RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Convert to Spool?
Old
  (#1)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

Convert to Spool? - 01.25.2013, 04:29 PM

I'm trying to decide on this one. On one hand I haven't found a diff fluid that seems to stiffen the center diff up enough to stop massive front wheel spin. On the other hand, I think a spool would make the drivetrain rather fragile, so I like a little diff action.

Currently have 120k weight in the center diff and it just doesn't seem to be enough. Considering trying 300k weight, but don't want to go with 500k weight diff putty. How "locked" does it get with 500k weight? Is there still some small diff action, or does it lock the diff entirely?

If I'm going to lock the diff I might as well convert to a spool and lose the rotating mass entirely.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Truck in question is a Jammin X1 CRT, setup in sig.

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
Old
  (#2)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

01.25.2013, 09:32 PM

just spool it, if your running a 1717, im sure handeling isnt a dig deal and your enjoying the power lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi Pro View Post
......maybe they want to be more like novak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Old
  (#3)
Thirdgen89GTA

01.25.2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
just spool it, if your running a 1717, im sure handeling isnt a dig deal and your enjoying the power lol
Well, actually its sort of strange. The actual motor RPM between the 1515 on 4S and the 1717 on 6S is pretty close. The 1717 has a crap ton more torque, but strangely its not uncontrollable at all. I actually really enjoy it on 6S. Max speed is down overall unless I gear it up. But the 1717 runs a whole lot cooler overall.

Really glad I bought it. Kinda makes me want to buy another one now and sell off my 1515's to pay for one more 1717. My 1/7th scale on-road I'm sure would love the 1717.

Really the 1717 didn't change all that much handling wise. I actually went to the 1717 so I could use 6S power without it getting out of control. All of the power is still there, I just need to gear up to take advantage of the torque and max the speed out. I have TQ Limiting set to 4.0 now and that keeps it plenty under control.

I've never measured how fast it is with its current gearing, Brians scrypt asylum calcs figure about a 66mph top speed. Much faster and the tires I normally run on the street will simply explode from spinning that fast.

Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 01.25.2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
  (#4)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

01.27.2013, 12:50 PM

i have 1717 in my muggy and love it on 6s, mines geared for 70 so it may be a diffrent story between me and you, mines more about a gross display of power lol

i perfered the spool, because it kept the front tires from balooning unless the back were too and overall that made it drive alot better and acel alot harder

Quote:
Quote:

Old
  (#5)
Thirdgen89GTA

01.27.2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
i have 1717 in my muggy and love it on 6s, mines geared for 70 so it may be a diffrent story between me and you, mines more about a gross display of power lol

i perfered the spool, because it kept the front tires from balooning unless the back were too and overall that made it drive alot better and acel alot harder
The ballooning thing is kind of why I think a spool would be where I want to go. When I had the 1515 any time I tried to make a speed run on 6S it just completely diffed out and spun the front tires. The truck would wheelie at speed not because of its power but because of the gyroscopic effect the massively ballooned tires would have. And when it wasn't wheeling you could hear the tires being torn in half.

As far as handling goes, my Mini 8ight just has a slipper and no center diff and its handling is on rails. It goes wherever you point it, its like a laser.

My real concern was the 1717s ability to shred diffs and dogbones under full power. With a center diff there's a pressure valve for the torque. Too much torque and it just unloads the front and they spin freely.

Right now I have the TQ limiting set to 4.5 and it keeps the ballooning to a minimum. I'll probably always use TQ limiting. Right now there isn't enough traction available to wheelie because of all the salt on the roads. The tires have scrap marks from spinning so hard on the asphalt.

I might just have to buy the parts and go spool to see how it works out for me. If anything at least it'll let me finally unload this thing and really see what it tops out at. I'd probably just increase TQ Limiting on track to reduce wheelies to a bare minimum.

I just don't like the idea of all that driveline shock being transmitted from the front to the rear wheels. If it lands with a spool the rear wheels suddenly have to stop spinning. With the diff there is give that wont' shock the driveline as much. The Mini8 is so light it doesn't really matter. But a 10.8lb truck is alot different from a 2lb buggy.

Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 01.27.2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
  (#6)
Semi Pro
RC-Monster Titanium

01.27.2013, 09:36 PM

well i have never had a jammin, but i, useing badlands on beadlocks with no torque limminting and i havent broken anythin is 2 years on mine lol, that may just depend on the truck tough

Quote:
Quote: