Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff
Old
  (#1)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff - 01.29.2010, 05:50 PM

Decided to start a new project, a Monster GT conversion running a center diff and 6S. This thing will be a great conversion project as it is a great MT platform to convert and should hold up alot better than my E-maxx.

So, after having my E-Maxx for a couple years now and after upgrading it constantly and it still breaks, I decided it was time to retire the Maxx and convert a new MT. I have an old, original Monster GT, and after some thinking, I decided to go search for it in my garage. I found it and noticed it was missing some parts (Damn garage gremlin... ) but after some searching on ebay, I realized just how cheap it would be to convert this truck.

Anyway, it currently needs....

Rear bulkhead, front and rear turnbuckles, rear diff, rear skidplate, front shock tower and new rear shock tower, shocks, rear bumper mounts, radio tray, and there is probably a couple other things that I am forgetting. I can get all of this for under $75 on Ebay (ordering now).

Electronics going in it will be -

Tekin 1550Kv truggy motor
Castle MMM ESC
Turnigy 3S 4000mAh 40C/50C (2x, wired in series for 6S)

I will be using the center diff setup out of my Maxx (I made my own version of RCM's Maxx center diff motor mount).

Here are some pictures I took of it a few minutes ago, I haven't cleaned it up yet, but I will in a bit and get some more pictures of it when it's clean.

Also, does anyone know the ring gear tooth count for the Monster GT diffs? I can't find that info anywhere....

More pictures and updates soon!

Monster GT Conversion

Proud Member & Online Recruiter for Team Terribles!
Mugen MBX5-T - Rc-bearings.com

Last edited by Krawlin; 01.29.2010 at 09:44 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin  
Old
  (#2)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

01.29.2010, 06:26 PM

An update already.....

I just ordered a bunch of stuff off of ebay for this truck, total was $79.93, $102.33 with shipping. Here is what I got -

EDIT: Forgot the radio box, had to go back and order that, but it was only $1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330393321670

And for all of that on Amain probably would have been well over $150, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

Monster GT Conversion

Last edited by Krawlin; 01.29.2010 at 06:33 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin  
Old
  (#3)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

01.29.2010, 11:50 PM

Alright folks, here are some rough mock up pictures. I will have the clearance the chassis for the spur but not much, maybe 1/8'' to 3/16'' on either side would be plenty.

First order of business though is to install the rear diff as soon as possible so I can move on to positioning the center diff where I can use some of the dogbone shafts I current have. If I can only position the center diff where I can only use 1 of the dog bones I have, I will have to buy an RCM Revo shaft coupler adapter for use with 1/8 diffs and make a custom length rear shaft with a Revo shaft. And I may even do that for the front center since I will be running a bigger pinion on the motor, which will move it upward, which in turn will allow me to use a front center Revo shaft.

Anyway, I'll figure it out when I get to that point. Once I get everything I order from Ebay, I'll get it all together, rob the the 23mm adapters off my E-Maxx and install them on this truck and put on my 40 series crime fighters and see how it looks as a rolller! That will be the first time in about 4 years that it will be a roller. I've had the truck for about 6 years (it's an original .21 Monster GT), ran it for 2 years, then it sat in my garage for the past 4 years and I've been robbing parts off of it for other stuff.

Now on to the good part, pictures!

Again, these are just rough mock up pictures, it will look better alot better as the project continues.

Monster GT Conversion

Old
  (#4)
trev3813
Dsm needed

01.30.2010, 12:11 AM

Lookin good man!
  Send a message via AIM to trev3813 Send a message via MSN to trev3813  
Old
  (#5)
rawfuls
roofles.

01.30.2010, 01:17 AM

Very nice, it does remind me of an EMaxx (the first few pictures). Besides the random aluminum.
  Send a message via AIM to rawfuls Send a message via MSN to rawfuls  
Old
  (#6)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

01.31.2010, 09:13 PM

Got some work done on it today, I'll have some new pictures posted in a couple of hours.

Monster GT Conversion

Old
  (#7)
trev3813
Dsm needed

01.31.2010, 09:54 PM

THE WAIT IS KILLING MEE, aha, kidding, im anxious tho,
  Send a message via AIM to trev3813 Send a message via MSN to trev3813  
Old
  (#8)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

02.01.2010, 11:58 AM

Alright everyone, here are some new pics!

