RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > General Electric

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#61)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

04.17.2014, 05:31 PM

Took pics in front of a Tesla yesterday. I have the poor man's Tesla. The Tesla peeps were impressed with the bike and didn't mind me hanging around with the bike. The Chevy volt and Toyota Prius got zero attention in the lot. It was all about the Tesla.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer
GTP-Pletty Big Maxximum+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-Pro4+ZTW esc.
24s2p EVG SX 49.6mph Ebike.
18s4p Raptor 60mph Ebike. 11.5KW

Last edited by snellemin; 04.17.2014 at 05:33 PM.

Old
  (#62)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

04.30.2014, 02:13 PM

Here is a coworker who's a regular cyclist, test riding my Raptor. He was kinda nervous and opted for the low power 20mph limit mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSYn...Vioo7t_pn9i3hQ

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#63)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.30.2014, 03:43 PM

Hey snellemin, in your opinion, what are the better places to go for pre-built bike and system kits? Looking for:

- ~1000w+ system, maybe more.

- Disc brakes (if a pre-built setup)

- Bullet-proof reliable controller and motor that won't overheat. Something with a voltage range of 44v (12s lipo) to 90v (24s lipo) would be good. I understand hitting the higher wattages is easier with higher voltage, just want some flexibility.

- Decent price. You generally get what you pay for, but no sense in paying extra for no reason. :)

- Speeds around 30mph (give or take) on flats. Mostly on-road use with possible trails. Iowa is mostly flat, but in the city near rivers, there tends to be larger hills to surmount.

- Distance is not really a factor as I can add more capacity as needed (at the expense of added weight of course).

Mainly to be used for cruising with little to no pedaling. Not worried about any laws as I'm not looking for speeds too high, but want the extra power to carry my large mass up hills without slowing to 1mph. So would rather have something slower if it means more torque.

Not sure yet if I want to convert my primary bike, but I do have an old (late 90's era) Trek that's just sitting around gathering dust. If converting something that old is going to be an issue (compatibility with old rim brakes, hard to find parts, etc), I figure a pre-built may be a better alternative.

I've read lots of threads on Endless-Sphere, but like any hobby, there are haters, exaggerated claims, fanboys, etc so it's hard to separate the good info from the crap.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#64)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

04.30.2014, 04:26 PM

Pre-build stuff is pretty good if you don't mind the price. Right now mid drives are all the rage between the good manufacturers. There is only one store in Houston where you can buy a good pre-build bike. Some other states have zero places where you can go check one out. But if you can find one place near you, I suggest you go check it out and see what system you like. Then either buy from them or build something similar.

No bike manufacturer offers a bike with 24s Lipo capability. So you are kinda stuck putting a system together yourself. For your requirements, I would buy a Magic Pie II motor wheel setup. It's thin, supports both rim + disc brake rotor and has plenty of torque. It will do 1000W+ all day long. Climbing overpasses will be a piece of cake. Controller wise, I suggest you go with either a 12fet or 18fet 4110irf controller by Lyen. Lyen is on the Endless forum. Tell him the voltages you which to run and he'll put in the proper resistors value for you inside the controller.
I like Zombies program version for the controller vs what Lyen provides.
Get the Cycle Analyst V3, to keep an eye on things and messing around with cruise control, torque control, etc.
If you are going to use a hard tail bike, I suggest you go with nice fat tires and/or suspension seat post.

People on the other forum will tell you to go for the Crystalyte motors. Personally I am not impressed with the H35 series. The H40 series looks like a better product if you want to go with that manufacturer. Ebikessf.com carries the motors and I have purchased from them before.

If you don't want to got up to 90V, you can look at stuff from Bionx.

A 3 speed switch is nice to have and that can be used directly from the controller itself. Regen braking is also nice for saving your brakepads.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#65)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.30.2014, 07:42 PM

As far as pre-builds go, I've really only seen High-Power Cycles and the Stealth talked about for the higher power stuff I'd be looking for. HPC seems to have hit or miss reviews though, and for the price of the Stealth, I could buy a motorcycle.

I thought Crystalyte motors were the better type? At least they were the last time I was seriously looking. Oh well, times change. Did a Google search for Magic Pie II and looks like most kits come with a controller. I'd probably use that temporarily to see how things go and then upgrade to that Lyen ESC. Speaking of that, does this Lyen person have a shop, or is it out of his basement type of thing? If I do go that route, I think I'd go for the 18 fet if nothing else to stress each fet less.

I had already planned on going with a Cycle Analyst as that seems to be universally recommended.

As far as the spokes are concerned; are the pre-mounted motors/wheels adequate, or should I lace them myself with larger gauge? 1000w+ is a lot of torsional stress to place on typical spokes. If so, I'd probably have a bike shop do the actual lacing though as I have no idea how to do it right and be balanced without over-tightening them (I tend to Kung-Fu grip anything I do).

