RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Castle Creations

Odd electronics behavior, delayed throttle & steering response
Old
  (#1)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

Odd electronics behavior, delayed throttle & steering response - 04.29.2015, 09:52 AM

I've already posted this in the general questions area, but a friend told me to post in here as well, as you guys might be able to shed some light on this issue for me.

I've been running 2 different systems in 2 different vehicles, consisting of mostly the same components, but both having the same issue.

The first system is a Mamba Monster 2 with a 1717 Motor, 10 amp Castle BEC, and a Flysky GT3C radio. I have been running this system on 4S for quite some time now, with zero issues. Everything operates flawlessly. But the second I plug 6S into it, I get weird delayed responses to throttle and steering inputs. I can go back to 4S and everything is fine.

I have the same issue with another vehicle that has the exact same system configuration, the only exception being an XL2 ESC instead of the MM2. Same situation, runs flawlessly on 4S, but the second I plug 6S in, I get the delayed responses.

Any idea as to where I might be getting this issue from? Everything is soldered up very nicely (I'm a bit OCD about that), so I know I don't have any shorts anywhere (plus, I'm getting the same symptoms on two different vehicles). Both BEC's are soldered to the + and - on the ESC's and I've unhooked the red wire on both ESC's.

To explain the symptoms in more detail, I'm getting very "glitchy" steering response and delayed throttle response. If I turn the wheels left to right quickly, the servo moves very erratically, and stops momentarily in random spots and then seems to "catch up" and complete the action received by my input from the transmitter. Throttle is doing something similar. At times I will pull the trigger and let go quickly, as if to apply a small burst of power and then let off, but nothing happens until after I've already completed the input on the transmitter. I'll pull the trigger and let off quick, then a moment later, the vehicle will burst forward, as if there was a time delay between my input and the vehicles receipt of that input. Also, during longer throttle inputs, like speed runs, when I let off the throttle, there is a very noticeable delay in when I let off. The vehicle will continue under power for a second or two after I've already let off. I should add that this is very inconsistent behavior though. It does not happen all the time. Sometimes it will operate as if nothing is wrong and then all the sudden it will catch me off guard and act up again. Which can be very irritating. For example, yesterday I had one of the vehicles out on 6S, and I was experiencing situations where the system was acting as if I was holding the throttle at 100% for a few seconds straight, when all I actually did was "goose" it. This resulted in a few nasty crashes...as I'm sure we can all certainly understand, as a 1717 motor on 6S can be pretty wild!

Anyways, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on my issue for me. Or at least point me in the right direction. I thought for sure I would find posts somewhere online from people experiencing these symptoms, but I came up short. So thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

-Travis

Adults are just kids, with money.
Common sense, is not so common.

Old
  (#2)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.29.2015, 01:24 PM

At the higher 6s voltage, the switching BEC could be "transmitting" more noise from the switching action. Given the close proximity of the BEC to the radio components/wiring, this could be causing errant noise getting into them.

Something as simple as wrapping the BEC in tinfoil may solve everything (make sure it doesn't short anything out!)

Also, you can try adding a capacitor to an empty receiver slot. 1000uF, 16v or more should be sufficient. This will help clean up any noise on the DC voltage. Also, wrapping the throttle and steering wires a turn or two around a ferrite donut may help. This may help reduce interference from being induced on those wires.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#3)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.29.2015, 03:18 PM

Awesome, some things I can try, thanks Brian. I appreciate the help. I will give these a shot & report back here with the results.

I know my XL2 has one of those ferrite donuts on the wires going to the receiver. But if my servo could benefit from one as well, I can certainly put one on there too.

I have some of that aluminum tape for duct work, that should work just like tin foil I assume? Should be the same thing. The sticky backing would just be handy for keeping it from coming off.

-Travis

Last edited by WheelMan; 04.29.2015 at 03:23 PM.

Old
  (#4)
bdebde
That's All Folks!

04.29.2015, 04:11 PM

Also look at power wires near the antenna as well. I had similar issues on a rig one time... the ESC was directly behind receiver box, and the antenna came out the rear of the box right next to the power wires on the ESC. I relocated the antenna to the front of the receiver box and no more issues.

Old
  (#5)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

04.30.2015, 02:46 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info man. my antenna's are plenty far away from the ESC on both vehicles, so I should be ok there.

I've ordered up some caps with the specs Brian mentioned, so I'll get those soldered up to some receiver plugs, and give them a shot.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it very much!

-Travis

Old
  (#6)
WheelMan
Do Epic Sh!t

06.01.2015, 11:23 AM

The capacitor seems to have done the trick. Much smoother operation on 6S now, thanks Brian! The help is very much appreciated.

-Travis