Progress made so far.... got the center diff mounted, got the chassis brace mount almost finished, still have to drill 2 holes in the chassis to screw it down in 2 more places, got my front and rear driveshafts setup perfectly (rear not pictured yet), and got the battery straps mounted.

Monster GT Conversion

Old
  (#9)
Bondonutz
Fat Kid Engineering

02.01.2010, 01:19 PM

Q;
What are the diffs like in the MGT, are they 1/10th scale like TRX diffs or are they bigger and beefier like a 1/8th scale ???

The lay out and pack placement looks good, COG should be great for a MT !

I retired from RC, now life is all about guns and long range shooting.

Old
  (#10)
_paralyzed_
working on a brushless for my wheelchair.....

02.01.2010, 03:43 PM

MGT diffs are 1/8 scale, with a good shimming and silicone fluid they hold up pretty well. Stock and grease packed diffs can even be eaten up by a nitro motor.

The MGT is a pretty solid truck.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#11)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.01.2010, 03:51 PM

Worst part of a MGT was the crap tranny, which this conversion has taken care of! I never really cared for the mgt but the chassis is very tough. If the diffs can handle brushless it should be a great setup.

I love that giant turnbuckles that supports the motor plate, good idea!

Old
  (#12)
_paralyzed_

02.01.2010, 04:06 PM

like alot of trannys (Linc knows his trannys!) the stock form w/ reverse is weakish. With a forward ony conversion I haven't broken one, but I haven't run brushless power through one so I can't comment on that.

Mostly I wanted to say something about Linc and trannys.

It's "Dr. _paralyzed_" actually. Not like with a PhD, but Doctor like in Dr. Pepper.

Old
  (#13)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

02.01.2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
like alot of trannys (Linc knows his trannys!) the stock form w/ reverse is weakish. With a forward ony conversion I haven't broken one, but I haven't run brushless power through one so I can't comment on that.

Mostly I wanted to say something about Linc and trannys.
Yeah, I know a few trannys. Google "Harold Bauman" for pictures.

Old
  (#14)
_paralyzed_

02.01.2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Yeah, I know a few trannys. Google "Harold Bauman" for pictures.
Shhhhh. I know a guy from Brazil that specializes in "conversions"

Old
  (#15)
Krawlin
Got brushless?

02.01.2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondonutz View Post
Q;
What are the diffs like in the MGT, are they 1/10th scale like TRX diffs or are they bigger and beefier like a 1/8th scale ???

The lay out and pack placement looks good, COG should be great for a MT !
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _paralyzed_ View Post
MGT diffs are 1/8 scale, with a good shimming and silicone fluid they hold up pretty well. Stock and grease packed diffs can even be eaten up by a nitro motor.

The MGT is a pretty solid truck.
X2 on what Harold said. The diffs are 1/8th scale, using an 8mm pinion shaft and 13/48 for the ring/pinion. I haven't heard any issues about the diffs before to be honest, main complaint about it was usually the tranny in the original Monster GT, but now the 4.6SE and 8.0 edition have all metal gears.

Does anyone know if there is anything extra required to run silicone oil in the MGT diffs? For some reason I remember reading that the MGT diffs wouldn't hold oil unless one bought a seal kit for them? I'll take the front (and rear when I get it) bulkheads apart and take apart the diffs and see if there is a seal in them, and probably put 10k oil in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincpimp View Post
Worst part of a MGT was the crap tranny, which this conversion has taken care of! I never really cared for the mgt but the chassis is very tough. If the diffs can handle brushless it should be a great setup.

I love that giant turnbuckles that supports the motor plate, good idea!
The diffs will handle brushless since they are 8th scale, but as Harold said, need to be shimmed properly, but that pretty much applies to every diff anyway.

And thanks, I actually got the idea from the 1st gen RC8T's chassis braces, which are basically the same. I used a rear upper camber link and rod end from an OFNA Ultra/LX series buggy and the king pin pivot ball from an OFNA Mutilator truggy.

Monster GT Conversion