RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > RC-Monster Area > General Discussion

I'm back!! - mod1 noise
Old
  (#1)
shaunjohnson
i pwn nitro

I'm back!! - mod1 noise - 03.01.2013, 05:31 AM

after a long break from RC i'm back at last.

dusted off the old flogged out revo and canibalised the parts from it to build up my nice new RC8BFT

all the shineyness

now ive only just plugged her in tonight after having some minor bootup issues with the old MMM V4 after 3 years in storage but DAYUM these 32p gears are noisy!

is this pretty much what i'll have to put up with? any suggestions on an acurate way to set the mesh?

im a fitter/machinist so ive set it to the best of my ability but its still loud as hell.

already fried a 46t due to new-car-troubles with the pinion coming lose

really keen to get back to the track once the new rig is running!

shaun

E-revo 3.3 conversion, 249kv outrunner, 6s, MMM
the porthole from the noob world an here has been opened!! that's how i got in.
  Send a message via MSN to shaunjohnson  
Old
  (#2)
suicideneil
Old Skool

03.25.2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunjohnson View Post
after a long break from RC i'm back at last.

dusted off the old flogged out revo and canibalised the parts from it to build up my nice new RC8BFT

all the shineyness

now ive only just plugged her in tonight after having some minor bootup issues with the old MMM V4 after 3 years in storage but DAYUM these 32p gears are noisy!

is this pretty much what i'll have to put up with? any suggestions on an acurate way to set the mesh?

im a fitter/machinist so ive set it to the best of my ability but its still loud as hell.

already fried a 46t due to new-car-troubles with the pinion coming lose

really keen to get back to the track once the new rig is running!

shaun
The larger the teeth, the noisier the mesh- mod1.0 will only be worse vs 32p / mod0.8

As for setting the mesh, I always eyeball the gap- there should just be a tiny bit of play between the pinion & spur allowing the spur to rock back & forth a tiny amount. You can always use the paper trick ( feed inbetween gears, mesh together, tighten motor screws, remove paper ) as well, just make sure the gap/mesh is consistent by rotating the spur fully, checking for tight or loose spots as it rotates.

Old
  (#3)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.25.2013, 11:26 PM

I hear ya man, mod1 sounds terrible to me! If you can find a plastic spur gear it cuts out on the noise by like 80%. And with mod1 gears the plastic holds up very well still. I'm running plastic on my savage flux, and will soon be running plastic on my brushless truggy.

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#4)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.26.2013, 04:03 AM

If you have a metal spur swap it for a plastic one if one is available, and not necessarily from the same company as often diff dimensions are shared. On my Hot Bodies Lightning 2 pro buggy I found that Kyosho Inferno Sport plastic spurs fit my diff, and on my Xray XT8 truggy I used a plastic spur from an Asscociated of some description (cant recall what exactly) both were a hell of a lot quieter on plastic.

I am sure there is some mathematicaly perfect way to set the mesh using the gear angles to optimise efficiency, but I just run a blue (thinest) Rizla (handrolling cigerette paper) through the mesh which ensures they are not jamming but only leaves a tiny bit of backlash probably under a 1/10th of a sheet of normal writing paper.

Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro carbon, Mega 22/30/2, MMM, 4s3-5Ah.
Tamiya F201 carbon, Mamba 7700, MM, 2s A123 2.3ah.
Xray XT8, 1518, MMM, 4s5Ah.
Lots of boats.
fastelectrics.net

Old
  (#5)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

03.26.2013, 03:55 PM

Associated does have a couple different plastic spurs to choose from, Last I knew they had 3 or 4 different tooth count ones available for the 1/8 scale. I used one on my RC8T and they hold up to a full season of racing and are much quieter

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh