Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm telling Patrick you said that!

Old
  (#17)
Overdriven
Destroyer of Tires

02.21.2011, 07:04 PM

The junkyards by me are also the place to go to buy aftermarket sheetmetal, so you can check with them for it too. If you can manage to install it yourself, I can't see them charging more than $300-400 to paint it and the corner of the bumper.

Some shops really try to stick it to you though. That $40 fender is at least $100 on your bill, plus labor.

LST XXL MMM 1717 Custom Fabbed Conversion

Old
  (#18)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

02.21.2011, 07:29 PM

Check with a Econo Auto Painting or Maaco. They'll do it cheap.

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#19)
Snowman 78
5,280 feet above sea level

02.21.2011, 08:54 PM

Used Parts
http://car-part.com/
Aftermarket parts
http://www.lkqcorp.com/

Just for fun this is how much my Estimate to repair $1,436.00 your vehicle would be: (with OEM parts)

Brushless Rustler
AX10
Venom Creeper
Slash 2WD
Slash 4WD

Old
  (#20)
What's_nitro?
Soldermaster Extraordinaire

02.21.2011, 09:00 PM

Why would you charge "labor" for buying paint supplies?

I am faster than Buzz Lightyear.

Old
  (#21)
Snowman 78

02.21.2011, 09:24 PM

The cost of paint (supplies) is based on the hr's it will take to paint (weird I know)
Brian,
You may be able to file an insurance claim and "cash out" insurance pays the full amount to repair the vehicle less the deductible and then you fix it yourself. Also a lot of insurance companies will not charge a rate increase if the total amount they pay out is less than $1,000.00 you may be able to ask your agent about it.

Brushless Rustler
AX10
Venom Creeper
Slash 2WD
Slash 4WD

Old
  (#22)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

02.21.2011, 11:22 PM

Snowman, let's just say I won't be going to you! :P

By the way, the headlight assembly is fine. She managed to juuuuust miss it. And it's a hatchback (not that it matters for the front area). But what's with all that other stuff? Unless you know more about the damage than I, to me it looks like just a fender replacement/paint. The front bumper can stay as-is (or I may touch it up myself) since it's plastic and won't rust.

Hell, at this rate, I might just sand it down a little, spray something resembling the right color, and be done with it. Spending much more than $500 on a car worth probably $5k doesn't seem to make much sense especially since the damage is cosmetic.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#23)
BP-Revo
BMW M Power!

02.22.2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Spending much more than $500 on a car worth probably $5k doesn't seem to make much sense especially since the damage is cosmetic.
Unfortunately, from what I understand, the condition of the exterior of the car is an indication of how the car was treated.

While a car that looks great on the outside may not necessarily look great on the inside - a car that looks terrible on the outside usually does not look great on the inside...

BL Revo: CF G2R, LMT1940/7, 6S FP 30C Lipos, MMM, Hitec 5955TG
CRT .5: 7075 Ext Chassis, LMT1930/7, FP 25C 3S Lipos, MM

Old
  (#24)
Snowman 78

02.22.2011, 10:43 AM

Well sir, I am an Insurance Adjuster my estimate is to repair the vehicle perfect using OEM parts. Even if the headlamp is working and not broken if there is any cosmetic (scratch, chip, nick ect) it would be replaced. The blend on the Lt Ft door is to insure that the paint all matches. Otherwise you would be able to tell that just the fender had been painted.

However there are many ways to repair a vehicle, your plan of just buying a fender and putting it on would be the cheapest way to do.

Brushless Rustler
AX10
Venom Creeper
Slash 2WD
Slash 4WD

Old
  (#25)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.22.2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman 78 View Post
Well sir, I am an Insurance Adjuster my estimate is to repair the vehicle perfect using OEM parts. Even if the headlamp is working and not broken if there is any cosmetic (scratch, chip, nick ect) it would be replaced. The blend on the Lt Ft door is to insure that the paint all matches. Otherwise you would be able to tell that just the fender had been painted.

However there are many ways to repair a vehicle, your plan of just buying a fender and putting it on would be the cheapest way to do.
Yes, your estimate is a properly (close enough) written insurance estimate.

