Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#16)
JThiessen
RC-Monster Brushless

10.14.2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Nice job! I love to see the "Homemade" builds and ideas that people come up with. A part of the hobby I like probably the most. This looks like it is going to be real sweet! The flathead screws look nice. Could you recess them into carbon to sit flush or would that take too much away from the strength/integrity of the area?
CF doesn't do well with tapered cross cuts in it, such as you'd get with a countersunk screw. They tend to delam faster when you do that. I'm speaking from an aircraft design standpoint - but I'm sure the same applies here. Not only that, but you'd dull your countersinks so fast you'd probably spend as much on them as you did on the CF plate. That stuff is really hard on bits.

Losi 8T 1.0, Savage Flux - XL style, LST XXL, Muggy, 3.3 E-Revo Conversion and sitting outside 425hp, 831 Tq Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel. It SMOKES

Old
  (#17)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.15.2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Nice job! I love to see the "Homemade" builds and ideas that people come up with. A part of the hobby I like probably the most. This looks like it is going to be real sweet! The flathead screws look nice. Could you recess them into carbon to sit flush or would that take too much away from the strength/integrity of the area?
Thanks man... This is really the part of the hobby I love too... I wanted to keep the heads of the screws on top because it adds a little something to the look of the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post
CF doesn't do well with tapered cross cuts in it, such as you'd get with a countersunk screw. They tend to delam faster when you do that. I'm speaking from an aircraft design standpoint - but I'm sure the same applies here. Not only that, but you'd dull your countersinks so fast you'd probably spend as much on them as you did on the CF plate. That stuff is really hard on bits.

Yep... that's correct I did a test counter sink with a spare piece of carbon and it didn't work out so well.

Old
  (#18)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.15.2009, 12:06 PM

Continuing with the screw up process:

Got a chance last night to make some test fits with the battery/lower plate...

Cut down to 1/4 inch, the aluminum bulk braces made very nice little stand offs for the lower plate

Still using flat-heads to mount the larger carbon parts

The lower plate needs additional work... I can't access 2 of the 4 mounting for the CD (might just cut slots or big holes)

I need some M4 screws to make the test fit of the CD with the Savage Shafts and see what kind of adjustments I will have to make to the CD mounting plate

More updates to follow, stay tuned

Alien

Old
  (#19)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

10.16.2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post

Outstanding work.
Women have retail therapy- blokes have build your own orgasm

Are you going to run a single servo or dual for balance? You only have one in the picture.

Last edited by pinkpanda3310; 10.16.2009 at 04:59 AM.

Old
  (#20)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.16.2009, 10:26 AM

Yeah, i'll be running one servo... The upper plate was deigned when I was still running the traxxas gear box (two speed).
When it decided to go with the CD, I kept the second mounting position... The receiver will be mounted there when I'm ready to make the final assembly.

Old
  (#21)
suicideneil
Old Skool

10.16.2009, 11:35 AM

Q. Is that a small gap I see between the upper plate and FLM braces, just in front the Monoblock?

Old
  (#22)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.16.2009, 12:27 PM

The CD mount:

Well I did some work on the CD mount last... Had to make some cuts on the lower plat to facilitate the M4 screws that held the LX one towers to the CD mounting plate. It worked well enough not to look
like an after thought... The Savage XL center drive shafts are just perfect for this project (got them for $8.00 on ebay ).

Have a look....

For the re-build I'm going to add some washers to the bolts going through the mounting plate and chassis brace

I did a little test on the motor mount to see if would have any flex... It didn't, but the OFNA CD towers did... I'm going to keep an eyes open for a pair of aluminum ones...
I have seen them before, but I can't remember where

I did a rough fitting of the electrics (please ignore the masking tape ) to see if everything would work together. Wow!!! I love the hacker c50... It had so much torque when it started...
It looks good so far... No binding and no funny smells . I slapped on the bow-ties to see how it would roll... Damn... torque!! I did the test with the 18 tooth pinion and it
cogged like crazy, but when it got going... it was not easy to stop.

More to come

Last edited by ANGRY-ALIEN; 10.16.2009 at 12:38 PM.

Old
  (#23)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.16.2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Q. Is that a small gap I see between the upper plate and FLM braces, just in front the Monoblock?
Hi Neil, yes there is a gap... It's on the list of things to resolve when I do the strip down and re-build... the FLM brace and Monoblock are not aligned correctly yet.

Alien

Old
  (#24)
suicideneil
Old Skool

10.16.2009, 07:39 PM

In a word; cool.

Old
  (#25)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

10.16.2009, 07:45 PM

Those nimh's are just for the test right??

Old
  (#26)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.16.2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
In a word; cool.
Thanks Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanda3310 View Post
Those nimh's are just for the test right??
Ahmmmm... yeah... testing, just for testing. To be honest... they'll have to be test batts only... I got a chance to throw it on the asphalt today and it was quick,
but they just didn't provide the hacker with the punch it really needs... I'll be getting a couple of these (ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 5S1P 20C) and run them in parallel.

Old
  (#27)
what do now
RC-Monster Stock

10.17.2009, 08:10 AM

That is freaking amazing.

Old
  (#28)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.18.2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks man...

Old
  (#29)
ANGRY-ALIEN
RC-Monster Aluminum

10.21.2009, 01:01 PM

Hey guys, just an update with some photos. I ran the truck last night on 16 cells with 16/52 tooth combo and it pulled smooth and hard until the Quark started having a little heat issue.
Did not realise it at first when it started cutting out on acceleration and then applying the brake, but after checking the temps... I decided to stop the run and allow it to cool off a bit...
When I re-started it, all seemed to be fine. I had assembled the ESC on the truck with out running a the heatsink that was there before, so it hod no way of cooling down... I will be fixing this tonight.

The current layout pending a heatsink and fan for the Quark:

Stay tuned

Old
  (#30)
pinkpanda3310
RC-Monster Titanium

10.22.2009, 10:13 AM

That's very impressive to look at

I am a little curious though, why have you chosen to run 5s? With all the weight saving you've done it would still be a rippin' truck and you could use the internal bec on the quark.

Tags
cc 1520 1y, flm carbon fiber chassis, hacker c50 10xl, ofna spider, ue widetrac