Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Mad at LVC on Quark Pro-Car 33A
Old
  (#1)
silentbob343
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Mad at LVC on Quark Pro-Car 33A - 06.26.2007, 09:32 PM

If it weren't for bad luck.......

I get the mini quake put back together and take it outside for a bit. As I do a pass down the street I lose sight of the quake as it passes behind a parked car. I turn left and let off throttle as I step around the car to see where it is only to watch as it hits the neighbor's garbage can, breaking an upper and lower arm. Tires extend past the front bumper so on impact they take the brunt of the force, will have to figure something out later on.

Sucks, but easy fix and now I have a lower arm I can send in to Duratrax for more spares.

I bring it in and check the the battery voltage, 3s pack was 11v+ a day ago, it is reading 7-8v. Put it on the Cellpro charger and it goes in to recovery mode. Well, that's good. If they are too low it wouldn't do anything and you pretty much have to toss the pack, but it stops at 11.6v which is still 1v shy of a fully charged pack.

I have it charging in normal mode at a very low rate, hopefully it will charge fully to 12.6v.

At least the ESC and motor were running nice and cool. I'm thinking that part of the reason for the low voltage reading was the pack did not have a chance to rebound. Weird thing is the low voltage shutoff on the ESC, set for 3.0v, should have caught it and shut it down.

It's actually set at Li-Poly Normal, but I assume it would be at least 3.0v LVC.

Last edited by silentbob343; 06.26.2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old
  (#2)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2007, 09:36 PM

Why did that pack drain so low? Did you leave it hooked up? Even with the ESC power "off", the ESC still draws power...

Sorry to hear about the breakage. I hate it when my trucks leave line of sight only to hear a resounding crash. You rush over hoping it survived only to find out half the thing is broken.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#3)
silentbob343
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.26.2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
Why did that pack drain so low? Did you leave it hooked up? Even with the ESC power "off", the ESC still draws power...

Sorry to hear about the breakage. I hate it when my trucks leave line of sight only to hear a resounding crash. You rush over hoping it survived only to find out half the thing is broken.
That's one of the weird things, I never have the battery plugged in with the truck off. In fact the battery was sitting on my computer desk since yesterday until the moment I went outside with the truck. I really wish I had measured the voltage before hooking it up, but I measured yesterday and it was at 11.4v. That measurement was taken before running it yesterday, but I didn't think I ran it enough to warrant a charge today esp. just for a shake down run.

Oh well, the voltage is climbing and hopefully it will take a full charge or at least close to a full charge. I'll reprogram the quark as well, hopefully the settings will take.

Last edited by silentbob343; 06.26.2007 at 10:08 PM.

Old
  (#4)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2007, 10:19 PM

Well, if it discharged sitting on your desk, there has to be something wrong with it unless you drained it more than you thought. Did you set the LVC on the Quark, and does that model even have an LVC?
Old
  (#5)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

06.26.2007, 10:52 PM

BrianG, yes it has lvc settings, I think they are they same as the 125. Had a 33 in my Mini LST.

Old
  (#6)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.26.2007, 10:54 PM

Was the LVC set then? If so, it shouldn't have allowed the pack to drain that far if you were running it...
Old
  (#7)
silentbob343
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.26.2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Was the LVC set then? If so, it shouldn't have allowed the pack to drain that far if you were running it...
It does and that's what I am upset about. I had it set for li-poly normal. I must have run the battery down further than I thought, but I thought the LVC would kick in. Normally I time my runs and never use more than 805 capacity, but I was doing some shakedown runs and hadn't bothered.

It also has a manual LVC option which allows the user to choose from 2.2v-3.0v. I guess I will have to select 3.0v in this menu as well.

The battery is up to 12.3v and 83% capacity charging at 250mAh. I'll have to wait and see how much capacity it'll retain.

Last edited by silentbob343; 06.26.2007 at 11:38 PM.

Old
  (#8)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

06.27.2007, 09:25 AM

I don't know what those "normal" and "high" settings are set to. I always use the manual option and choose 3.0v.
Old
  (#9)
silentbob343
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

06.27.2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know what those "normal" and "high" settings are set to. I always use the manual option and choose 3.0v.
Reading from the manual, once you set a manual LVC it won't change even if you select a different battery type later down the road. So hopefully it will stay at 3.0v from now on.