RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

1:10th/Mini chassis car advice needed.
Old
  (#1)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

1:10th/Mini chassis car advice needed. - 11.17.2012, 05:42 PM

Hi all, I know some of you run 1:10th cars as well as 1:8th so hopefully you can help me.

I have just found a 1:10th scale CRX mk2 bodyshell, and as I finally have a CRX mk2 now I couldn't resist it even though it was more expensive than my 1:8th bodyshell and has to be imported from the states.

Like the full size CRX it is tiny at 208mm wheelbase, which I will be taking slight liberties with and using a 210mm mini chassis rather than fabricating a chassis as I doubt 1mm on each wheelarch will be noticeable.

The obvious chassis choice would be a Tamiya M-03/M-05, but although I hear its a popular class elsewhere around the country it is not raced anywhere near me, which leaves me in a dilemma.

I could buy a Tamiya chassis anyway and have it as another basher, but I have 2 awesome 4wd on-road bashers already so I cant see it getting much use.

As it may not see much use I could save some money by buying the cheapest brokenest Tamiya chassis I can find on the bay with no electrics, buy a new set of wheels and tyres for it so it looks decent, and have myself a shelf queen which is quite tempting as one of the reasons I wanted it is to try out new paint schemes for a potential respray of my car and a static model will work fine for that and ensure the body stays in good nick.

There are a few belt drive 4wd Mini chassis available, not to popular here as only fwd is legal for Mini racing over here but it is pretty big in Japan apparently, if I went for one of these would it be legal for 1:10 touring or would it be ruled out by its shorter wheelbase? If not do you think a shorter car can be at all competitive? (I'm not bothered about getting in the A final, but if I'm always going to be last in the Z final I could see it getting wearing)

I could buy a 4wd mini chassis and set it up as a drifter, I have no local competitive drifting, and I have 2 on-road brushless beasts that can drift on rubber at high speed, but having a more typical hard tyred, low speed drifter would mean that I could open the door and run from the porch rather than walk down the road, and it would probably get more use than the Tamiya fwd chassis.

Has anyone tried racing a mini against a touring car? I know the 4wd chassis are faster than the 2wds so if you have and there wasn't much in it then it may be viable.

Is there a minimum weight on 1:10th touring cars?

Are touring car wheel/tyre sizes mandated? I think you can fit touring car wheels to Mini chassis
but Mini wheels are smaller with higher profile tyres, if I have to run touring wheels it will look like something from pimp my ride rolling on 22"s, rather than the sensible 15"s my car actually has.

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Old
  (#2)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

11.17.2012, 08:14 PM

rules depend on ware you race, normally there is a min weight as well as tire size rules, 2mm will make the body look odd, look at ABC Hobby for a nice cheep 4wd mini

as for how they compare to 1/10 4wd, they are alittle slower but if its just black top racing with very little rules like we do then im sure with some skill and a hot setup it can be just as fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Old
  (#3)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

11.17.2012, 11:21 PM

The last CRX I drove. (where I got my name from)

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#4)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

11.18.2012, 04:55 PM

must have been the racing stripes

i had a 91 crx and i loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Old
  (#5)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

11.18.2012, 09:07 PM

What chassis is the body designed to fit?

Old
  (#6)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

11.19.2012, 03:45 AM

Local racing is on carpet in the village hall not on ashpalt.

It is sold as a RTR package with the ABC grid

which is 210mm wheelbase FWD, but the grid does not interest me as there is no parts support for ABC that I can find in the UK, if I decide to go for a FWD it will be a Tamiya

as I can pick one up anywhere new or dirt cheap used and nearly every model shop here has parts for them, the 4wd ABC genetic

does not interest me either, there is no parts support for any of the 4wd mins here as far as I can tell so all would have to be ordered, and it is mainly plastic and, for little more money I could get an Atomic VMII

with lots of FRP and alloy made for LiPo, which seems like a much better deal.

Was that an '84-'87 mk1 hf Harold? mines a '92 mk2 VT, not a model you had in the USofA but similar to the SIR jap imports.

Does no mods still post, I'd love to see pics of his CRX, heard he ploughed bundles of cash into it.

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Last edited by nativepaul; 11.19.2012 at 03:48 AM.