RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > HPI Savage

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old
  (#31)
E-Revonut
RC-Monster RC8T

04.28.2011, 06:46 PM

The HPI tires have thin sidewalls. My stock Flux tires are pretty much shot, I have torn the sidewalls of two of them. and they flex ALOT, kind of like a drag tire, aka wrinkle walls. I beleive this is part of why a stock flux pulls wheelies on demand at anything under 1/2 throttle

RC-Monster RC8T 1515 2.5D/MMM/5s RC-M 4500mah
SC10 MMPro 13.5T 2s NeuEnery 5000mah
RC18T Mamba 25/5400kv 2s lipo + 6s NiMh

Old
  (#32)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

04.29.2011, 04:03 AM

Oh crap! That doesnīt sound too good....Time will tell if they are holding up...

I like the way they handles, I have driven a truck with Gt2īs, I like them for the air controll and because they are fat and sucks up those bad landings

About them being like a drag tire, look at this vid at 2.57! They showes it zoomed around 3.05! Crazy twisting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQQvJtE5VU

Last edited by Manne; 04.29.2011 at 04:46 AM.

Old
  (#33)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.02.2011, 04:49 AM

Update:

I broke my first 23mm rim ( notice the driveshaft that is slightly bent..):

I like the small hole from the hingepin...

The driveshaft :

Old
  (#34)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.02.2011, 04:50 AM

What can I say, the rpm a-arms are most impressive! Canīt belive they held up, Around 17feet drop from the highest point in the jump, doubble backflip, too much wind and It lost track a bit.. when I pulled the brakes to not overrotate it It just turned around. Landed backwards in some weird angle at one wheel and it all ended up like this.

I will get some ceramic bearings for the wheelaxels, keep breaking them.. Itīs so hard to get the outer rings of the bearing out from the knuckle when the bearings is blown, so I made a little slot in the knuckle to be able to bash it out:

I also drilled a few holes in the CC blower to let the airflow really flooow:

And that, is all for now

Old
  (#35)
Overdriven
Destroyer of Tires

05.02.2011, 09:13 PM

The CC blower is really meant for their finned can motors. The air actually escapes between the fins. On my CC blower I actually shave the plastic at the bottom of the blower down, making it thinner in between the zip ties. So the air can escape across the top of the fins, instead of just in between them on my CC motors. Damn, you bash hard. I think I'm getting soft, I haven't broken anything in awhile!

LST XXL MMM 1717 Custom Fabbed Conversion

Old
  (#36)
Jahay
RC-Monster Titanium

05.03.2011, 04:46 AM

woah is all i can say! Nice damage there!!!!

Those RPM Arms are awesome, but they do flex a lot easier meaning bent shafts...

Old
  (#37)
Nixpus
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.04.2011, 07:23 AM

Haha now thats bashing :)

Old
  (#38)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.05.2011, 03:58 AM

Overdriven:

Yeah, you are right, it works fine now tho after I drilled the holes. I will change to my finned can as soon as I get my new tires. Haha, I donīt try to break it, but Iīm always pushing it as far as I feel I can control it, and sometimes, it gets out of control.

Jahay:

Thanks! Yeah, thatīs why I was unsure if I should go with the rpms or the stockers in the rear, ( I never manage to make this happend in the front ), and I think I will keep them, Itīs easier to change a driveshaft than have to change a broken a-arm, and....They doesnīt get bent half as easy as on the Revo............... This was a totally crazy landing, totally acceptable damage

Nixpus: Yepp

Old
  (#39)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.05.2011, 04:09 AM

Update:

Well, we have some damage

Gearboxtabs:

Both sides:

And what did I do to make this happend? Well, the chassis looks like... I donīt know what to say, I know that it is too soft now thatīs for sure When the chassi flexed out of the world it just ripped the gearbox tabs sstraight off So I finally ordered a Tcs 5mm chassis a few days ago, I hope It arrives tomorrow!

Last edited by Manne; 05.05.2011 at 04:12 AM.

Old
  (#40)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

05.05.2011, 04:12 AM

When the chassi got crazy bent, it made the front output on the gearbox hit my reciever box

But I fixed it with some glue

It doesnīt look bent in the picture, but the track is way off between the front and the rear end.. About 1cm difference..

My front skid is worn out:

But I recieved some spares just in time!

And that is all for now.

Happy bashing everyone!

Last edited by Manne; 05.05.2011 at 04:13 AM.

Old
  (#41)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.13.2011, 07:15 AM

Update:

Long time no see, but now Iīm here!

It has been tons of flux driving, alot of 1:1 car tuning and just too much work to get a chance to update, and my camera is "stolen" so I can only give you crappy phone pics= No action shots or macroshots...

Anyway, this is the case.

The car have been great so far except the gearbox housing breaking due to too much chassi flex, so I bought a tcs crawlers chassis.

But I didnīt feel comfortable with just 5mm....So I sandwitshed the stock chassi and the tcs chassi for 7.5mm on each side, totally 15mm thick chassis! No chassis bending on my truck:

I also made a new, thicker motor mount:

After I fixed that I got some major air in the sandpit, and the only thing I managed to break was shock shafts...An endless amount of shock shafts!

So, It was back to the workbench, and here is the result:

Revo 5mm pushrods:

I started to remove everything from the shock body, and then I mounted the end cap that holds the orings and drilled up the holes in the cap and the body to fit the new shaft:

I drilled up the piston:

I mounted all the necessary parts on the shock shaft and then pushed the shaft inside the shockbody:

And this is how I mounted the piston in a safe way:

metal shim:

Last edited by Manne; 07.13.2011 at 07:30 AM.

Old
  (#42)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

07.13.2011, 07:16 AM

Piston:

Metal shim again:

Locktight:

And the nut:

And this is how it looks assembled, Modified to the left, stock to the right:

The result is way beyond all expectations, it works flawless, If you put some work in it and doing everything slowly and perfect you will have indestrucible shocks.

I have beating the snot out of these babys for many hours now and I havent bent a single one! Neither do they leak any oil at all.

There is a few important things that you have to get right in order to make this work.

The hole in the lower shock cap and the shock body must be perfect, I drilled them up in a way that made the shafts go slightly unsmooth when I test fitted them in the shock, by doing that you can be sure to not get any leaks.

You have to shim between the shock spring retainer and the shock end, otherwise the piston will blow the upper shock cap off when the shock bottoms out.....And that wonīt be good at all.

The shock will end up slightly longer than stock, So the ride height is limited by the a-arms touching the skidplates, high and good for bashers, bad for racers.

Now go and get yourselfs some awsome home made supershocks!

Last edited by Manne; 07.13.2011 at 07:17 AM.

Old
  (#43)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.15.2011, 02:29 PM

Small update:

I finally broke something again The gearbox housing donīt like nose landings after I made the thicker motorplate, time to buy a alu housing.

I have a short clip too, just some regular sunday bashing, nothing fancy

Fast forward to 25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8s298EsZaE

Old
  (#44)
brainanator
RC-Monster Aluminum

08.15.2011, 02:56 PM

good stuff here! might have to try that pushrod trick someday!

OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, Savage Flux HP, MBX5Te, SCX10, Multirotors, foam planes
  Send a message via Yahoo to brainanator Send a message via MSN to brainanator  
Old
  (#45)
Manne
RC-Monster Carbon Fiber

08.17.2011, 07:24 AM

Yeah go ahead! You never have to be worried about broken shocks anymore :).