What about batteries? Looks like I can cobble together a HobbyCity pack setup for around $600 (20Ah @ 24s), or are those Ping batteries adequate? I do like that Ping has the BMS pre-done and comes with a simple CC/CV charger. They're a little bit more money, but it's all done and ready to go.

All said and done, it looks like this will cost around $1500 total, give or take.

What's this about a 3 speed switch? I thought the throttle was variable?
Old
  (#66)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

04.30.2014, 11:16 PM

You can do the same as what HPC offers. Stealth is a different animal.

The MagicPie II is offered without a built-in controller. The wheel that comes with is pretty good. Mine is still on. Goldenmotor is a decent company. I have nothing against Crystalyte, but I wouldn't spend my money on the H35 series. I would rather get the H40 series.

Lyen does have a day job. He answers all my emails and ships out quick. I like the fact that when I have issues, it would only take an email to get my problems solved. Lyen will swap out your fets for a fee if you decide to go a different route power wise. Tell him what features you want enabled and what version CA you will be using.

The ping won't be enough for you. You can find BMS's on ebay if you really want one. Em3ev also sells good prebuild packs for your high power needs. But going lipo is the cheapest option for high power.

The throttle is variable but the 3 speed switch is good to have when having a high power setup for better throttle control. You can program your own speed limits. You'll find out what I mean once you start riding.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#67)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

05.03.2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the tips, and sorry for hijacking the thread. Figured it was simpler to keep it all on one place.

Also, has anyone figured out some kind of rule-of-thumb to determine approximate controller size and Watt-hour battery requirement? Something like 1Wh per mph per pound of gross weight per minute of riding (assuming flat surface)?
Old
  (#68)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

05.04.2014, 12:10 AM

No hijack. It's about ebikes.

I use about 1Ah per 6 miles, pedaling along at 20mph. I would probably get more just like how I do with my sensorless setup on my other bike. Reason being that I have to get the bike moving first, before hitting the throttle. So my startup power is a lot lower vs my sensored setup, where I just hit the throttle and then pedal. My bike also pulls a continuous 80A when pushing 53mph. 60 something amps at around 45mph.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#69)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

05.20.2014, 11:08 AM

Scored me a Manitou cheapy 10.5"x3.5" shock. Used a 300lbs vs the 400lbs spring on the 9.5" x 3.0" shock. Pedals just as nice on my way to work. I haven't gone off road yet.

It's the last shock on the right.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Quality listing?
Old
  (#70)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Quality listing? - 05.20.2014, 12:48 PM

So how about doing us a favor by putting together a solid listing (wish-list) of what you have so far with purchasing info so some of us can consider what route to take in order to reach your current status? And know exactly where to find these parts. Kind of an RTR listing. This way we can look at putting together a mission of funding and time constraints for how long it would take to gather it all one piece at a time? I really am interested in building one of these for an inner city transport since we are moving to the WDC/Virginia area next month. I am all for battry power over using a gasoline powered bike to get back and forth to work on a daily basis. We will be living in Fairfax Virginia, and work will be near the White House. So something like this would be right up my alley. I surely don't want to peddle this distance on a daily basis. I probably should, but I am just not interested in expending that much energy every day. And I don't want to waste my money on some cheap piece of crap that might only last me a few months either.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#71)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

05.20.2014, 02:50 PM

1. Raptor frame. Short people 5'7" and lower should get the lower bike seat assembly. Moto seat if you are not going to pedal at all, or gonna go hardcore trail riding.

2. Rear shock 8.5" x 2.5" is good enough for just light street riding. For faster speeds go with 9.5" x 3.0". For max suspension travel go with 10.5" x 3.5". There is a list of suggested spring rates on the Qulbix website that will help you select the best spring for your weight, including shock mount location. Fox and Rockshox seems to be the good brands, but are pricey when going with the 10.5” shocks. You need 8x40mm shock spacers.

3. Dual crown fork of your choice with 180-200mm travel. I like my DNM fork for the type of riding that I do. Very smooth onroad and well behaved off road. Price is not as high as the bigger brand names. I’m not jumping 10ft off a cliff, so didn’t see the need for a more expensive fork.

4. Get a good handle bar with locking grips. A short stem is good. I have the Truvativ 40 0-degree 42 height 31.8 stem. I’m using ODI Rogue grips. Control Tech 4X handlebar.

5. I’m using a cheapy Shimano Tourney TX55 6/7 speed rear derailleur, with a Shimano Revoshift SL-RS31-5 5 speed twist shifter. Maillard 5 speed freewheel, which has a big center hole to fit the motor. I didn’t see the point of spending a lot of money for a derailleur that will get beaten up on the trails. It’s an electric bike after all and shifting speed and weight is not a priority.

6. Travativ Howitzer Team BB 83mm Shell 56mm chainline bottom bracket. Travativ Holzfeller 165mm Crankset. You can also get the schlumpf high speed drive from Qulbix. There are cheaper options that I’m still working on.

