RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Whats your 1:1 car? Daily or Weekend toy?
Old
  (#1)
Thirdgen89GTA
You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a house

Whats your 1:1 car? Daily or Weekend toy? - 01.12.2013, 10:50 PM

So I'm curious what the RC buffs of this forum drive. Me? I like going fast, and even in my daily driver I want some power. Otherwise I'd probably drive the smallest most fuel efficient hatch I could find.

Instead I bought a G6 GTP 6spd manual. The manual was REALLY hard to find. My absolute cannot be dimissed requirement for a car is that it must be a manual transmission. I've had enough of Automatic transmissions and have decided no more for me.

So I have my 06' G6 GTP. 3.9L V6. A modest 240hp and 240lb/ft torque, but ever so much fun with the manual. I've run it at Road America, I've auto-x'd it, and I've drag raced it.

Untitled by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

The other car is my baby. The one that sits in my sig.

A 1989 Pontiac TransAm, originally a 240hp and 340lb/ft torque 5.7L "TPI" V8 engine with an automatic 4spd. The auto was okay, but not much fun.

I later swapped in a 5.7L/4L60e out of a 1995 camaro and with bolt-ons it regularly ran low 13's at 103mph. It was amazing to watch such a super tame sounding car get up and go compared to other factory cars with the same engine combo. Before the year ended last year I swapped in a T56 6spd manual transmission and life was good. But then old-age struck and the short block developed a knock.

This year I get serious. A rebuilt shortblock with ARP hardware thoughout, balanced and blue-printed rotating assembly, increased compression to 11:1, ported heads/intake/throttle body, a 231/239 duration camshaft, upgraded fuel system to feed it too. Along with lowering, del-a-lum bushings up front, and UMI Tubular "roto-joint" suspension pieces out back. Also being upgraded are the brakes to a larger diameter rotor and better calipers, pads, and fluid. The goal is for the braking system to keep up with 30minute sessions where I'm stopping from 155mph 3x every 2:40 or so.

End goal this year is between 420rwhp, and 440rwhp.

Untitled by thirdgen89gta, on Flickr

Its not the fastest thing on the planet, but it sure is fun to drive.

• 1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA, 5.7L LT1/M6 400rwhp+
    • Jammin X1 CRT Pro, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale GT car, MMM/1717, 6S
    • Hyper 10TT, MMP/1410, 3S
    • TL Mini 8ight, stock, 2S
  Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA  
My Whip...
Old
  (#2)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

My Whip... - 01.13.2013, 12:53 AM

I don't like to post my ride on the internet because not everyone can afford my lifestyle. Everybody is pretty chill at Rc-M so I think I can share without too many people hating on me.

A lot of people wouldn't use my vehicle as a daily driver, saying I'm just showing off, but oh well.

My street/strip auto has the potent and downright nasty 2 valve aluminum block 4.6l modular v-8. On pump gas I'm pushing 190hp/270 ft lbs of torque. It's got a bulletproof 4r70w 3 speed with overdrive transmission, with custom glazing so it shakes violently when shifting into overdrive.

Custom titanium plugs because 3 of the 8 stockers were seized in the aluminum block when replaced needing heli-coils. The titanium is supposed to not seize.

Body wise I added a custom crinkled drivers front fender when I hit a deer. (the thing splattered and popped my air bags- no more airbags...) And my dad who has been a mechanic his whole life added some sweet scratches to the rear doors when he pushed me out of a ditch with his minneapolis moline tractor.

In the interior I have a gaping hole in the dash where the alpine head unit used to be, I traded it for r/c stuff.

When I drive it, it gets 13mpg. When my dad drives it, it gets 17mpg. My dad has always been fuel efficient.

She'll run high 19's in the 1/8 mile at about 36mph all day.

It's hard to say I'd change anything about her, she's my baby. I am looking into swapping out the old oil for some new stuff. It's been about 2500 miles since the last swap.

This isn't a joke, this is an actual pic of the back of my sick hoopty-

Haters gonna hate...

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#3)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

01.13.2013, 09:58 AM

Well I'm still trying to get my project car together - The hope was it would be ready for last summer but that came and went so really hoping that it can get sorted for this year...

Sold off about 60% of my RC collection and just kept a few favourites. I'll probably try to reduce that down a bit further in due course.

Old
  (#4)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

01.13.2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
Well I'm still trying to get my project car together - The hope was it would be ready for last summer but that came and went so really hoping that it can get sorted for this year...

Sold off about 60% of my RC collection and just kept a few favourites. I'll probably try to reduce that down a bit further in due course.
Sweeeeeet!!! what's the power plant?

