RC-Monster Forums  
RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > CORR Trucks - Slash, SCRT10, etc.

10x15x4
Old
  (#1)
reno911
Smelly Nitro meet your maker!

10x15x4 - 07.26.2010, 03:03 PM

So over the weekend the Slash 4x4 destroyed it's 3rd 10x15x4 bearing that the slipper rests on. Never found any of the balls, or one of the rubber seals. I had to pry the top part of the bearing out of the aluminum mount.

So anyone else going through bearings?

I have tried a few Traxxas replacements and now have decided to ask for some advice on a better brand bearing.

I am going to hit up the LHS tonight to see if they have something that will work for now, but I really am in need of a good long lasting replacement.

Old
  (#2)
bruce750i
RC-Monster Aluminum

07.26.2010, 03:23 PM

Ive read about some guys running a smaller bearing inside of the 10x15x4 on the slipper shaft, instead of the plastic (melt down) cone washer. IDK if it would work with the center diff.

Old
  (#3)
JoFreak
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.26.2010, 03:41 PM

As far as I know this is the solution to that problem.
It's a bit pricy, but there are 2 bearings included, but how much cheaper is it over time to repeatedly destroy 10x15x4 bearings? Not counting the annoyence of replacing the destroyed bearings.

Old
  (#4)
Arct1k
RC-Monster Mod

07.26.2010, 03:43 PM

check out avid bearings

Old
  (#5)
lincpimp
Check out my huge box!

07.26.2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFreak View Post
As far as I know this is the solution to that problem.
It's a bit pricy, but there are 2 bearings included, but how much cheaper is it over time to repeatedly destroy 10x15x4 bearings? Not counting the annoyence of replacing the destroyed bearings.
Looks like a good upgrade to me, and decent price at 35 bucks.

Old
  (#6)
reno911

07.26.2010, 05:03 PM

I bought king heads, slipper adapter cone, that with the traxxas aluminum mount I figured I would go through less bearings. King headz came out with that mount after the fact I bought everything. I really don't feel like buying another mount.

I went to the LHS during my lunch and picked up a set of their bearings. I will see how well these last. They are again rubber shielded like the Traxxas ones.

If they fail I will look into the Avid bearings or try something with a metal shield.

Old
  (#7)
kazuaki
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.26.2010, 09:06 PM

reno911,

I bought a 5x15x5 bearing from Boca Bearing. This will replace the crap Traxxas bearing along with the adapter cone. With a few spacers, it can be made to fit with no issues. I have not had any failures with this setup. I just recently installed the new King Headz motor mount because it's cool and I'm a sucker for new parts . Lemme know if you just want to try out the 5x15x5 bearing. I probably have an extra.

Old
  (#8)
reno911

07.26.2010, 10:04 PM

Cool thanks.

I have two 10x15x4's to burn through first.

Old
  (#9)
Losi LST2
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.26.2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
reno911,

I bought a 5x15x5 bearing from Boca Bearing. This will replace the crap Traxxas bearing along with the adapter cone. With a few spacers, it can be made to fit with no issues. I have not had any failures with this setup. I just recently installed the new King Headz motor mount because it's cool and I'm a sucker for new parts . Lemme know if you just want to try out the 5x15x5 bearing. I probably have an extra.
how are you liking the KH motor mount?,

Old
  (#10)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.26.2010, 11:20 PM

I just bored out a stock mount for the 10X19X5:

Old
  (#11)
reno911

07.27.2010, 12:00 AM

Not too shabby.

Old
  (#12)
kazuaki
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.27.2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi LST2 View Post
how are you liking the KH motor mount?,
So far, so good. The machining is top notch and it fits great. The new bearing is a lot beefier and they even give you two of them for that price.

Old
  (#13)
Losi LST2
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.27.2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I just bored out a stock mount for the 10X19X5:
now would it have really been so had for traxxas to do that in the first place??

Old
  (#14)
Losi LST2
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.27.2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
So far, so good. The machining is top notch and it fits great. The new bearing is a lot beefier and they even give you two of them for that price.
i might look into picking one up then. does the aluminum seem like it's good quality?...i don't want to end up buying one if it's not going to hold up...kinda like some other company....cough integy cough

Old
  (#15)
ta_man
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.27.2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi LST2 View Post
i might look into picking one up then. does the aluminum seem like it's good quality?...i don't want to end up buying one if it's not going to hold up...kinda like some other company....cough integy cough
I think anything from King Headz is going to be far superior to anything Integy. Just being made of 7075 instead of the more typical 6061 is a plus.

Interesting thing though: I decided I wasn't going to run my 4X4 until I got a STRC aluminum mount. Having the aluminum mount, I am the only one at my track (out of 20 cars) that has had problems with the center bearing (twice: once it seized and then a second one blew up completely).

A friend of mine suggested that the heat from the motor, being conducted through the aluminum mount to the bearing, caused the bearing lube to thin and run out leading to my bearing failures. That's why I did the mod to the platic mount first. (Also, it was the first time I had ever used a boring head and I didn't want to "experiment" on a $25 mount when I could do it on a $4 mount.)