RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Questions and Answers > General Questions

im back for more action!
Old
  (#1)
jokerjustin
RC-Monster Cheap Ass

im back for more action! - 11.30.2009, 11:48 AM

well i used to be big into rc.. about 2 years ago i bought a revo and rocked that for a while but i wanted more power... so i went brush less...
old setup was
rc monster brush less mount,true rc 4s 4000s(i think) mamba max and a 8xl...
plus full suspension upgrades and all metal drivetrain

i loved that thing then one day as i was bashing with it i saw the magical puff from under the body and it started cogging like hell.... so i pretty much gave up on it as i didnt have the finances again to replace it...

so my gf now wants to buy me a new one for Christmas.. she went thru my laptop and saw some pics of the erevo(brushless) so she wants to get that for me...

my question is.. should i just get a new erevo or should i put the money into getting the monster max combo...?

any comments?

Old
  (#2)
shaunsmaxx
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

11.30.2009, 12:03 PM

I think I'd upgrade what you have. Prob save a little cash and maybe get some new batts at the same time. I loved my converted revo. I haven't had the e-revo but have a summit. I love the batt trays but don't know how well the plastic chassis is gonna hold up to the solid brushless bashing.

Shaun

Hit it hard and watch for parts!

Old
  (#3)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

11.30.2009, 01:20 PM

Since you were running a MM and an 8XL, I would say you are in fact running 4s. And since it is a conversion, I would guess it is a single 4s pack right? If so, the Trx BL Revo probably wouldn't be the best because you'd need two packs in saddle arrangement, so would require buying more lipos (or modifying what you have).

So, I would just get the Monster combo and put that in place of the MM/8XL. You'll love the power and it will stay cooler guaranteed provided you are using the same gearing. Or, if finances are tight and you are sure the motor itself is good, you could contact Castle about how much it would be to send the bad ESC in and upgrade to a Monster ESC. It may be cheaper than a retail ESC.

Do you know why the MM ESC fried? You are running an external BEC right? Because on 4s in a truck, the built-in BEC probably would have been the cause of the failure. The good news is that the Monster ESC has a UBEC built in so no worries there.

Last edited by BrianG; 11.30.2009 at 01:22 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#4)
jokerjustin
RC-Monster Cheap Ass

11.30.2009, 02:39 PM

i have no clue why it failed... i was using an external battery pack with a single brick 4s battery.... i am honestly not sure what when wrong..i think i started getting brave and letting my 8xl get a little hotter than it was supposed to..
looks like the monster mamba is the smarter decision.

how about my current lipos? im ganna guess and say theve been charged about 15-20 times and have been sitting for a few years in a ammo box... i fully charged them b4 storing them and i just checked and there still balanced... think they still have some life in them?

Old
  (#5)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

11.30.2009, 03:03 PM

Some people say that storing lipos at full charge for long periods of time can cause issues. Some say it's fine. I store mine at around 3.8v/cell just to be safe. You might be ok, just run them fairly gently the first time and check balance at the end.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#6)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

11.30.2009, 04:13 PM

The easiest way is getting a M.M.M. and maybe a couple new packs(probably will be nessasary after them sitting so long)
Then go have some serious fun ! ! !

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#7)
jokerjustin
RC-Monster Cheap Ass

11.30.2009, 07:16 PM

ok ill test them out first b4 i dish out more money on some packs...
what should i look for tho? just see if they are really imbalanced at the end of the run??

what are some decently priced packs out now? i kinda want to stay around 4s as thats the max my charger can do.

Old
  (#8)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

11.30.2009, 07:27 PM

Run without the body on at first so you can visually monitor the packs are you go, if they are mad they'll start a puffin'.

Hobby City http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...2&v=&sortlist=
is the hook up for inexpensive semi qaulity packs, I have a dozen and haven't ben let down yet. If you want a higher qaulity pack check with Mike/RCM, he almost always have good prices in NEU or eqivilent packs..

Old
  (#9)
mikey09120
RC-Monster Stainless Steel

11.30.2009, 08:58 PM

hi :) my name is boxxy. hahaha. i suggest getting lipo batteries from hobbycity like bondonutz said. and save for the MMM 2200kv combo. mad power!

-mikey09120

Old
  (#10)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.01.2009, 02:42 AM

i have hobbycity lipos and they work great. they are pretty true to their ratings unlike some brands. (maxcramps, SMC)

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Old
  (#11)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

12.01.2009, 04:15 AM

LiPos do something funny when they sit around for a looong time. I had some packs that I hadn't used for over a year because the car they were used in wasn't running anymore. They showed good voltage and were in perfect balance, but when I cycled them there was no usable capacity left. I mean, it was a 5000mah pack and I only got 200mah out of it (after multiple cycles). I honestly wouldn't bother with testing the old packs. Just get some new ones. Zippys are great, especially for the money. Just don't expect any warranty service from China (it's cheaper to buy new ones than send them back for replacement).

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#12)
jokerjustin
RC-Monster Cheap Ass

12.01.2009, 04:39 PM

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._40C_Lipo_Pack

thinking about those.. 40c should be enough right? if i get that pack i can go for the 2200 combo.. and still have a little cash for a new body =)..

the batterys i linked are 5000mah, and the ones i currently have are 4000.. think its worth going for the extra capacity? i know id love to be able to bash more with the extra capacity. i used to have to give my motor and esc a break with my old set up as it had temp issues every 10 mins..

Old
  (#13)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

12.01.2009, 04:49 PM

30C is plenty but more is always better !

If you gear correctly you will NOT need any cooling off periods. You should be able to run pack after pack with zero issues !

Old
  (#14)
jokerjustin
RC-Monster Cheap Ass

12.01.2009, 05:17 PM

thanks for all the help guys... your really making this really easy and understandable.
in terms of gearing.. what is a good speed to gear for? i remember im using a 35 spur with the tranny locked in (either first or second will check when i get home) i can plug in all the info into brians calc but what would be a good baseline speed for no heat problems?

Old
  (#15)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

12.01.2009, 05:19 PM

35-40mph