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#5)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

01.13.2013, 10:39 AM

I'm glad you chimed in Arct1k! I was wondering how the exo car was coming along.

I sent you a picture of a sweet cf wing on an exo car. I think it added about 50 visual horsepowers!

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#6)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.13.2013, 10:45 AM

Quit showing off Harold....

I drive a 2007 Dodge Caliber. 2.0L with a CVT (continuously variable transmission).
I like it, does well in the snow, pretty fuel efficient at about 25mpg. Decent amount of cargo room for RCs and junk. Price was pretty good too, bought it used this past July.
This is my newest car ever, previously drove a 95 Mercury tracer, and before that a 90 pontiac grand am (both had pain peeling off).

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#7)
Thirdgen89GTA

01.13.2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

That kind of looks like an Ariel Atom. Who's the MFG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
Quit showing off Harold....

I drive a 2007 Dodge Caliber. 2.0L with a CVT (continuously variable transmission).
I like it, does well in the snow, pretty fuel efficient at about 25mpg. Decent amount of cargo room for RCs and junk. Price was pretty good too, bought it used this past July.
This is my newest car ever, previously drove a 95 Mercury tracer, and before that a 90 pontiac grand am (both had pain peeling off).

Had a Altima 2.5 with a CVT, takes a lot of getting used to. Kept waiting for the engine to explode or something while merging on the highway.

daily toy
Old
  (#8)
mikesauto
RC-Monster Stock

daily toy - 01.13.2013, 02:12 PM

95 integra GSR and still have my first toy 69 roadrunner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00097.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	10589  

Old
  (#9)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

01.13.2013, 02:36 PM

Its a Race Car Replica's Superlite Roadster www.racecareplicas.com - Powered by a 2.0L Supercharged Ecotec with a F.A.S.T. XFI. Wiring the ECU to the stock sensors is the issue at the moment.

Old
  (#10)
gtxracer
HOOH HUAH HOOH! Aww Baby!

01.13.2013, 03:45 PM

Toy, 97 TJ stretched to 100" wb, 4.0 to np435 to dana 300 with Stak replacement case. 35 Krawlers, hp30 with RCV shafts up front, 8.8 rear, locked front and rear. Building cage and armor right now.

Hopefully replacing my 02 Silverado tow rig with this:

:D

Old
  (#11)
Thirdgen89GTA

01.13.2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Its a Race Car Replica's Superlite Roadster www.racecareplicas.com - Powered by a 2.0L Supercharged Ecotec with a F.A.S.T. XFI. Wiring the ECU to the stock sensors is the issue at the moment.
Ahh, I like their Nemesis car. Guy had one at our Road America rental last year.

Old
  (#12)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

01.13.2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA View Post
Had a Altima 2.5 with a CVT, takes a lot of getting used to. Kept waiting for the engine to explode or something while merging on the highway.
I like the CVT a lot. I almost never step on it in my personal vehicle. Work truck is a different story...
I understand the concept of the CVT keeping the engine in the optimum range, I think it performs pretty well from the few times I got on it.
Already has 90k on it (only 3k from me). So as long as the tranny holds up decently long I'll be happy. But the general population doesn't seem to like the CVT. Chrysler is pretty much dropping it from all their vehicles. Nissan owns JATCO (who makes the CVTs) so they might continue to use them.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#13)
mistercrash
Guelph, Canada, eh!

01.13.2013, 06:28 PM

I sold my car almost two years ago. Sick and tired of the gas prices and all the expenses of having it. This is what I ride everyday to go to work and run small errands, rain or shine, even in the snow in winter. An electric scooter.

All you polluters with your big gas guzzling toys can kiss my BUTTery

We do have one family car that my wife uses since she works farther away and picks up the kid from daycare. A 2008 Mazda CX9 with GT package.

No brain, no headaches.

Old
  (#14)
Blazerss
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.13.2013, 07:24 PM

Paralyzed is winning this contest so far, but I will go ahead and post mine

The daily driver is a 98 Mazda 626 with 210,000 miles on it. It does what I need it to do but it gets me no where fast

The Friday driver is an 86 S10 Blazer. I will just say it has had a few things done to it and mustang owners know my tag number

Old
  (#15)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

01.13.2013, 08:26 PM

My daily is a 97 GMC Yukon GT. I'm hoping to keep it and refurbish it for my little boy one day.

The toy/ weekend vehicle is a 92 GMC Typhoon. It's been down for a while now but should be up and running soon.

Nick

Tamiya TRF801Xt-e