RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Revo

Custom 1/8th center diff inside the stock Revo tranny!
Old
  (#1)
kingiggy262
BL-Revo

Custom 1/8th center diff inside the stock Revo tranny! - 03.20.2008, 05:55 PM

Hey guys this idea and pictures are from the user Cowboy here on the forums and I am just sharing and posting these pics up for anyone interested.

This is based on a thunder tiger ttr s3 buggy diff.

Last edited by kingiggy262; 03.21.2008 at 02:34 PM.

Old
  (#2)
suicideneil
Old Skool

03.20.2008, 07:17 PM

Wow, that looks like something Mike would sell, or a more polished version of Wallots custom Cd for the old emaxx tranny. I wouldnt Mind Cowboy shedding some light on the design ( I am far to polite to PM people asking questions)....

Old
  (#3)
Cowboy

03.20.2008, 07:42 PM

I made and sold these diffs when I was racing a Revo years ago. I sold about 300 of these and stopped when Traxxas came out with theirs. I figured most people would buy the cheap traxxas instead of mine. They were based on a TTR S3 buggy diff which is one of the smoothest out there. I no longer make these and really don't want to start. I have no problem with other people making them though. If you want the drawing PM me. I've sent the drawing to a couple of people they can post it here if they want. I still have some misc parts laying around if any one is interested.

Old
  (#4)
jnev
RC-Monster Brushless

03.20.2008, 11:09 PM

So this thing will drop right in? Will it keep forward only, no reverse and the tranny locked into 2nd gear? If yes is the answer to all of them, I'd be very interested in one.

Old
  (#5)
kingiggy262
BL-Revo

03.20.2008, 11:22 PM

I'm pretty sure this drops in just like the Traxxas center diff that you can buy for the Revo. This has many advantages over the Traxxas CD though because of the fact that it uses a buggy diff with more spider gears inside.

Hey Cowboy I sent you a PM!

Old
  (#6)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

03.20.2008, 11:37 PM

I am guessing that the traxxas cd has only 2 spider gears. If so the modded one that cowboy did will be much better.

Old
  (#7)
kingiggy262
BL-Revo

03.21.2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
I am guessing that the traxxas cd has only 2 spider gears. If so the modded one that cowboy did will be much better.
Correct, the Traxxas CD only uses 2 spider gears but the 1/8th diffs use 4 spider gears.

Old
  (#8)
intrg8r
RC-Monster Stock

07.08.2008, 06:13 PM

cowboy if you are still around, I'll take you up on the offer and will take and parts you have. Let me know. I know a decent number of people interested in purchasing one to replace their traxxas cd.

Last edited by intrg8r; 07.08.2008 at 06:16 PM.

Old
  (#9)
intrg8r
RC-Monster Stock

07.20.2008, 09:19 PM

Anyone have one of these that they want to part with??? I have one and want another two or three. I am attempting to put them back in production.

Old
  (#10)
dklst

11.18.2008, 05:41 AM

Let me know if u start producing them. I would definitely buy 1. I cant stand the stock CD because the front is unloading too much. Yet i dont wanna remove it because it does help keep it from spinning out and breaking rear diffs. But i want more tuneability.

Has anyone found anything thicker the 500k? I cant seem to find 700k anywhere.

Old
  (#11)
retiredtech
RC-Monster Stock

02.19.2009, 09:52 PM

Yes I found something thats around 700k or 800k, it's OFNA diff lock lube # 10230. Around $9.00, I mix it with 500k to adjust for conditions. Just don't heat it to get it into your diff, I tried that and it turned into 10k.

Old
  (#12)
mistercrash
Guelph, Canada, eh!

02.21.2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklst View Post
I cant stand the stock CD because the front is unloading too much. Yet i dont wanna remove it because it does help keep it from spinning out and breaking rear diffs. But i want more tuneability.

Has anyone found anything thicker the 500k? I cant seem to find 700k anywhere.
Like retiredtech mentioned, OFNA Diff Lock is thicker than 500k. Especially the 500k from Traxxas. Somehow, the Traxxas 500k doesn't seem to be as thick as the Kyosho 500k for example. One thing I tried is Racers Edge Diff Locking Putty, some rock crawler people use it to lock their diffs. I put OFNA Diff lock in the CD but left enough space to put the equivalent of a large pea of Racer's Edge Putty in it two. The putty (it looks and feels like silly putty) mixes well with the diff lube and makes the CD much tighter. Here's a pic of what it looks like inside the CD when the OFNA diff lock lube and Racer's Edge Putty are mixed together.

You can tune the CD by putting less putty for a looser feel or more to get a tighter feel. It's been working great for me. I only used it for my 3.3 Revo. The truck barely pulls wheelies under hard acceleration when there's a lot of traction. It definitely doesn't unload excessively anymore. The pic shows an ERevo CD

No brain, no headaches.

Last edited by mistercrash; 02.21.2009 at 10:34 AM.

Old
  (#13)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

02.21.2009, 07:57 PM

I had one of Cowboys center diffs actually. I think Brian might still have it. Reason I sold it though was cause I had it in my nitro Revo and to be completely honest, it turned well, but stopped terribly. Thats why I ditched it and went with the Traxxas setup because you can't use rear brakes with his, so on a nitro with front brakes only, it would end up doing nose wheelies trying to brake before turns.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever  
Old
  (#14)
mistercrash
Guelph, Canada, eh!

02.21.2009, 09:50 PM

I have read a whole bunch of stuff regarding this diff from cowboy (thanks cowboy for the file you sent by the way) and I don't get why you can't use the rear brake. All that's needed is a longer shaft with an extra hole in it for the pin of the rear brake hub. I must be missing something here.

No brain, no headaches.

Old
  (#15)
squeeforever
RC-Monster Mod

02.21.2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrash View Post
I have read a whole bunch of stuff regarding this diff from cowboy (thanks cowboy for the file you sent by the way) and I don't get why you can't use the rear brake. All that's needed is a longer shaft with an extra hole in it for the pin of the rear brake hub. I must be missing something here.
Yea, you should be able to do that no problem. Finding a shaft long enough will be the difficult part. The Traxxas shaft with the gear cut off should be long enough.
  Send a message via AIM to squeeforever