro can handle it but I didn't even think about switching speed.

Last edited by slimthelineman; 10.23.2010 at 04:53 PM.

Old
  (#17)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.23.2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimthelineman View Post
My guess is the 1410 on 3s might pull too much current on the sc controller. Just a guess
sounds interesting though as I have not tried 3s on the 4600 yet. I'm sure the mmpro can handle it but I didn't even think about switching speed.
I understand the 1410 on 3S might be beyond what the Sidewinder SC can handle - that's why I asked abouit using with MMP or Monster. I didn't think about switching speed until later, by which time Ferret had already posted his reply. The 1410 4 pole on 3S would need a switching speed equivalent to that required by an 11,400KV 2 pole motor on 2S. That's up to 96K RPM on the 2 pole motor with 2S.

Last edited by ta_man; 10.23.2010 at 05:00 PM.

Old
  (#18)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

10.23.2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I understand the 1410 on 3S might be beyond what the Sidewinder SC can handle - that's why I asked abouit using with MMP or Monster. I didn't think about switching speed until later, by which time Ferret had already posted his reply. The 1410 4 pole on 3S would need a switching speed equivalent to that required by an 11,400KV 2 pole motor on 2S. That's up to 96K RPM on the 2 pole motor with 2S.
We don't recommend 3s because if we did, everyone with a 4wd SC truck would immediately try it... And that motor isn't appropriate for 3s in a 4wd SCT truck.

Both the motor and controller are 3s capable, in the right application... But not in a 4wd SCT truck.

Patrick del Castillo
President, Principle Engineer
Castle Creations

Old
  (#19)
KniteWulfe
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

10.24.2010, 12:42 AM

I heard from an inside source the sidewinder sc esc is actually closer in capability to the original mamba max. Is this true? What kind of power handling are we looking at?

Old
  (#20)
plumslow
RC-Monster Stock

10.24.2010, 06:15 PM

What is the BEC output voltage for the sidewinder ESC?

Old
  (#21)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

10.25.2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumslow View Post
What is the BEC output voltage for the sidewinder ESC?
It's a 5V BEC, just like the original Sidewinder.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#22)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

10.25.2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniteWulfe View Post
I heard from an inside source the sidewinder sc esc is actually closer in capability to the original mamba max. Is this true? What kind of power handling are we looking at?
Yes, the power handling on the Sidewinder SCT is close to the original Mamba Max.

It's quite robust.

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#23)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

10.25.2010, 10:00 PM

Patrick, I have a 3+year old mamba max setup with a 4600kv CM 36 motor, I am planning to get a 4600kv 1406 and a 1410/3800kv for running in a stadium truck (associated T4). If i wanted to save money, I could just get the motors. Is there anything in the design of the sc sidewinder that the mamba max is missing? Would it perform better my mamba max? Just wondering if i really need to replace the esc, to get the most out of the motors. Thanks for any info

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Last edited by crazyjr; 10.26.2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old
  (#24)
T-birdJunkie
RC-Monster Stock

10.26.2010, 01:42 AM

So is the new motor going to be available separately along with the speed controls and combos hitting the shelves, or are they coming later?

Definitely want the motor for the SC10...may as well get the combo though at $110 and put the speedo in the buggy too though. HRMM.

Old
  (#25)
Pdelcast
RC-Monster Titanium

10.26.2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr View Post
Patrick, I have a 3+year old mamba max setup with a 4600kv CM 36 motor, I am planning to get a 4600kv 1406 and a 1410/3800kv for running in a stadium truck (associated T4). If i wanted to save money, I could just get the motors. Is there anything in the design of the sc sidewinder that the mamba max is missing? Would it perform better my mamba max? Just wondering if i really need to replace the esc, to get the most out of the motors. Thanks for any info
The MM is a great controller - - power handling of the SCT is close, but not quite the same as the MM. The MM has higher burst capacity than the SCT, but the SCT has a better thermal design than the MM.

I'd stick with the MM and save the money. Then get an SCT later if you want a less expensive option to the MMP.

Thanx!

Patrick del Castillo
Castle Creations

Old
  (#26)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

10.26.2010, 09:06 PM

Patrick any ETA on just the motors and a guestimate on street price - Cheers

Old
  (#27)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

10.27.2010, 05:20 AM

Thanks Patrick, i didn't see anything different, even the BEC is the same type. Glad i don't need the SC to fully use the new motors

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#28)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

10.27.2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelcast View Post
It's a 5V BEC, just like the original Sidewinder.
come one patric, you need to start putting a good adjustable bec into all of the new esc's, we would all be more than happy to pay the little bit extra it would cost

5a bec's are great for stock traxxas servos but alot of us run servos that need much more and haveing to ad an external bec to everything we run just makes our wireing look unclean and makes it harder to pass inspections at the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Got one!
Old
  (#29)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Got one! - 10.27.2010, 05:17 PM

My Sidewinder SCT arrived. It is raining here today so I will have to wait to try it. Got some pics.

Nice packaging:

Without the foam:

Just the motor: 4 Pole for more torque. "Fins" are not really fins but grooves in the motor can:

Blower fits nice, came with zip ties to hold it on:

Just the ESC - a nice label:

And shows as 3S capable in the right application:

Last but not least, the expected warning at the bottom of the instruction sheet:

"This product may contain chemicals known to the state of Califiornia to cause cancer and or birth defects or other reproductive harm. Do not eat this product, it doesn't taste good."

Old
  (#30)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

10.27.2010, 05:30 PM

where did you get it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!