7. Control Tech 10mm offset seat post. 30.9mm x 350mm. Just cut the tube to your requirement.

8. Travativ Hussefelt II BB mount chain guide that fits 36-48T chain rings. However you can use a max of 40T chain ring.

9. Magura Louise brakes. Magura Julie HP-4F brake set, ebike version. I love Magura’s because they simply work. I’m not impressed with the more expensive brakes that are available. Those will work fine if you are a weight weenie and don’t mind having brake fade. Magura will have 4 piston calipers soon for mtb, that are based of their moto devision. Or just look for brakes that are used on downhill bikes.

10. 10k Ohms NTC thermistor for the temp option in the CA V3.

11. Wipperman 808 8 speed chain. It’s one strong quality chain.

12. Cane Creek 40 series ZS short 1-1/8” 44mm headset.

13. Alex DM24 36 hole wheel.

14. 18 fet sensored controller that at least uses 4110 fets. Get the program cable as well. Have the Regen brake option and 3 speed enabled. I’m using 21s Lipo on my bike.

15. I’m using the Cromotor for its massive torque and I don’t have to worry about overheating it under heavy loads. I can hit 45mph very quickly if needed. But I mostly ride 20mph, which consumes about 500W average with me pedaling along.
You can use a smaller motor, but just remember that it’s a heavy bike and care will have to be taken when pushing the limit of the motor. I believe the Magic Pie motor will be a solid option for a cheaper motor that will be able to handle up to 2000W without a problem. You can also look into the Crystalyte H40 series motors.
You can also use sensorless controller, but you will have to learn to control the throttle when pushing the limits of the controller. This is where the sensored controller shines.

16. Cycle Analyst V3 is needed for the best ride experience when running high power. My throttle and brake cutoff are wired into the CA. The CA then controls the throttle signal going to your ESC. Your bike won’t have a jumpy throttle, which can quite annoying when running high power setups. If your actual throttle fails for whatever reason, the CA will cut the throttle signal going to your ESC. Best safety feature available. And since your Brake cutoff and Throttle are wired into the CA, you will be able to use the cruise control function built into the CA.
I also have the amp limiter enabled through the CA. So I have a 3 speed limiter and amp limiter at my disposal.

17. Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires are good for this heavy bike. I’m using thick inner tubes. The rear wheel is 46mm wide and the Crazy bob’s sit well in them.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Thanks for quick response
Old
  (#72)
JERRY2KONE
JERRY2KONE SUPERMAXX

Thanks for quick response - 05.20.2014, 03:30 PM

Thanks Snel for the quick response on this. man that is a fairly detailed list, and I know you put some work into just remembering all of that. Looks like a very good list to start with for further research on our end. Any chance you can add some links? I get most of what you said, but some of it is like reading a foreign language for the average Joe, if you know what I mean. I wish I lived near your location so I could ask for help doing something like this. After all this could run into a lot of money, and with mistakes could cost a whole lot more trying to get the right gear, and knowing exactly where to look would be helpful. I really appreciate your help with this. I am looking forward to resettling in WDC and getting my garage set up for projects like this one. It is a rented house so no house repairs to deal with, and our son can keep the yard cut and clean for allowance money.

SUPERMAXX YOUR LIFE.

Old
  (#73)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

05.20.2014, 05:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I missed some items. I got most of my stuff from Ebay, Amazon and JensonUSA. A few little things from the local bike and hobby shops. The controller came from Lyen in San Francisco.
I didn't list the tools I had to purchase to assemble the bike. But I do get to use them often, so I don't see it as a lost really.
I do get phone calls at times regarding my bikes. Kinda like how I use to receive calls asking for help on how to go faster with what they had with their RC dragsters. I've gotten emails from Australia, South America and Central America regarding my Raptor bike build. I'm not sure what is different with my bike vs the other Raptors out there, but mine seems to be a inspiration to build one as well. Kinda makes me feel good that I actually put something nice together vs my other stuff I build at times.
I'm still waiting on Adaptto to offer their Max-E controller. That will simplify the battery management and controller in one slap.
I enjoy my bigger garage now and you would probably fill it with all kind of projects once you settle back in the USA.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#74)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.02.2014, 12:49 PM

Ok, my frame is old now. There is a new thinner frame available. It supports a larger battery and has foot peg kit available. This will fit Monster Mike needs more. Mike, delete this post if you think/feel this is advertising some other product on your forum.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer

Old
  (#75)
snellemin
2 KiloWatt RACER

07.02.2014, 01:00 PM

Only update I have on my bike is a new battery power configuration that I'm going too. I barely go 40mph, so I'm dropping my voltage and going with 18s3p 5000mah lipo. Also swapping over to Powerpole connectors for ease changing voltage configuration.

Sorry for the bad phone pics.

6 KiloWatt A123 Racer