RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

Revo questions???
Old
  (#1)
Jammin57
RC-Monster Stock

Revo questions??? - 08.04.2008, 01:34 PM

I am new to electric and brushless and wanting to kinda get into it.
I have a 3.3 revo chassis laying around with all the tekno hop up's on it
(not the electric stuff) it needs a few small parts to get running again and was wondering if its better to put a conversion on it or sell it and get a
e-revo and turn it to brushless???

Also I have a mamba max from a rock crawler and from what I have read on here most of the revo's run on a mm,9xl, and 4s lipo and was kinda looking at running the same because I dont want to spend the money for another esc and dont want to spend over $200 for my first motor is it better to run the whole tekno brushless conversion with the clutch or use the rcm motor mount for the revo???

Any info would be alot of help I am new to this so if something like this was asked already I apologize in advanced. Thanks

Old
  (#2)
suicideneil
Old Skool

08.04.2008, 02:42 PM

Welcome, you came to the right place.

Since you already have the nitro chassis it makes more sense to finish it off than to buy all the Erevo parts (chassis, tranny, skids etc).

MM esc works great with 4s lipo and the 9XL, though lots of new motors are appearing and more are planned in the following months, so better choices to be had for your budget will soon be available. Just use a small fan and an external BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) or Rx pack- remove the redwire from the Rx lead.

TeknoRc vs RCM motor mount is a good question, but they are 2 different ways are doing the conversion. The tekno uses a clutch so that you can only run in forwards, and use mechanical brakes. The RCM route allows you to use forwards/brake/reverse via the motor and esc if you lock the tranny into 2nd gear, or keep it unlocked and use the esc in forwards only mode, to utilize mech brakes. Either route works fine, but if using the MM the RCM option offers more possible setups.

Only real thing to concider is the need to buy or make your own battery and electronics mounts with the nitro chassis, but there are plenty of existing conversions to look at for inspiration in that department.

Old
  (#3)
david lamontagn

08.04.2008, 02:45 PM

I've had both (nitro convert to electric and now the new e-revo) and if you want my better recomendations, go for the e-revo
The only down side, is that you'll have to run 2 packs.
So if you have your li-po and don't want to buy another one, go for the conversion, but if you can afford 2 new li-po pack, believe me, go for the new e-revo, you'll fall in love with this truck

Old
  (#4)
Jammin57
RC-Monster Stock

08.04.2008, 03:16 PM

I was kinda leaning more to the 3.3 chassis I have but if people who have had both say the e-revo is alot better then I might end up selling my 3.3 and just buying the e-revo.

I am planning on using the mechanical brakes because I was gonna make it as easy on the motor/esc as i can. I dont have a battery yet and only have 1lipo charger(Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC)

suicideneil,
Is there any other motors that might be a better choice for a revo that doesnt cost alot of $$$$. I have always raced nitro so im used to not having reverse so that isnt something I will need.

If i use the rcm mount I will buy the tekno esc mount and battery tray for it but would it be better to use the direct drive(rcm mount) or the tekno with the clutch set up.

Old
  (#5)
suicideneil
Old Skool

08.05.2008, 05:40 PM

Hmm, I would say coming from nitro to electric, the techno motor mount and clutch would be more up your street really. Lots of motors to choose from that cost less than the Neus:

CastleNeu (mmm motor) will be here end of the month-ish = $100 or so.
Medusa 60mm motors are great, or the 70mm are coming soon too- $110-140.
Feigao XL motors- cheap, but they do the trick = $70-80 (get a clamp too ideally).
Hacker clones- from bidproduct.com 540 XL sized = $40-50 (trying one myself soon).
Megamotors - 22/35 & 22/45 sized = $100-190, depends on size exactly.

I think thats all the major ones covered really, any of those would do the trick, just match the kv rating to the input voltage, got some info on that in a FAQ I did:

clicky

If sticking to the nitro chassis, see about getting a motor mount brace that bolts to the underside of the chassis where the engine would normally go, helps stiffen the area up and reinforces the chassis.