Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Mini truggy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Well, here is my CRT.5e
Old
  (#1)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

Well, here is my CRT.5e - 03.20.2011, 09:04 PM

Got this crt.5 at the end of January on ebay for a decent price. Was pretty beat up, but came with an almost new 0.12 nitro motor thingy....Sold that off to some guy in Australia for $45, which was great for me!
I spent probably 4x in parts than what I did for the truggy to start with...haha

Not even sure why I bought it...just impulse you know? very bad Brian!

Anyway, took the Mamba Max 4600 combo outta my slash, and the radio system, to use in this. Used a lot of SCRT10 parts on the build to make it really easy. I knew that I did NOT want the RCM extended chassis conversion, I wanted to keep it as small as possible.

Enough with the jabbering, here are some pictures!

This is how I got it, dirty, used, broken, nitro

Here are all the nitro bits removed and ready to send out of the country! Good riddens!

Cleaned up, and these are all the salvageable parts from the auction I won....time to hop on ebay! Thank god for cheap chop shops! I guess there were a few more things, like the front cvds and stuff. But most of it is in the picture.

Now that looks pretty dang good!

Gotta love Castle!

Front Jato shocks. What I bought didn't come with shocks. I figured I wasn't out much since everyone hates them. Went straight to the upgraded stuff!!

Front 1/8th buggy shocks. Got the shock kit for like $17 I think. Not too bad!

Stock springs ride a tiny bit high, but I think I'll let it slide, as I like ground clearance ;)

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#2)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.20.2011, 09:09 PM

Chassis looks brand new!! Hardly a scratch! Picked up some plastic chassis guards too, I figured why not?

Painted up a stock body for it, only $12 shipped to my door! Not including the paint though.

And she's ready to run!

I got to test her out at a track in my home town they just built. Having terrible luck with the front knuckles...I've broken 3 in 4 battery packs!!!

Waiting on another pair to get here and I hope it was just bad luck....if not I might have to drop big money on some aluminum ones. I see someone makes a set for the SCRT10 that are much cheaper than the OFNA set. Will go that route if I need to!

It was a blast to drive while it lasted though....much different than a savage or a slash.

Last edited by brainanator; 03.20.2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old
  (#3)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.21.2011, 08:21 AM

Nice looking truck, seems like a simple build.

Nick

Old
  (#4)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.21.2011, 12:20 PM

Yup, pretty straight forward. Toughest part was getting the shocks to mount up well enough.

Old
  (#5)
nastety92
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

03.21.2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainanator View Post
Yup, pretty straight forward. Toughest part was getting the shocks to mount up well enough.
Yeah I went through the same thing with mine. I ended up buying RC8 front shocks and the AE standoffs along with bushings for the shock caps. It worked out well but cost a good deal of $$.

How do you like that 4600 combo in there?

Nick

Old
  (#6)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.21.2011, 01:15 PM

What I have been able to drive of it I think it works great on 2S.
Temps were around 130-140F on the motor, and cool on the ESC after some runs on the track. Like I said, I haven't been able to test it as much as I wanted to since I've broken the knuckles so quickly...and now that I'm back home it had to snow again...haha.
Speed seemed right where it needed to be for the truck. I have a heat sink I'll fit on the motor if it does decide to run hot when I can finally open it up for a whole pack!

Old
  (#7)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.21.2011, 01:55 PM

I tried a 4600 combo in my CRT.5 conversion when I first got it and could not keep the motor anywhere near cool after a packs' worth of runtime. During the heat of summer, the motor would easily get to 160*F. Maybe that's ok for some, but definitely not for me. Hopefully you won't have those same temps when it gets warmer out.
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#8)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.21.2011, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the tip BrianG. It was pretty balmy when I drove it, so I'm sure it helped. I do have it geared low (12T pinion...stock spur, not sure on tooth count). The 4600 always overheated in my slash running up to the 180F when I'd be forced to shut her down.

If the 4600 isn't enough for the crt, well that's a perfect excuse to get the SCT system for it, the girlfriend can't complain then!

Old
  (#9)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.21.2011, 04:29 PM

I think that would be a MUCH better choice. I went from the 4600 system (on 2s) to a MMPro running 3s on a Medusa 36-50-3300 and the difference in temps and power was tremendous; the motor and ESC stays cool at all times yet has more than enough power to flip itself over on its lid. I never had that power with the 4600.
Old
  (#10)
magman
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

03.21.2011, 05:38 PM

On my daughter's crt.5 her setup is a mm esc w/a 3300 medusa on 3s and it does do really well and it stays cool as can be. I did put a fan on the esc just for extra cooling as she is hard on the truck

1. MBX-6 T8 1900KV, RX8 ON 4S
2. MBX-5T 1520, MMM ON 5S
3. MBX-5 ONROAD CONVERSION 1515, MMM ON 5S
4. MRX-3 ON ROAD CONVERSION 1512, MMM ON 6S
5. TEN T 2650 T8, MMP ON 3S

Old
  (#11)
scarletboa
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.23.2011, 11:32 AM

i am using the castle sct combo in my crt .5 and it has been great. i am running stock sized tires and a 19t pinion on 3s. it is geared too high, but the motor only hits 120-130F and the esc will thermal after about 10 minutes. i will dropping the pinion down to a 16t or maybe a 15t.

the power that little motor makes is ridiculous and it doesn't run too hot with a huge load.

They say a good mechanic only needs 2 tools - WD40 & Duct tape. If it moves, and its not supposed to, duct tape. If it doesn't move, and its supposed to, WD40.

Old
  (#12)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.23.2011, 11:53 AM

picked up a medusa 3300Kv motor from a member on here. Should be a a little better when the temp outside heats up. Will have to get a bigger pinion now though :)

Old
  (#13)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.23.2011, 12:17 PM

Better yet, run 3s lipo. I run a 3300mAh Elite pack and easily get 25 minutes runtime.
Old
  (#14)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

03.23.2011, 12:30 PM

That'd mean I would have to buy more batteries. :/ I'll just run 2S until my financial situation gets a little better.

But 3S is on the horizon for sure.

Old
  (#15)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

03.23.2011, 12:32 PM

I ran 2s on mine for a little bit and understandably, top speed wasn't the best. Gearing up to regain lost speed is an option, but startup may be a bit rough and you might have ESC thermal issues from the higher currents. In short, 2s will work for now, but definitely go 3s when you can.