lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

Interesting mod for spektrum transmitters - 03.03.2011, 10:07 PM

Found this while I was surfing around:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ektrum_mod.htm

And this one:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Doub...dio-from-Spek/

They use this part: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW033.htm

I plan to do the mod to my dx6, but wondered if it would work on my new flysky radio. Since it uses 8 aas it must have a similar step down reg, and a switching reg would help?

I am not really good at this stuff, but I can post pics of the flysky internals and one of our EE member or someone who knows this stuff could school me, possibly?

Old
  (#2)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

03.03.2011, 11:07 PM

Hey that's pretty slick! Does DE make those regulators for that purpose, or is it just coincidence that it fits perfectly? I'll have to open up my DX3 and see if I can mod that.

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#3)
aqwut
Brushless Heavy Weight....

03.03.2011, 11:37 PM

Awesome link Linc...
I'll have to do this to my DX7SE..

The Power of BRUSHLESS!!!!!
http://www.geocities.com/aqwut
1HP (electric) = 746 Watts.
Everything is brushless!!

Old
  (#4)
lucias
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.04.2011, 12:12 AM

I need this for a DX3S.. it eats batteries

Old
  (#5)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.04.2011, 12:15 AM

Yeah, DE are a pretty cool company. I plan to oder one and mod my dx6 as I would like to keep using the nimh rechargeables, as I have 2 and it is an odd sized battery tray.

I have no idea why they went with high voltage like this, must be to run the lcd screen? Seems like the 2.4 stuff runs on 3v or so, so the higher voltage must be to power the lcd, what else in in a radio? I know the dx3r and s and some of the other 2.4tx like the traxxas only use 4 aas, but they are newer tech...

As far as fit, the original reg is a pretty std form part, so I am guessing DE made theirs to match up so it could be used in as many apps as possible (for more sales, of course)

Old
  (#6)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.04.2011, 12:16 AM

Hey guys, since we have interest her, lets take our radios apart and post up some good hi-res pics. I can solder and do not mind modding stuff, but lack the knowledge/experience to figure out some stuff. I know we have some members here with EE backgrounds and just some plain smart people (like BG, for example).

Old
  (#7)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.04.2011, 12:19 AM

Post 168 and 169 on this page has some info: http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...mitter-12.html

Old
  (#8)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

03.04.2011, 12:56 AM

I did this mod to my dx 6 about a year ago - You just have to be vary carful when removing the prongs from the old unit - Well easy to rip the pad off of the board in error.

Old
  (#9)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.04.2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
I did this mod to my dx 6 about a year ago - You just have to be vary carful when removing the prongs from the old unit - Well easy to rip the pad off of the board in error.
Good info Chris. I will be extra careful. Have you been happy with the mod? What battery do you use in your dx6??

Also, since I am sure you have run a car esc with your dx6, is there anything I should know before I try to get a MM working with it? DO I have to set the trims/expo/etc weird on the channel I plan to use a throttle?

Old
  (#10)
whitrzac
Can't catch this...

03.04.2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
in my limited experience, its usually cheaper/safer to cut the prongs and desolder them individually...

Old
  (#11)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

03.04.2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Good info Chris. I will be extra careful. Have you been happy with the mod? What battery do you use in your dx6??

Also, since I am sure you have run a car esc with your dx6, is there anything I should know before I try to get a MM working with it? DO I have to set the trims/expo/etc weird on the channel I plan to use a throttle?
I use a 2000mah 3s lipo which seems to last for many weeks / months before I need to charge it.

Although I really only use this on my super crawler.

I did the throttle retun mod using a spare cheap 4 chan FM stick TX I had which used exactly the same case / parts.

You can also send the radio to Spektrum and them will do the throttle return mod for free.

Beyond that no changes were required. If you put the throttle on the right stick you'd no need to do anything.

Old
  (#12)
TexasSP
Something, anything, nothing

03.04.2011, 11:09 AM

There is also a guy on rccrawler.com named losikid that sells some backlight kits and what not for spektrum. A friend has done it on his DX3R and it turned out really nice.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293912

www.cubicle101.com
A friends comic strip website.

Old
  (#13)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.04.2011, 12:22 PM

The regulator replacement looks like a pretty straightforward and simple mod to do. Although, since the existing regulator can't be producing much heat due to how it's mounted/cooled, I wonder exactly how much of a benefit it provides? Going from a linear regulator to switching only makes sense if the combination of voltage differential X current is more than the losses (~15%) from any switching regulator. Doubling the battery runtime means that the existing linear regulator must be losing quite a bit of energy as heat, and I would think that would be noticeable in such a small area.

On a side note, the DE device is pretty sweet. It has the same pinout as your typical LM78xx series linear regulators so they are drop-in replacements. Current rating, drop out voltage, and voltage differential ratings are pretty close between the linear and switching counterparts too.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#14)
noir522
RC-Monster Stock

03.04.2011, 05:27 PM

since we are talking spekkys does anyone know any tricks to increase the range?

I have seen guys re-wire the anntannae to get longer reception.

theres also Brian G's dx3r batt modd

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13118