RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > GorillaMaxx

Old
  (#31)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.02.2015, 06:18 AM

Dang, that Gorillamaxx G4 looks awesome to!
That sparking chassis sounds awesome :)

Old
  (#32)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

07.02.2015, 11:12 AM

I have an extended titanium Dominator chassis too(not the same one, though) with Proline bulks and Proline Maxx suspension - it is about as bullet-proof as you can imagine. I raced it quite successfully for 2 seasons and the chassis has minor scratches! Mine is still nitro, though - but with the center diff and rear braking kit(mounted to the rear bulk instead of the center diff like today's trucks).
If I had half the patience of you, Sam, I would have some sweet trucks(not that I don't already have cool trucks, but nothing with a mirror shine)!!

Old
  (#33)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.02.2015, 09:28 PM

Mike, my DUH Dominator build has been going literally 10 years or so, now that's patience haha. I got to know Eric, aka DUH Engineering well when he was at his best & creating many Ti parts for the Supermaxx, Titan & Dominator, but then became a Dad, needed to put all hobby projects on hold for a few years...

My DUH parts sat in a box for 5 years or so before I started to get back into things. Unfortunately during this time, entities like Gorillamaxx came & went, and I missed them completely.

It is not pictured, but I do have a NIP Rear Brake Kit to go onto my DUH Dominator, so I am hoping that I have thought of everything I need to make this an epic truck... The blue bulks pictured in the DUH parts there are not the bulks I will be using either. I have another set deanodised and polished, they are currently in the states getting drilled & tapped for ejector pics, cannot wait to get them back with my screw order and start building it again...

Last edited by DarkSammy; 07.02.2015 at 09:36 PM.

Old
  (#34)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

07.02.2015, 09:56 PM

Yeah, life happens. To all of us. Glad you got back to it, though - seems like you got caught up pretty well, too. :-)

Old
  (#35)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.04.2015, 09:09 AM

So I taught myself how to polish with a dremel today. I had only ever wet sanded and polished by hand in the past, as that is all I had ever been shown to do. When I was growing up my school never had a woodwork/metalwork class, so I never learnt a lot of things I wish that I could have.

This week's project was to restore & polish a set of front & rear Unlimited Engineering Ultralite Diff Cases. I started trying to wet sand them, and quickly gave up. Far too intricate to sand & polish by hand. This is what I was working with anyway:

So I cracked out google, and sure enough youtube was there to save the day lol. Pretty happy with the way they turned out:

Old
  (#36)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.04.2015, 12:00 PM

Looks good indeed!
May I ask where you buy most of the parts?
Checking Ebay every day?

And may I ask wich grid sandpaper you use to make it shine so much?

Old
  (#37)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.05.2015, 01:01 AM

Hey man. I try not to search ebay as much as possible as there is a great deal of fakes going around to be honest. I am a member of a facebook group called Centralemaxx, send me a pm with ur facebook details of you would like me to add you. That is where I get most of my parts. Over the last 3-4 years I have made a lot of friends in the hobby with a similar interest in rare parts as me. I live in Australia, so am very isolated when it comes to this hobby, but through the hobby have made very close friends in the states and all of europe...

Everything I know about polishing I learnt from a friend of mine on the UE forums. Sweetride4Me was one of the 2 guys behind the sweetstrobe braces for the maxx trucks, and is a great guy. He loves to hand polish, and after several of us asked how it is done, he put aside a weekend and documented a how to, as well as post up some youtube videos also. Check it, as it is a good way to get started:

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ghlight=polish

Regarding what grit sandpaper to use, it kind of comes down to what you are working with, & how scratched up it is... If you say were working on a new part, without any abuse, then I would start with 1000 grit, then onto 1200, 1500 and finish off with 2000. Once you have gone over the part with 2000, you can then polish using Meguirs Metal Polish to get rid of all the small scratches and bring out that mirror finish. It is very much you get what you put into it. The more you sand, the better the result. If you are working on used parts, then it will save you a lot of heart ache to hit it with 400 grit 1st, then 800, then 1000 & so on...

Ruud
Old
  (#38)
tinuss
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

Ruud - 07.06.2015, 02:13 AM

idd Unlimited Engineering en Centralemaxx RC op Facebook .... :)
mocht je wat willen weten lama horen ..

and back to English... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruudxd View Post
Looks good indeed!
May I ask where you buy most of the parts?
Checking Ebay every day?

And may I ask wich grid sandpaper you use to make it shine so much?

Last edited by tinuss; 07.06.2015 at 02:18 AM.

Old
  (#39)
tinuss
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.06.2015, 02:14 AM

Indeed...

a Worldwide hobby ..... :)

Old
  (#40)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.06.2015, 08:55 AM

It sure is a worldwide hobby lol, cough obsession haha

Old
  (#41)
ruudxd
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.08.2015, 04:55 PM

Ah, I hoped you had a adress of someone that has a lot of rare parts, maybe he had something for a Muggy to, but that is not the case :)
I know the feeling of being isolated a bit, all the great RC stuff is in the USA, and shipping costs has seem to go upwards?
Or it is just the dollar getting higher.

Thanks for the tips on polishing, maybe I will get a look getting into it!

@ Tinuss, Thanks, But I was searching for Losi LST2/Muggy parts :)
How is the Pletti doing?

Old
  (#42)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.09.2015, 12:33 AM

I am very much a Maxx man ruudxd, so do not know much about the muggy other than it is tough as nails...

Shipping kills me too, I bought a CowRC Pit Mat, and it cost me over $100 in shipping alone. Basically cost me as much in shipping as it did the Mat itself, BUT it was worth it. CowRC Mats are pure amazing, megnetic so your screws & hardware do no get lost. I love working on mine...

Old
  (#43)
RC-Monster Mike
Site Owner

07.09.2015, 12:31 PM

It isn't you, ruudxd - shipping costs have gone up every year as the USPS struggles to stop the bleeding losses. International rates in particular, have risen very significantly.

Old
  (#44)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

07.09.2015, 12:40 PM

Very cool trucks.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#45)
DarkSammy
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.11.2015, 08:57 AM

The scary thing about USPS, is that it is cheaper than Australian shipping. Costs at least 25-30% more for me to ship to the states than it costs my friends to ship from the states to me...