A good shop will get close on the color, especially if you remove the existing fender and let them use it as a guide when they match the color.

Old
  (#26)
gixxer
RC-Monster Titanium

02.22.2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Hell, at this rate, I might just sand it down a little, spray something resembling the right color, and be done with it. Spending much more than $500 on a car worth probably $5k doesn't seem to make much sense especially since the damage is cosmetic.
That is my thought. Probably why I drive an 07 legacy with a broken tail light unit (still works but clear part cracked) and close enough black paint (no little blue flake) on ther rear fender. Insureance said it was $1600 of damage. I did order a another tail light off ebay but haven't changed it yet though.

Kyosho SC, tekin rs, D3 17.5
Hyper 9e, mmp,tekin 1900kv
Associated sc10 4x4, novak 4.5

Old
  (#27)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

02.28.2011, 03:15 PM

Most auto parts stores sell "factory match" paint in a small spray can, and if they don't have your color they can get it. Just remove any cracked paint and cover up any bare metal. Then let her buck.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#28)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

02.28.2011, 04:00 PM

Seeing this thread reminded me that I should probably post an update. I went to several other local body shops and they were all pretty much in line with each other.

To just fix the problem area to be passably decent and nothing else, I'm looking at ~$800. A couple places were quite a bit lower, but they were in run-down garages with crappy lots (looked more like a chop-shop IMO). To me, the appearance of your business means a lot, so I'm not gonna go to those places. Who knows, the car may be passable cosmetically, but I might be mysteriously missing other parts by the time they're done.

To get it fixed to new, it's gonna run ~$1800. To get that figure, I talked to my insurance, explained the situation, and took the car to a few of the places they recommended. My deductible is $250 for collision (which is what this would be claimed under), and my rate wouldn't increase since I rarely make claims.

So, it comes down to if I think $250 is worth it on an older car, not to mention being without a car for a few days. Or I just half-ass it myself with a little sanding, bondo, and slap some paint on there. At this point, I'm thinking of sanding where metal shows (mostly where I drilled the holes), and just prime it.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#29)
josh9mille
RC-Monster Aluminum

02.28.2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Seeing this thread reminded me that I should probably post an update. I went to several other local body shops and they were all pretty much in line with each other.

To just fix the problem area to be passably decent and nothing else, I'm looking at ~$800. A couple places were quite a bit lower, but they were in run-down garages with crappy lots (looked more like a chop-shop IMO). To me, the appearance of your business means a lot, so I'm not gonna go to those places. Who knows, the car may be passable cosmetically, but I might be mysteriously missing other parts by the time they're done.

To get it fixed to new, it's gonna run ~$1800. To get that figure, I talked to my insurance, explained the situation, and took the car to a few of the places they recommended. My deductible is $250 for collision (which is what this would be claimed under), and my rate wouldn't increase since I rarely make claims.

So, it comes down to if I think $250 is worth it on an older car, not to mention being without a car for a few days. Or I just half-ass it myself with a little sanding, bondo, and slap some paint on there. At this point, I'm thinking of sanding where metal shows (mostly where I drilled the holes), and just prime it.
Spend the 250 and stop being cheap. If you ever decide to sell that car and it has a bandaid fix that you did yourself people are going to run away. Its like you said about the appearance of a business correlating with the quality of work they do. If someone sees a car with a fender they just slapped some bondo and paint on they will think you dont take care of your cars very well. I laugh when I hear people saying a 5 or 6 yr old car as being "older". I have never owned a car newer than a 95. If I wrecked my 94 Altima and it was only gonna cost me 250 to fix it I wouldnt even think twice about it, it would be in the body shop ASAP

Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff.

Last edited by josh9mille; 02.28.2011 at 04:29 PM.

Old
  (#30)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

02.28.2011, 04:29 PM

right on, just cover the bare metal and let her buck. You have the paint code, go to any auto parts store that sells paint and you can have a "touch up" bottle mixed. It's just like a half ounce of your paint. You can brush it on like fingernail polish around the holes to get a color match. Still prime first of course.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.