Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Team Tekin

which motor?
Old
  (#1)
revo madnesss
RC-Monster Stock

which motor? - 01.31.2011, 06:24 PM

hello,

i have been searching for hours on end for a setup for my hhh converted buggy for bashing with no avail. im looking for a motor which will reach around 65mph on 6s or 4s if possible . since im not going to be racing and just bashing i reckon the temperatures will be lower as the motor will not be used to much as brakes and the throttle will be more continuous.

thanks for your help

Old
  (#2)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

01.31.2011, 07:42 PM

To reach 65 you will definitely be needing 6s to keep your amp draw lower. A CC/Neu 1515 1y 2200kv motor would be a good choice, for that mattet the Mamba Monster 2200 combo is prolly your best bet. It's one of the most reliable setups out there and one of the cheaper setups you can run short of going with hobbyking stuff that won't have squat for a warranty. This combo has pushed ~15Lb Monster Trucks to 60+ Keep in mind though with gearing for those speeds your going to need to stick to smooth surfaces, stay out of the grass. Driving through grass puts a ton of extra load on a setup and is an easy way to burn something up if you don't have the right setup

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#3)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

01.31.2011, 09:20 PM

I would go with the cc 2200/mmm combo on 6s. You might get 65 out of the 2650 motor and 4s but you will need some good lipos and the motor will get hot. The 2200 on 6s is proven.

Just wondering, have you ran a 1/8 buggy at 65mph? It is alot faster than you think, and you need some big areas to run (like acres) to not be on the brakes all the time.

Old
  (#4)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.31.2011, 10:57 PM

i still for the life of me can not understand why everyone wants a buggy made for the DIRT to go that fast. If you wanna go fast get an ONROAD car. I think its pretty much retarded, but hey, whatever creams your Twinkie i guess.

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#5)
revo madnesss
RC-Monster Stock

02.01.2011, 02:20 AM

im sure when bashing i dont reach 65mph, but a car that can reach 65mph is completely different to a car that can only reach 40mph.

i know about the castle motors and i have them in lots of cars but i want to try out tekin, any recommendations

Old
  (#6)
George16
Supermaxx

02.01.2011, 03:39 AM

Tekin 2250 truggy motor with an RX8 since you want a Tekin like you said.

Castle Neu 1520 on 6S LiPo Powered Gmaxx (Nitro Killer)
Predator with OS .21TM
Supermaxx with Mach .26
Revo with OS .18TZ
Kyosho ST-RR Conversion
Ofna CR with Tekin ESC/Motor (2)

Old
  (#7)
revo madnesss
RC-Monster Stock

02.01.2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
Tekin 2250 truggy motor with an RX8 since you want a Tekin like you said.
What gearing would I need?

Old
  (#8)
DrKnow65
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.01.2011, 09:02 AM

rm, google "rc speed calculator" :-) Then use a temp gun... often

If I could only draw what I see in my head, then afford to build it, and finaly get to play with it...

Old
  (#9)
revo madnesss
RC-Monster Stock

02.01.2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
rm, google "rc speed calculator" :-) Then use a temp gun... often

i have done so but already but its no use realy, rc speed calculator does not tell you what temperature you will be running at so for all i know i can run a 30t pinion and 20t spur. also with a tekin the timing can be adjusted which is another variable which the calculator doesn't take into account

of course i could just do some trail and error but i need a motor to base it on first, i could buy a 2650kv for example only to find out later that i cant run high enough gearing for the speeds i want as it gets too hot

thanks

Old
  (#10)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

02.01.2011, 11:50 AM

Try this version of the calculator: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html

It will suggest a setup based on your input, and then allow you to tweak the values while showing (via color code; red=bad, orange=ok, green=good) the probable result.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#11)
simplechamp
RC-Monster Titanium

02.01.2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mille View Post
i still for the life of me can not understand why everyone wants a buggy made for the DIRT to go that fast. If you wanna go fast get an ONROAD car. I think its pretty much retarded, but hey, whatever creams your Twinkie i guess.
From my own experience converting over a buggy to 1/8 on-road they are almost the same thing. Basically it's different shock tower, shocks, wheels and body.

And yes, it all comes down to what you enjoy. You pay for it, so you do what you want with it. Whether that's making a buggy into an on-road speed demon, or a TC3 sedan into an off-road rally car. I think it's cool when someone takes a vehicle designed for one purpose, and modifies it to do something else. Takes creativity and innovation.

Caster Fusion F8T - Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10

Last edited by simplechamp; 02.01.2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old
  (#12)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

02.01.2011, 04:30 PM

There is no point going with more then 10 degrees with 4 pole motors. I've tried 15 degrees a few times and didn't see a difference in speed. Just alot more motor heat. It's just waisted power. You can gain alot with timing when using the roar motors, but not with motors that are allready as efficient as can be.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Old
  (#13)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.01.2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
From my own experience converting over a buggy to 1/8 on-road they are almost the same thing. Basically it's different shock tower, shocks, wheels and body..
That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
And yes, it all comes down to what you enjoy. You pay for it, so you do what you want with it. Whether that's making a buggy into an on-road speed demon, or a TC3 sedan into an off-road rally car. I think it's cool when someone takes a vehicle designed for one purpose, and modifies it to do something else. Takes creativity and innovation.
I cant even drive my stock savage on pavement on 6s, it goes by soo fast and is almost out of sight in a matter of a few seconds, and that is what like 45-50mph realistically? I couldnt immagine driving anything faster. I know buggies handle better at these speeds, but really its impossible to drive unless you are following in a helicopter or something. Call me strange but it just seems like a "who's junk is bigger (or smaller) contest".

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Old
  (#14)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

02.01.2011, 06:25 PM

Speed runs are cool in my book. It's dragracing without the timing system and track. Speedruns for some is 40mph and for others it's 80mph. For Nic Case, well you know he has no limit.

Personally I can't do more then 80mph up and down the street at my house. I will run out of braking area.
Building a speed run car or dragster, is surely not an easy task. Takes alot of time and money to build one and to keep it running. And for my basher I have a 25mph Team Magic buggy. Therefore I have both and small and large "junk".

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Last edited by snellemin; 02.01.2011 at 06:26 PM.

Old
  (#15)
revo madnesss
RC-Monster Stock

02.01.2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Try this version of the calculator: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html

It will suggest a setup based on your input, and then allow you to tweak the values while showing (via color code; red=bad, orange=ok, green=good) the probable result.
thanks,

although the calculator is a nice idea in theory it doesn't really work, it says my current setup is unrealistic yet its running very cool and very quick